• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Need Advice Transferring Triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I'm trying to transfer the vJASS triggers for rotatable structures and walkable walls from @MassiveMaster 's Castle Defense map to my medieval map however I'm having no luck due to my lack of vJASS knowledge and general coding/triggering inexperience.

I need advice on what exactly I need to change after copying the wall trigger to my map - there are a lot of lines and variables which confuse me, so I have more or less no idea what to do.

Or would it just be easier to transfer all the stuff from my map to the Castle Defense map? That way I don't have to rewrite too much, just add new buildings and units - however I'd still need help identifying all the variables I need to change in the trigger and where I add the new stuff.

Feel free to download both maps, they are unprotected so you can check out the triggers for yourself.

Level 11
So I decided it would be easier if I just started over and use @MassiveMaster 's Castle Defense map as a template system. Having to redo everything is going to take all summer however I feel it'll be better in the end.

That being said, there should be less that has to be edited now. Still, I need advice on what exactly I have to change and where I need to add things (incorporating all the units and buildings from the old map into the new map).

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Before you do all the work, you should make sure, that you are able to add new buildings to the system. Try to add your lumber mill for example. If you manage this, you can do it, if not, you should not make all the work just to find out in the end, that you can't do it.

Level 11
Before you do all the work, you should make sure, that you are able to add new buildings to the system. Try to add your lumber mill for example. If you manage this, you can do it, if not, you should not make all the work just to find out in the end, that you can't do it.

Bro - did you read the any of the posts? I need advice, idk what or how to do anything. Well actually, I figured out the data and ID system (first two triggers), things are a little more complex after that tho. I was going to try adding more workers first however houses might be easier.

Last edited:

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Yes I did read it. If you don't know how to do it, you hopefully can get advice. I just think you should not start doing the work you are talking about (take all summer), before you are sure, that you can get what you want in the need. That's more of a general tip. Before you do something, that will take a lot of time, make a short test to know whether you will be able to achieve what you are planning. If the test is succesful, you will probably achieve what you planned. If the test failes, you should not even try it.

I can't give you advice, because I don't know how to do it either.

Level 11
Yes I did read it. If you don't know how to do it, you hopefully can get advice. I just think you should not start doing the work you are talking about (take all summer), before you are sure, that you can get what you want in the need. That's more of a general tip. Before you do something, that will take a lot of time, make a short test to know whether you will be able to achieve what you are planning. If the test is succesful, you will probably achieve what you planned. If the test failes, you should not even try it.

I can't give you advice, because I don't know how to do it either.

I feel you - that way everything isn't in vain. Still, the system should work with additional stuff as the format is quite customizable - just need to figure out what, where, and how to change stuff. Test what? You mean, try to change/add just one thing and test VS adding a bunch of stuff without testing? xD well thanks for replying at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.