• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New Categories added, Voting gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Oh... at last!

finally you returned!!!

seems that immediately after your return(for most ppl)you picked up the sword and fought the horde... or the evil rating btw. :D

however it's time to put an end to that situation in wich thhe site lived all this time.

and a question...@ darky: where the f... hell have you been all this time!!! :evil: take a look around the site, thousands of forums that were for changed NEEDED into the site,and the one who could solve them didnt exist,disappeared...

and a last thing put someone as JASS section mod.

Ike

Ike

Level 4
I don't understand the logic behind the removal of the rating system. I thought that was one of the best parts of this site. What, did you remove it because peoples' feelings were getting hurt or something? Well, if they upload junk to the server that nobody will use, they probably deserve it.

Also, although the rating system can and has been abused, it's more often used fairly than abusively. Also, I thought you were supposed to impliment a banning system for belligerent downvoters? By removing the rating system, all that says to me is that you guys weren't doing your job.

U.V

U.V

Level 7
our hearts may finally be at peace -- Darky is back!! :D :D :D

i dont know about them changes in the sections in which i dont submit stuff, but removing the rating system is probably all for the best! GJ :!:

EDIT:
btw, to everyone who think the voting system shouldn't have been removed: you can still write comments about the resources like "very nice\WOW THIS IS L33T - 5\5!" :p

Level 9
finally you were drag off the WoW

you made quite a miss here Darky

now without the rating system, no more disavences i hope...

and i liked the Starwars section and the prehistoric, but why puting a Dinasty Warriors? imean, only in one week we received more models of Dinasty Warriors for a year! since this week, no one ever showed DW anymore, so i think its useless tough

nevertheless welcome back!

Level 2
Where were you? This site has been the same scince I first went to it over a year ago! In case you didn't get my PM the bug in the ROTD campaign is in the game cache thingey - I disabled the triggers that loaded the heros and it worked fine. Anyways, welcome back. (do you think you could start a StarCraft site like this to? That would be cool.)

Level 12
Blerg, a miracle, Finally another site to upload my spells.

I have an idea though to know what resources are better than other's without the problems of the old rating system.

you can give 1/5 points to a resource, the changes are:

1 means good
2 means very good
3 means excellent
4 means Love it
5 means Best resouce ever

Although to prevent the issues rating had:
- It will not show an average for the comparissions, it will show the total of points gained by that resource.
- That means that if somebody doesn't like a system he shouldn't give it points, because giving it one won't downrate it, it will actually increase the resource's points.

Possible issues
Nothing is perfect, there would be issues:
- People may like the idea of making dummy accounts to give their resources more points, this can be detected with ip checks I guess.
- Old resources may get more rating by default, although I think that it would only happen if they are old and good since people usually lose the track of older resources, there are always new resources that drop them to other pages. And this might be a good thing since it would prevent old good resources from getting lost of the sight of the new users.

Level 5
The rating system was a huge part of the site and, as such, was also a huge hassle. On sites as large as these, you will always get malicious-downvoters who want to ruin the system. Here's my opinion on this and what others have to say:
I don't understand the logic behind the removal of the rating system. I thought that was one of the best parts of this site.
The voting was one of the best parts to this site, Ike. I did believe in it, but I also understand why they removed it. It was the minority of the site who ruined it for the majority.
Also, although the rating system can and has been abused, it's more often used fairly than abusively.
True, this is a reason why it should still be implemented until a better system is constructed (if there will be). For the most part, it shows where a resource stands compared to others.
Also, I thought you were supposed to impliment a banning system for belligerent downvoters?
Me too, but nobody seemed to care and this is where the voting system went downhill. However, I can't complain. This site is huge and it takes a lot of man power to run and maintain.
The rating system was removed because no one was using it correctly or maturely, or was using it and not commenting.
I wouldn't say this, VGsatomi. For the most part, people used it correctly. Like I said above, it was a select few who saw it fit to disrupt the site. I saw "retaliation voting" occur and saw people downvote maps, just so that theirs could be on the Top 15 List. Is it just for those type of people that it was removed? If that was the case, then shouldn't it have been left on because most people used it fairly?
you can give 1/5 points to a resource, the changes are:

1 means good
2 means very good
3 means excellent
4 means Love it
5 means Best resouce ever
This may be a little too positive, Vexorian. Sometimes a resource is terrible and needs to be addressed that way. There may be another possibility:

Having a rank would be a good idea! The more resources or posts they have submitted, the more their votes weigh. This makes sure people who actually contribute to the site get some muscle on it. If that doesn't sound good, why not only let someone vote a 1 once every day or two. If somebody really had a huge problem with a map, icon, skin, model, spell, JASS, ect. then they would use up their single 1 vote and that would be that until the next day. This might cause people to give up judging poorly and actually make them start looking at the map or cause the idiots to leave the site. I know that this would take time to implement, but it would be a major improvement.

Overall, I believe a voting system (created and used properly) is a benefit to any site.

Also, going completely off-topic: What's up with the Icon Section? The rules specifically state that "Icons that dont have a DISBTN(disabled version)" are not acceptable, yet there are a load that don't have one. You remove the voting, but you can't bring yourself to remove rule-violating submissions. You could free up a lot of space by removing those! There would be obvious exceptions (like infocards). Also, since we're talking about changes, add an Infocard section to the Icons.

Level 10
I think the voting system was one of the most useful things on this site because really most people used it as they should. You had with one view a quite relieable information on the quality of the ressource.
Just removing it is not an improvement. I think the solution of Vexorian is not bad, but it should start with "OK" and end with only 3 points so that it's not too strong if someone thinks that the ressource is really good. Also you should not be able to vote more than one time on a ressource or vote your own ressources.
Single one vote per day is too few, too, because sometimes, simply many good ressources are submitted and sometimes less useful things.

Level 3
@ Vex's rating system...

@ Vex's rating system... NO! thats (sorry) stupid! as said 2 months ago, it's not just 1-I don't like it, 5-I like it! But people act as if it was! so, now, U wanna have a new rating system, and people will give a s**t on it and vote like be4! Not the rating system was the problem, but how people used it.

And the new rating system could be missunderstood by many people (i no, low english) 4 xsample, new datas would have the same rating as bad... therefor people may be forced to download crap OR ignore new...

Therefor I would prefer a voting system where the user Has to write a comment if he/she(/it) wants to vote, there4 a new commentsection for voting comments would be helpful, or that everybody can see how many people have voted 4 each option... maybe with the opportunity to C who has voted 4 what! WHY don't start a big voting about what voting system the users want? search 4 maybe 5 options, then lat the users decide which voting system is best! :D greets :D

Level 8
Re: @ Vex's rating system...

UnLimiTeD said:
@ Vex's rating system... NO! thats (sorry) stupid! as said 2 months ago, it's not just 1-I don't like it, 5-I like it! But people act as if it was! so, now, U wanna have a new rating system, and people will give a s**t on it and vote like be4! Not the rating system was the problem, but how people used it.

And the new rating system could be missunderstood by many people (i no, low english) 4 xsample, new datas would have the same rating as bad... therefor people may be forced to download crap OR ignore new...

Therefor I would prefer a voting system where the user Has to write a comment if he/she(/it) wants to vote, there4 a new commentsection for voting comments would be helpful, or that everybody can see how many people have voted 4 each option... maybe with the opportunity to C who has voted 4 what! WHY don't start a big voting about what voting system the users want? search 4 maybe 5 options, then lat the users decide which voting system is best! :D greets :D

unlimited,about the rating system you said,where we see who has voted,i ve been telling this time ago,but
some didnt like it because as they said it would cause "flames" between users.

but i suggest that again because

1) We skip the part where the author rates with 5/5
2) Users wont downrate without reason because their name will appear.

and yes yesterday night i've been thinking of the other If user rates he/she will be forced to comment. and if the user does a thing of this type;

(i rated with a 1 a spell because i hate the author,the site forces me to comment, and i write "I rated you with a 1 because you *** and f** you ***)

or whatever "bad" word he uses into a comment will result into a warn of the user.

into the other if he puts "fsjkgkrjgs;fgj jjgds;k gjs" random characters as a comment then will result
again into a warn if not into a ban...

where in this case we skip the useless rating.

think about it...

Level 2
Yes I like Vexorian's idea, and you should only be able to vote a 1 or a 2 twice a week. However some resources realy suck, and a 1 should be "bad" not "average" I used the rating thing to see if what im downloading is worth my time, and to make sure my own resources are good. If i get several ones for one of my maps I wouldn't update it or try to fix what was wrong. I also believe you should have to post why you gave it that rating if you do rate somthing and you can't just write "no comment"
Darky - I think I allready said this but... welcome back and please make a Natures Call3 - I am thinking about making a large campaign to, but I'm to stupid to know where to start.

Level 10
Hey darky good to see u stopped playing WoW (or so i hope)

but i hate vex's rating system, i say we keep the old one but put on one of these restrictions:
-Make it so only certin people can vote, so like maybe u had to be active with this site for a year or a certin amount of posts i dunno
-make it so we can see who voted what and have mods that check the votes?

Level 10
The problem with Vexorians idea is that there is no difference between "OK", "very bad" and "I don't know". There have been some good ressources which simply didn't get votings. Such a ressource looks very bad in such a voting system.

I like the idea to connect voting with comments. Every registered user should be able to comment (just like now), and if he does, he can vote also with 1 to 5 like before. The personal vote for the ressource should appear above every comment of that user.
There should be a limit so every ressource can have only one vote at the same time by the same user, he should be able to edit it later, like the rest of the comments. This is useful if e.g. the ressource is updated.
The total of all votings should show up just like before at the general information of the ressource.

This is one suggestion. So please COLLECT SOME SUGGESTIONS for voting systems and make a SURVEY over about a month, including of course the option "no voting system". The winner system should be implemented.

Level 8
and a suggestion i would like to give, REDUCE the size of the site, the average size here is 150 kb,i mean if you save a site it wont go less than 140kb but some have size up to 200kb. for some strange issues yesterday for about 2hours i couldnt acsess the site.

and now it took me more than 10 minutes to enter this forum for posting this message. i assure you that my internet connection is very good! in fact is ADSL i could acsess any site with incredible speed but this one no, i did even a internet speed test and it gave me the speed about 460kb.

so now what the fault is??? maybe the site is too big.

and make avatars be up to 160x160 but[\b] wich dont exed 30kb,now the limit is 100kb :shock: is too big if any one puts such an avatar it is fatal.

Level 3
the size.... And the voting...

Nantuko_Husk said:
and a suggestion i would like to give, REDUCE the size of the site, the average size here is 150 kb,i mean if you save a site it wont go less than 140kb but some have size up to 200kb. for some strange issues yesterday for about 2hours i couldnt acsess the site.

and now it took me more than 10 minutes to enter this forum for posting this message. i assure you that my internet connection is very good! in fact is ADSL i could acsess any site with incredible speed but this one no, i did even a internet speed test and it gave me the speed about 460kb.

so now what the fault is??? maybe the site is too big.

and make avatars be up to 160x160 but[\b] wich dont exed 30kb,now the limit is 100kb :shock: is too big if any one puts such an avatar it is fatal.

rigth u r!! BUT maybe it's just that forum...

I got the main site loaded in5 seconds, but to enter this forum i needed more than 40 seconds and swiching to page2 took me MORE THAN 3 MINUTES! I couldn't enter the site yesterday, 2;
and i agree with U about the question with the Avatars.. I got a nice picture in 640x380 and i reduced it's size.. The funny thing was, after that, it wasn't anymore 4x3 centimeters, but it was still more than 200x150.. but whats the problem with a high detailed picture, the size was 9kb;::;
WHY don't use a system that limits the space of everyone's Avatar to maybe 6 Centimeters, and the max size 2 the said 30kb, so the detail wouldn't matter;

And by the way, 2 the voting system, maybe it would be better that only BAD ratings need to give a comment and U can choose if u wanna tell Ur oppinion to everyone;

(well, against the main oppinions expressed here, I think people may also vote bad with no reason if they need to commet it, not many people report comments! just look the comments in , i think, the colormanager, Some1 wants everybody else to vote bad because a similar looking and working programm was made by his brother)

AND, I DON'T LIKE THAT WAY OF ACTING! REMOVING THE VOTING-SYSTEM WITHOUT HAVING AN ALTERNATIVE ...

:wink: hf

Level 2
OK Here is my idea all nice ad put together...
You may vote inbetween 1-5
The votes will be added together (but still telling how many people voted total)
All voters must post a message saying why they gave it that rating and how the resource could be improved.
The post mut be at least 16 chars long and may not have "random characters" or no "comment"
I have to be treated like a god (like that will ever happen)
And last and best - every1 must eat a taco or waffle
-=CHEERZ=-

Level 4
I've been quite fond of the voting system we had, even though i do understand the reason for removing it.

VGsatomi said:
The rating system was removed because no one was using it correctly or maturely, or was using it and not commenting.
-VGsatomi

please dont say that... there are (i like to think) alot of people such as myself that either haven't rated a 1, or have only rated a 1 after informing the poster of various fatal flaws and waiting for a responce. and as far as not leaving a post? if i vote I've always left a post (as far back as i can remember) INCLUDING what the score was from me and as to why it wasnt higher or lower. this is also the reason that the few things i HAD submitted to the site were retracted, I'm a perfectionist and as such i wont keep something submitted without knowing it is complete. and if someone downrates me WHO CARES lol, if they scored me a 1 they obviously didnt look at my work, or they would know its at least worth a 2 :p
its just too harsh to say "no one"... please dont ferry people into groups without understanding everyone is different.

as far as Vexorians idea that is very nice, i like it. if you dont like something dont vote :p

and for the number of votes per day? (excuse me for this but) ARE YOU KIDDING?! there should never be a set number of votes per day or week or month or anything. my raesoning for this is simple: I myself (heaven forbit if this is wrong of me) commonly use the resources of WC3S. it is common of me to download something, state it looks nice, and then come back later to post more information after the item has been used and tested. and with my most resent project i found myself the other day downloading easily over 40 things from the models, skins, and icons. i PLANNED to vote and post on the resources that were used. guess i cant now :p

anyways i just wanted to share my opinion and welcome Darky back :) nice to hear from ya

btw, whats with the 2 different tutorial sections? maybe i just dont understand that concept but theres one in the forums and one reachable from the top list

Level 10
The speed of this site is really a problem, especially with the forum sites. But that's not a problem with it's size, otherwise fast internet connections would load it much faster. I think it's a server problem, but we have nobody who could change that easily.
Bigger avatars are useless, too. Firstly, the avatars are symbols for the owner and not big banners. If you want to have banners, you can put them into your signature. Secondly, it doesn't matter how big a picture or avatar is in cm, because that refers only to the printed size, the monitor displays every pixel, it makes no difference between the pictures' resolutions.

And also another thing: The voting system also encouraged to comment. The voting system was a standard, everyone could refer to. It was more precise to say something is 2/5 than to say just "it's not very good".

Level 22
please dont say that... there are (i like to think) alot of people such as myself that either haven't rated a 1, or have only rated a 1 after informing the poster of various fatal flaws and waiting for a responce.

There's a difference between "a lot" and "most."

Avatars and sigs is not the problem behind the site's slow loading. It's more likely due to the coding. Also keep in mind this is a very igh bandwidth site. Still an average of 1000 gigs of data transfer occurs a MONTH here. WIth an average of 7 downloads a minute.
-VGsatomi

Level 8
maybe you should make it like battle.net if a user doesnt enter for 3 months then the everything bout that player is deleted.

so if a user is not active (doesnt enter more than 3 times a month) then delete any resourses by him.
in this way the site will have less things to load.

Also all the mods should check the skin and model section and delete any stupid skin/model there are a lot.

i've seen models where to the unit was attached a missile model,more precisely the far seer's one.

we can do it with simple triggers,whats the point of that model??? models of that type should be deleted,now that darky is back the site should go to massive changes,to the best of course :)

Level 12
please dont say that... there are (i like to think) alot of people such as myself that either haven't rated a 1, or have only rated a 1 after informing the poster of various fatal flaws and waiting for a responce. and as far as not leaving a post? if i vote I've always left a post (as far back as i can remember) INCLUDING what the score was from me and as to why it wasnt higher or lower. this is also the reason that the few things i HAD submitted to the site were retracted, I'm a perfectionist and as such i wont keep something submitted without knowing it is complete. and if someone downrates me WHO CARES lol, if they scored me a 1 they obviously didnt look at my work, or they would know its at least worth a 2

Well the thing is that there were people that didn't vote correctly. And even if there were people voting correctly, they just ruined the accuracy of the rating by voting.

The fact is not actually downvoting and that stuff, the thing is that the rating system WAS NOT DOING ITS JOB, there was no way to use it to RANK resources, most 5 stars resources were not the best resources in the site, and there good resources with 2.5 because of downrating and that stuff.

he voting system also encouraged to comment. The voting system was a standard, everyone could refer to. It was more precise to say something is 2/5 than to say just "it's not very good"

Nothing further to reality.

First what the hell? a guy posts 2/5 instead of "it's not very good" Is that a good thing to have grunts that just post a number/5?

They are supposed to explain why they don't like the resource, not to say if they like it or not with just a number from 1 to 5.

Let me say that skins models and icons are art, you can't judge art with just a number.

Maybe you should make it like battle.net if a user doesnt enter for 3 months then the everything bout that player is deleted.

so if a user is not active (doesnt enter more than 3 times a month) then delete any resourses by him.
in this way the site will have less things to load.
What if his resources are good?

perhaps it would be better that Darky uses money from paypal and google adds to improve the server? Also I think that the main problem is caused by bugs on the page rather than traffic stuff.

Rating with Name shown, oh yes, it would work, err no it won't, Remember that the site is full of people that caused the problem with the first rating system?

Person A gives 1 to Person B, Person B will know who gave him 1 and will try to 'Take revenge' will go an give 1 to person A , I am surprised this was Nantuko's suggestion, that's the guy that gave invX a 1 because he thought I gave 1 to his system, blerg

I am starting to like the site without any rating system, people that have opinions about a resource acutally have to comment instead of just rating, this is a good thing , and I finally came to the conclusion that such a thing like a rating system is not needed.

People will now just check the download counter and the comments , comments that are no longer going to be hypocrital stuff but will show the guy's opinion.

I think that there should be a way of looking for new comments on resources, a Sort by last comment time wold help.

AFter thinking and thinking I figured out that adding a new rating system would be lame, it wold just be a disadvage towards old resources, and the people is still the people, there will be issues with it anyways.

Let's now focus the site on sharing resources and maps rather than specting it to be a contest.

By the way, we still have Director's choice.

This may be a little too positive, Vexorian. Sometimes a resource is terrible and needs to be addressed that way. There may be another possibility:

That's the whole point of the idea.

Many people think that are resource is bad, why would they vote then?, If a resource is bad it will get deleted, if a person thinks a resource is bad and the resource isn't deleted, then it is the person's fault, and that person's opinion does not matter.

If you read it again, it is a system for giving points to resources, it is not a system to say which resource is bad or good, (like our little binary rating system where 1 was bad and 5 was good) It is a system to give points to a resource, voting on it means you like the resource, and the value just differs on How much you like it.

The shown value wouldn't be an average of the total votes, but a point count.

This way, showing how much you gave to a resource would actually work too.

Granted at the end, users should not show post nor comment total but the total of points his/her resources got.

-------
It will be the same as be4 people won't understand the new system... ... .. .

It would'nt because it won't just show the numbers for you to clicking:

It would say:

Give points to resource:
+1 (I like it)
+2 (I ...
+5 (Best resource ever)

------

IF you don't like a resource, comment, and Explain why you don't like the resource.

IF you say "It sucks (1/5)" you are a troll, I don't care who the hell you are You are a damn troll, Explain your reasons for not liking a resource, if you don't have any reason, don't make a comment at all, Also if your reasons are wrong (Like saying it is a CNP!, when the thing is not a CNP) you are a damn Troll and a stupid one too).
--

Anyways I am starting to think such a thing is not needed, seriously, I think the site is fine without any rating system. I am actually starting to like this

"Make it so it is the old rating system but only certain people can vote"

Oh yes , great idea, let's convert this into a stupid elitist site.

Level 5
I think we also need some rule changes to keep the comment section in check. Rules based on this quote from a thread in the Site Discussion Forum would be perfect.
"- See it in game FIRST! (if you don't know how to import stuff, please quit making comments)
- JUDGE IT BY HOW IT LOOKS IN GAME! not on things like:
* The race of the resource (OMG IT IS A PANDAREN, I HATE PANADARES! 1/5)
* The name of the resource (OMG IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NAME! 1/5)
* The method used to make the resource (IT IS JUST A GEOSET MEGER! 1/5)"
Summary: Commenters should only be allowed to judge a resource by how it looks in game. Downrating a resource based something stupid such as the three things marked by stars under this new rule (especially the third one) would be against the rules and be punishable by the normal punishment system.

Level 8
Now what!!!

I noticed that the rating from the JASS snippets isn't removed,i was viewing one of my scripts when it still had the "Rate this Resource" button!!!

untitled8cz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.