• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New voting systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
The old voting system has been removed. The reason was not that it was bad, but that some people used it badly. So just removing it, is not the best idea, I think.

This topic is to collect different suggestions for a new voting system, so maybe in a few weeks a mod can make a news with a survey where everyone can elect his/her favorite voting system. The winner system finally will be implemented by Darky, I hope.

It would be nice if a moderator could say that he will do this news... except of that, please only post DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS OF POSSIBLE NEW VOTING SYSTEMS.
I neither want to see any posts like "this is good, but this is not good" nor something like "it's good that the voting system has been removed...".

If you have comments or suggestions for any voting system, please contact the author via PM or E-Mail to keep this topic clean.

Level 10
So here is my idea of a new voting system:

• -Categorys are 1 to 5 like before.
    -Voting is part of commenting, the user doesn't need to vote, but he can.
    -Every user has only one vote per ressource.
    -If he comments again, he can change his vote, but not give a second one.
    -The user's vote on the ressource shows up at the top of every of his comments.
    -The total of all votings shows up in the summary of the ressource, just like before.
Advances:
  • -Everyone can see who voted bad and report the comment including the vote.
    -A moderator can delete a bad comment+vote if it is without a good reasoning.
    -These things will prevent bad commenting in a way and encourage good reasoning.

Level 12
So here is my idea of a new voting system:

-Categorys are 1 to 5 like before.
-Voting is part of commenting, the user doesn't need to vote, but he can.

Let's say this new guy makes a resource, it is bad, and people give it 1/5, this guy wil get revenge later, seriously and will give 1/5 to the guys that gave him 1/5, the old rating system was actually good, the people on the site ruined it, and the people would ruin it again even if you could see people's votes

-Every user has only one vote per ressource.
And this wasn't that way before?

-If he comments again, he can change his vote, but not give a second one.
Has sense

-The user's vote on the ressource shows up at the top of every of his comments.
-The total of all votings shows up in the summary of the ressource, just like before.

Yadda yada yada..

Advances:
-Everyone can see who voted bad and report the comment including the vote.
Well that has sense, but are the current comment moderators really doing their job, anyways?, then would they do their new job?

-These things will prevent bad commenting in a way and encourage good reasoning.

Only if the moderators do the work.

------

Here is my idea:
- No rating system at all.
- Let good resources go to director's choice were they belong.
- Let good resources have downloads.
- Let people judge resources by downloads, director's choice and comments.
- Let the site be more than just a contest of who gets more rating and more about sharing stuff.

Advantages towards other suggestions:
- Won't be a disadvantage to old resources.
- WE DON'T HAVE to wait for darky to Wake up and make a new sstem for that.

Level 12
I always thought of the system Wc3Campaigns uses for the art gallery. It "does" show what the person rated at least. But that just means more work for me.

Level 10
Ok, hows this:
Same rating system 1 to 5 as before, but it has restrictions on it, so people could only vote if:
(dont know which one will work best, you guys choose)
-Make a rep system like wc3c and need a certin amount of rep to vote (this could have its own problems
-Certin amount of posts needed
-Had to be on wc3sear.ch for a certin amount of time

Level 17
Vexorian said:
Here is my idea:
- No rating system at all.
- Let good resources go to director's choice were they belong.
- Let people judge resources by downloads, director's choice and comments.
- Let the site be more than just a contest of who gets more rating and more about sharing stuff.

In site so large, with thousand of resources of different quality can't afford to let everything on the same level. The problem with the director choice is that many of their resources (being they models maps or whatever) were put there by a SINGLE person, at his discrection, while this site has hundreds of regular users, that may not share his point of view.

Level 12
In site so large, with thousand of resources of different quality can't afford to let everything on the same level.

The site is so large, that no matter what voting system you use, it won't work correctly, wc3c's for the gallery won't work either.

Actually no voting system would ever work, it would just become a disadvantage towards older resources

Level 22
Advances:
-Everyone can see who voted bad and report the comment including the vote.

Well that has sense, but are the current comment moderators really doing their job, anyways?, then would they do their new job?

We've been doing it fine so far...well, at least for the comments that actually get reported.
-VGsatomi

Level 13
I think Vex has a point,

Resource with high download count: this resource is good according to most of users, even though some of them are just a noobs that don't know anything about hard effort.

Resource that has DC: this resource is good, even though it based on some people's (mods) opinion only, but that opinion comes from someone that really good at his section. he knows about something that need a hard work and which one a crappy thing even the author camuflage it.

Level 8
well that is actually pointless,we're not discussing here about brining the old sys with more gradings.
we need something that will work for sure,or no rating at all wich is the best,for my opinion.

1 - very bad ressource
2 - bad resource

where is the difference :!:

5 - very good resource
6 - fantastic resource
7 - very fantastic resource

again you 're saying the same thing with 3 different ratings.

Level 8
No,for me nothing will be added! i am almost all day online these days and i dont see darky here,for me he has left again!

I think he should allow VGsatomi and oz02 to be able to modify the structure of the site.

and as well new map,icon and jass mod urgently!,other section mods,later

and now that i said icons PLEASE! see the icon section,is a total chaos, i see the same icon,wich is very ugly(as suspected) to be in 100 variations with all the damn colors,one is red,other pink other gray and like this,wtf please someone Administrate this site.

Even now that darky is supposed to be back the site is in total chaos

WC3Search : Reign of Chaos

would be the perfect title of this site,if you are not going to make chagnes,then please put this name as site name.

Level 4
You can't always use the download count to decide wether or not a resource is worth downloading. Some people download maps to find out if they like them. If the map is bad they can't take back their download, and some maps don't have comments about them. I think the site should have a new crew that downloads maps, spells, skins, etc... and then gives them a rating, using the five point system, along with a review pointing out the pros and cons of the resource. The new group could also award Director's Choice awards. The members of this new group would be elected by administrators of the site. This would solve the problem of down-rating while also suppliying a good idea of which resources are worth downloading. Just an idea.

Level 13
Max_Cola said:
I think the site should have a new crew that downloads maps, spells, skins, etc... and then gives them a rating, using the five point system, .

Noo! you know, it's hard to select even a one moderator for now, and many sections need mods.

I know most of users in this site are just immature noobs, and few of them that can handle such a big responsibility.

Level 12
Vexorian said:
IF a voting system is added, it shouldn't have Negative options, seriously, bad resources are to be deleted, not rated.

Note the Conditional IF.

I think the site should have a new crew that downloads maps, spells, skins, etc... and then gives them a rating, using the five point system, along with a review pointing out the pros and cons of the resource. The new group could also award Director's Choice awards. The members of this new group would be elected by administrators of the site. This would solve the problem of down-rating while also suppliying a good idea of which resources are worth downloading. Just an idea.

I dislike this idea because it is the same as forming an elite, elites are for those sites with isolated groups of artists and that stuff.

I once had an Idea, you are a member of the site, and you can give a Thumbs up to a resource of each category every week, You can only give one Thumbs up per week, so you have to make sure you are giving it to the best resource in the week.

When A resource gets let's say 5 or 10 thumbs up it becomes people's choice which is like director's choice somehow but it is people's choice, Also you can see how much thumbs up a resource got so you can sort them by quantity of thumbs up and that stuff.

But I seriously think that the problem with implementing a new voting system will always be the old resources

Level 13
Vexorian said:
I dislike this idea because it is the same as forming an elite, elites are for those sites with isolated groups of artists and that stuff.

ha ha ha :lol: , you know what i laugh at? :wink:

Vexorian said:
But I seriously think that the problem with implementing a new voting system will always be the old resources

the good old resources will still remain in DC or maybe People's choice like you said, so there's no problem. And of course we must give an opportunity to the new & good one. So among the good resources (old and new), the newest one will get on top position.

Level 10
I like Max_Cola's idea.

The power of this elite is not that big, it only concerns rating; commenting still will be allowed for every reg. user and you said yourself that the commenting also is a form of rating.

Resources with high download count often aren't the best. Some models are only often downloaded because they are mentioned in a tutorial (e.g. the goblin praetorian) and sometimes I have to download things a few times until they work. The ressource gets about 5 downloads, but only I have downloaded it. I also cannot really say if a ressource is worth download before I download it! And some ressources have a very high quality, but aren't useful in many cases, so they won't be downloaded very often, too.

The "thumb-up"-system is also a very nice idea, I think, because nobody can feel blamed because of bad ratings and normal reg. users still have some power concerning rating the ressources.

The best would be a combination of both, a mod's rating and a people's thumb-up.

But we still have to wait for Darky... :evil:

Level 13
Waldbär said:
The power of this elite is not that big, it only concerns rating; commenting still will be allowed for every reg. user and you said yourself that the commenting also is a form of rating.

Yeah, has power that not big, BUT still has more power than normal users. So, there are some 'classes' in our society. Let everyone know who are the noob and who are the competent normal user, but still they have same right to rate a resource.

So there are just mods and normal user in this site, no MORE class. Even mods just act like normal user but he just has obligation to maintain his field.

I like thumbs-up system cause it will prevent downrating. User just decide whether he like it or not, 1 or nothing.

Waldbär said:
The best would be a combination of both, a mod's rating and a people's thumb-up.

The best combination is DC, thumbs-up, download counter, comment, yadda, yadda, whatever...

That is up to each user to decide whether the resource is good based on from what point of view he see it. Even some people just see it from resource preview.

This site just need to provide something like thumbs-up(or whatever system), comments, and DC. BUT, if someone download resource just because the author's popularity, no one can blame him.

Level 12
the good old resources will still remain in DC or maybe People's choice like you said, so there's no problem. And of course we must give an opportunity to the new & good one. So among the good resources (old and new), the newest one will get on top position.
They will always have a disadvantage, cause newer good resources will get to Director's choice and will get good at XXXX rating.

Older resources that might be A Lot better than the newer wouldn't be able to get good at XXXX rating , some might get there for some reason, but most of them will not

Status
Not open for further replies.