• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Need spell ideas for my next project! and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
My project will be called: soul eaters.

Idea: You need to conquer and controll sould stones(areas) certain amount of time to win.

Unique features:
Skill based battle system (trap spells, damage spells, illusion spells, misc spells.)
- you need timing to evade spells and maybe to combo spells (if i can make this happen)
- trap spells have certain effect before they activate (so they can be evaded)

-You need to collect souls (creeps/humans etc....to get souls and to be able to use spells.)

I was also thiking of special soul system, that you could create souls/illusions that could use same spells as you do (ai controlled).

So iv created 2 trap spells so far and if you suggest spell i show you example how you should do it.

Pain Spikes: Sumons massive amount of spikes around the target point. They rapidly go closer and closer to target point stunning everything they hit in their path.

NOTE: Spell test map is protected!

uploaded spell test map.

things to know before testing:
- Soul aspect works for player 1 only!
- Flame stars damage is bugged
- Map is protected!

Attachments

• playing.JPG
    playing.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 203
  • playing2.JPG
    playing2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 194
  • flare.JPG
    flare.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 177
  • soul aspect.JPG
    soul aspect.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 163
  • earth barrier.JPG
    earth barrier.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 173
  • frost.JPG
    frost.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Level 15
New spell!

Water Cage: Encloses units in an area in a ring of water, units may move out of the ring but will be slowed when attempting to do so, the ring will disappear after a while and a nova of waves will be created.

Energy Ring: Creates an energy ring that shrinks and deals damage to unit that touches it, when the ring disappears, it will explode, creating an energy explosion.

Magic Star: Causes a magically infused star to fall from the sky to deal damage, after the main star hits, a few smaller stars will fall around the main star.

Flame Meteor: Causes a meteor to fall to deal damage and stuns in the area, the area will also be left burning for a few seconds.

Storm Shock: Causes lightning to continuously strike the area dealing damage and slowing units hit by the lightning.

Soul Replica: Uses a soul to create a replica of the hero, the replica cannot deal damage but will take 100% damage, the replica will heal the hero by a small amount when it dies.

Hope the ideas help!

Level 13
New spell!

Water Cage: Encloses units in an area in a ring of water, units may move out of the ring but will be slowed when attempting to do so, the ring will disappear after a while and a nova of waves will be created.

Energy Ring: Creates an energy ring that shrinks and deals damage to unit that touches it, when the ring disappears, it will explode, creating an energy explosion.

Magic Star: Causes a magically infused star to fall from the sky to deal damage, after the main star hits, a few smaller stars will fall around the main star.

Flame Meteor: Causes a meteor to fall to deal damage and stuns in the area, the area will also be left burning for a few seconds.

Storm Shock: Causes lightning to continuously strike the area dealing damage and slowing units hit by the lightning.

Soul Replica: Uses a soul to create a replica of the hero, the replica cannot deal damage but will take 100% damage, the replica will heal the hero by a small amount when it dies.

Hope the ideas help!

Ty for suggestions. I kinda like that wate trap idea that it slows enemies and im gona also do somekind of meteor spell (i think one is enough not both statt and meteor).
Also sould replica is a nice idea. it certainly could be used.

trying to solve one problem with pain spike (it doesnt work for player2, but that doesnt really matter since it works for other players)

Level 12
Guardian-Feral Spirit-Summons a hero to aid you, however.... If you resummon this hero, it starts back at level one. (Need coding to resummon hero instead of creating a new one each time)
-The skill involved is making sure two heroes are alive. This second hero should just be a tank/healer and give mana... no attack strength or anything

Perfect Block-Blocks all damage for .5 seconds (Divine sheild)
-You must time this Just right...

Fences-A Ward that Has a small Collision size but you can trap your enemy quickly if you are quick with hotkeys and aiming. These have a duration of 3 seconds

Instant kill-Does nothing... Just is there to tempt people into thinking they can get a cheap hero!

Make The Normal Attacks do Blowback
-So you can blowback someone into a trap

Level 13
Guardian-Feral Spirit-Summons a hero to aid you, however.... If you resummon this hero, it starts back at level one. (Need coding to resummon hero instead of creating a new one each time)
-The skill involved is making sure two heroes are alive. This second hero should just be a tank/healer and give mana... no attack strength or anything

Perfect Block-Blocks all damage for .5 seconds (Divine sheild)
-You must time this Just right...

Fences-A Ward that Has a small Collision size but you can trap your enemy quickly if you are quick with hotkeys and aiming. These have a duration of 3 seconds

Instant kill-Does nothing... Just is there to tempt people into thinking they can get a cheap hero!

Make The Normal Attacks do Blowback
-So you can blowback someone into a trap

that knockback idea is pretty interesting, you could be dead in seconds if you dont move away from knockback. Well gotta think about it.

created spell meteor from above suggestions. Its a channeling spell, that can cause huge damage if it can hit (random place hits). will post a pic of it

Level 12
I decided to create knockback spell instead of normal attack. Alltought i could create spell that would give knockback attack for small amount of time.
added screenie to first post.

I'm also thinking, Can you make a unit deselected thats been knocked back?
-If so, people would need to "recover" Bby selecting them and moving.

Make it so if they order their unit it ends or slows the knockback and someone who thought they had a combo wouldn't have it so easy and would have to judge if their opponent is good or not to cast the trap closer or farther away to catch the knock backed unit

More Ideas
1) Accuracy spells-Give shockwave or impale, but make the casting range 2. If people want to cast spell, when they target a point, all their doing is choosing an angle. and could easily miss if they didnt fire right (Either casting time or weak semi auto to give peple the ability to avoid or make them waste mana)

2) Semi Auto Heal Spell- Does mimimal healing. and mostly only works outside of battle. But if you get good. You'll be able to survive someone attacking you (But make it like 2 hp per use so thats near impossible)

3) Unwise SPells-Make spells that seem like a good idea in concept, but all they do is waste mana which could be used for traps and accuracy spells. THings like Black arrow (Dark minion), Frost arrow (slow), THunder arrow(project hits enemy instantaneously), Searing arrow (splash), Orb of annihilation (Extra damage). But all these spells can b healed from for less with semi auto heal spell

4) Taunting Totem-THis is a spell for micromanagers, When casted, creates a ward at target location, if enemy tries to start and end a combo, you just taunt them with it and they lose precious time which you have to heal, escape, or cast a another assault.

5) Counter spell-Sleep spell that has a relatively small casting range (250) and duration is .01. Basically its meant to make closer range combat exciting and avoid cheap uses of casting timed spells, while having someone that can aim an accuracy spell at long distance a more interesting opponenet. At closer ranges, if they try to do any Casting Time spells, they'll get silenced/stunned/sleep (NO FOKING AROUND :p).

6) Immunity ward-A ward that makes everything around it spell immune but not the ward itself. Gives a person a little protections while you will have to do something like run up on him or tell summons to kill it or something.

7) Gamble Spells- You try to heal yourself with it, 10% chance of dealing 90 damage, 90% chance of healing 10. (could be an aspect of the semi auto healing spell)

8) 50% chance of successfuly casting Mirror Image + WInd Walk + Farsight- THis would be an interesting thing because when someone catss mirror image succssfully, and they have the mana to cast windwalk right after. The opponent may not have seen what happened and they would

Last edited:
Level 15
Meteor looks excellent and so does rush. I thought of some other abilities so just take a look:

Suicidal Run: Plants a timebomb on yourself and when the timebomb explodes (some timer expires) it will deal massive damage to nearby enemies and yourself.

Vampire Bats: Calls vampire bats to deal damage in a cone (or line or around you) and drains a portion of the hitpoints to the caster. Can only be cast at night.

Wave Rider: Uses magic to conjure a blue wave which the caster rides. Deals minor damage to units in a line and is invulnerable if in water (but if there is no water then nvm)

Sun Shield: Creates a shield made of pure light energy which gives units attacking the unit with this buff a chance to miss.

Earth Barrier: Causes rocks to emerge around you, blocking some attacking and trapping nearby units for a short time.

Shadow Snake: Causes a snake-like shadow to creep towards the point, dealing damage in the area upon arrival and slowing nearby units.

Natural Healing: Causes nearby trees to emit a refreshing pulse which heals the caster for a minor amount of hitpoints.

Hope it helps!

Level 13
Gah i love some of those ideas, but making them is a differend story.
First i tried making the snake spell i couldnt find perfect combination that would create cool looking shadow snake.

Then i tried to create the somekind of vampire crow spell, but it failed pretty much all i got is the effect on the picture and i Think im gona use this effect to make somekind of trap spell (took very long to get this effect and it still seems to be lacking something).

Well i quess it could be used many ways. Maybe somekind of nova, maybe somkind of trap. or maybe somekind of pulse shock thingy.

Well of course ill try to make some of those good ideas you gave me.

*edit* there is also one big "problem" since im probly gona make it 4v4 map, some computers may have lagg issues, since there are huge amount of effects created. But well im a cinematic spell maker.

Attachments

• weird effect.JPG
    weird effect.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Level 13
Ok created the greatest/most potential ability so far: Soul aspect

What does it do?
- Hero unleashes its soul, making the hero invunerable/unable to move. The soul is very weak but fast. Soul can return to the hero when withing close range. So it can be atleast used as escape spell

So I need ideas what should the soul be able to do? Go to special places? Have special abilities? Have expiration time (like hero dies if soul is out too much).

Some of the souls abilities could be like:
call body - forces heroes body to move on its own to the soul, so the soul can be one with the body (knocksback units that it hits in the path).

added screenie of the spell on first post. It looks much cooler ingame tought

This could also lead to many other spells like:
Soul Reaper - Forces units soul to leave from the body

*edit*
Decided to do following things to spell:
-soul can go trought trees and stuff to get to special places
-you can pull the body for 1200 range (will knockback first unit that it hits) - will combine soul and body if they meet
-you can "teleport" yourself to body
-soul will have 30second expiration time so you will die if soul dies.
-All spells that soul casts cost heros life force.

Well its a really weird spell and probly hard to use if you dont know what it does. But meh...its something unique and can be usefull as damage/exploring/evansion spell

Last edited:
Level 13
Created spell: Earth barrier (pic at first post)
Creates shield of rock around caster that will remove all damage that the caster takes. If enemies stay under the rocks, they will be stunned.

Well this map seems to be going really off theme from soul eaters, im just creating spells around elements, but maybe it will turn out good. Atleast the main goal is to create skill based battle system that would be fun to play.

Level 13
added spell Frost and Freeze (names wil lbe changed) both are close range spells that are very strong abilities if combined with soul aspect.

I hope people would give suggestions how the gameplay should be? I wana start working on that soon. I was thinking of something like in RISK games.
--> you conquer towns (that will create few towers to your town and increase income). When you have conquered all towns you win.

If you got idea for the map or if you would like to see somekind of unique map. Pls share the ideas.

Level 15
WOW! Excellent spells! I bet the map will be really great. Since you want more soul spells, I will provide some.

Soul Cyclone: Releases some souls(or a portion of hero's soul) to create a powerful soul cyclone. The cyclone does damage to nearby units and will become smaller until the soul returns completely. (You can use the spirit ring thing you made).
Hungry Spirits: Summon soul-hungry spirits that will damage nearby enemies and heal the hero based on a portion of the damage dealt.
Soul Void: Creates a powerful void that will drain the souls of those who are near. The void slows nearby enemies and deals damage, once every few seconds, the void will release a soul explosion dealing damage to nearby units.

To make the shadow snake, I guess you can create multiple units with no model but has a shadow, then make them move like a snake (not easy).

I will think of more spells for your map and having some elemental spells would make the spells more colorful.

PS: Can you post a test map of your current spells?

Last edited:
Level 13
WOW! Excellent spells! I bet the map will be really great. Since you want more soul spells, I will provide some.

Soul Cyclone: Releases some souls(or a portion of hero's soul) to create a powerful soul cyclone. The cyclone does damage to nearby units and will become smaller until the soul returns completely. (You can use the spirit ring thing you made).
Hungry Spirits: Summon soul-hungry spirits that will damage nearby enemies and heal the hero based on a portion of the damage dealt.
Soul Void: Creates a powerful void that will drain the souls of those who are near. The void slows nearby enemies and deals damage, once every few seconds, the void will release a soul explosion dealing damage to nearby units.

To make the shadow snake, I guess you can create multiple units with no model but has a shadow, then make them move like a snake (not easy).

I will think of more spells for your map and having some elemental spells would make the spells more colorful.

PS: Can you post a test map of your current spells?

mm well i quess i could post test map...ill protect it tought.
and yea...elemental spells can be nice, but I think i gotta change projects style then. Maybe somkind of hero risk map would be cool

Last edited:
Level 15
Wow, the spells are awesome. But the spike trap thingy leaks like mad. After spamming it my computer lagged like hell and it took 1 minute to quit... Probably soe leak with the dummy caster or point leak, but the massive impale looked awesome (spam it and it looks like a rly cool forest or something)

Level 13
Wow, the spells are awesome. But the spike trap thingy leaks like mad. After spamming it my computer lagged like hell and it took 1 minute to quit... Probably soe leak with the dummy caster or point leak, but the massive impale looked awesome (spam it and it looks like a rly cool forest or something)

thats good to know. Ill look into it.

*edit* found the leak. it was a dumym unit leak, but i wont uptade it to spell test map, so just dont spam it too much...:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.