• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Rep? Cool but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I noticed that the Reputation system was changed recently. Now we can input a certain integer amount (0-4) to bestow upon people! Way cool!

However, I also noticed that it defaults to the max (4)... And personally I would like to see this changed. Don't get me wrong, it's neat to get 4 rep every time by default, but... It kinda devalues (in my mind) an already increasingly-meaningless number. Like, if you get 4 every time, that becomes the new normal. Worse, anyone giving less than 4 (even 3, or 2 or 1, not to mention 0!) might be seen as jerks/cheap-skates; you have to intentionally replace the 4 with a lower number, after all.

Thing is, I see this new system capability as a real boon to a guy like me who desires to give 'proportionate' reputation; 1 for every-day "thanks" repping, 2 & 3 for "wow, thanks a lot/resource" repping, and saving 4 for "HOLY COW YOU'RE THE BEST" repping (and 0 for commenting, which is nice). But if everyone gives 4 by default, I look like a jerk. xD

Anyway, TL;DR -- Can the default amount of Reputation given be set to 1 instead of 4 whatever our personal max is?

Last edited:
Level 7
I do agree with this. With time, 4 will become the new 1, and 1 will automatically evaluates to 0.25.

I share the same problem with people with votes (most of the time people don't know how to vote, and rate stuff that they like as 10 or 5, even with all others number - If it's average, why can't you vote 5 or 3).

Get rid of rep all together.
If people REALLY need an incentive to be active and helpful on this site then rep is not the key. It is nothing. It means nothing and it worth basically nothing.
Being helpful AND receiving credits in projects must be totally fulfilling.
If people are there for rep then they really don't have other value than some virtual numbers.

Level 7
Get rid of rep all together.
If people REALLY need an incentive to be active and helpful on this site then rep is not the key. It is nothing. It means nothing and it worth basically nothing.
Being helpful AND receiving credits in projects must be totally fulfilling.
If people are there for rep then they really don't have other value than some virtual numbers.
Well, it is a 'credit' feature. Not everyone feel fulfilled or rewarded the same way.

Level 30
Reputation is sort of a currency.

Tho I myself enjoy seeing my name in credits or "special thanks" lists more than receiving a gem, one's a one-time pleasantry, while the reputation is more of a permanent thanks you collect. Think of it as a dragon and it's treasures.

In the past, higher reputation was used mostly to "distinguish" exceptional users in specific fields of expertise, but nowadays it's more of a joke. It has rolled down quite a lot from meaning that you're a respectable member of the community.

Reactions: pyf
Level 30
I think it's merely to show "recognizable members of the community".
When you see a person with 2000+ reputation, you think of them as being good in their own field and/or being a longtime member.

However, I do think the 0 reputation, or neutral reputation as it's called, should remain a moderator only exclusive right and keep the same "role" - as a cheap, fast and above all effective way to place a warning.
On the other hand of scaling reputation awards based on how much you currently have, it's severe to see 800 reputation guys giving the same as someone with, say, 4000. I believe anywhere between 350 to 500 reputation needed to "unlock" a +1 on your reputation giving is fair and nice.

Reactions: San
Level 11
What about having something like Rep-Post Ratio.I just got this idea todat when i read this thread.

RPR = ( Total Reputation / Total Post Count ) * ( YearNow - MemberSince )

Maybe some kind of equation for calculating how much do you contribute to the community.

Example for my profile:

( 22 / 141 ) * 1 = 0.15

The higher the ration the more you contribute.

What do you guys think ?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
But this wouldn't replace the rep system.It would just be a ratio to see how much do you post irrelevant posts,so to say.
So we would have a system of Reputation, and then a separate system for your Reputation's reputation? Ehhh

Also, yeah, would penalize schmoes like me with tens of thousands of posts but no contributions. :p

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Opting to hide rep would be cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.