• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My WIP Models (WARNING: Contains Large Images!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i fixed it ... the problem is that u built the particles on a helper or something...
named ''torch'' and that type of particle must depend on bones ... u should move that three particles in the root of bone hand from the "torch"
i just deleted them , then the crash of world editor won't happened again
sorry about my english ... wish u could understand
Wow, I never even knew about that. :goblin_jawdrop:

So, helpers are apparently not very friendly towards particle effects. Not that the bone I built it upon was even a helper in the first place, but a regular bone, so I guess Mldvis must've something to do with it. I suppose I'll have to keep that one in mind for next time! :xxd:

Oh, and thanks for your help by the way.

EDIT: Oh balls, just when I thought that everything would be working fine, the WE still crashes! I suppose attaching particles to helpers have nothing to do with it, then. Nice try though, but not even close enough. :sad:

Level 18
Wow, I never even knew about that. :goblin_jawdrop:

So, helpers are apparently not very friendly towards particle effects. Not that the bone I built it upon was even a helper in the first place, but a regular bone, so I guess Mldvis must've something to do with it. I suppose I'll have to keep that one in mind for next time! :xxd:

Oh, and thanks for your help by the way.

EDIT: Oh balls, just when I thought that everything would be working fine, the WE still crashes! I suppose attaching particles to helpers have nothing to do with it, then. Nice try though, but not even close enough. :sad:

ya i know ...u can create a attachment on that hand bone and build the particle in the root of attachment ...and u'd better add the particle with model editor not MDLVIS .

Level 18
finished... add the particle and no crashed ... but i gotta go so i have no time to let the flame be suitable for the torch ... i think u can do this by urself with modeleditor ... just change some data , that's easy
attachment.php

Attachments

• DemoSquad.mdx
    95 KB · Views: 95
  • WC3ScrnShot_041213_124428_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_041213_124428_01.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 396
A good concept and generally a solid model. However the face looks a bit "ermagerd" at the moment and the back breasts should be covered with something as to prevent this freak from not only having four legs but also four breasts.
I really have no idea what you're talking about. Honest!

attachment.php

It looks interesting, but...
Something similar already exists. D:
I actually already knew about that model prior to creating this one. Not too shabby looking, I tell ya, but unfortunately it looks way too much like a KotG... with a hammer. Nothing much else to say here, really.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I really hope your quoting "The Thief and the Cobbler" there. If so, Kudos. :p

Anyway, I really like this. Not sure I wanted to give "mobile resource depot" to the Naga race I'm working on, but this is a solid idea in general.

I'd be interested to see how easy/what other kinds of buildings could be stuck on the back of a (Dragon) Turtle. Farms, Depots... Towers? Interesting.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Ooh, lookie here! I've made my first building, and a Naga one no less. Let me introduce you to... the Tentacled Guardian!
Oh gosh, oh dear... Please oh please, do just one thing; find a way to include an Attack animation where the Tentacle stabs into the ground & pulses... Then all you need is a simple reskin of the Crypt Lord's Impale or the hidden Treant attack model with the Tentacle's texture...

*sigh*

Anyway, lookin' good, and glad to see not only some diversity (everything from dwarves to elves to bugs to bots to mages to rogues to hammers to tentacles... Trolls are one of the few things left! :p), but some buildings! I'd love to see some more of that.

I'd have to see in-game, but while I can tell you've done some good work differentiating it from the Naga Tidal Guardian, it could still go a bit further to really make the case. Not sure what (aside from drawing a little more from the aforementioned Zerg Sunken Colony in shape), but just my 2 bits.

Oh gosh, oh dear... Please oh please, do just one thing; find a way to include an Attack animation where the Tentacle stabs into the ground & pulses... Then all you need is a simple reskin of the Crypt Lord's Impale or the hidden Treant attack model with the Tentacle's texture...

I know what you mean. In fact, I've just recently tried making it attack like the Zerg Sunken Colony, but the animation ended up bad. Like, REALLY bad. The best that I could do though is to make it smack against the ground, so I'd imagine that it would cause a big shockwave just by doing that.

I think that the concept might be too similar to the Naga Tidal Guardian, to be honest. Maybe if you turned it into a Faceless One building instead? That would be cool. :)

The first model you made that i dislike. Its too simple and has the same purpose like Tidal Guardian. Deolrins idea about the Faceless building is nice though.

To be fair, I know it really isn't anything too special other than being a first attempt at a structure. It is meant to be made as a defensive structure that's far more effective against ground units than the Tidal Guardian but cannot attack flying enemies, sort of like the Human Cannon Tower. Also, the reason why it looks similar to the Tidal Guardian is that I'd imagine there would be some sort of running theme to the Naga defensive structures. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

In addition, I have no idea how to further differentiate it from the original Tidal Guardian other than making some rearrangements to the pool and adding a few bits here and there. Mabye I should add in something like a broken column or two?

As for changing the building to a Faceless One defensive structure. Well, it shouldn't be too difficult, but I can't figure out how to make it look more Faceless-y other than swapping the texture of the tentacle and perhaps making major alterations to the Birth animation. Got any ideas?

Level 48
For one, the building itself should have a northrend doodad theme(black marble with blue crystals, frozen snowy stone). Additionally, the water could be different. Perhaps purple, or black, or it could even be teamcolored(Sacrificial Pit). There could be spikes on the tentacle. Maybe even use the Faceless One texture for the tentacle. Maybe even stick some eyes on it. ^^

For one, the building itself should have a northrend doodad theme(black marble with blue crystals, frozen snowy stone). Additionally, the water could be different. Perhaps purple, or black, or it could even be teamcolored(Sacrificial Pit). There could be spikes on the tentacle. Maybe even use the Faceless One texture for the tentacle. Maybe even stick some eyes on it. ^^

Thanks for the heads up! Perhaps I'll start working on the Faceless version as soon as I've uploaded the Naga one.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Also, the reason why it looks similar to the Tidal Guardian is that I'd imagine there would be some sort of running theme to the Naga defensive structures. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

In addition, I have no idea how to further differentiate it from the original Tidal Guardian other than making some rearrangements to the pool and adding a few bits here and there. Mabye I should add in something like a broken column or two?
Oh believe me, I'm all for 'running themes'. Actually, that makes a lot of sense as to why it would be similar. However, I can see what Deolrin is talking about; there's "similar" and then there's "too similar".

*looks studiously away from the Human Towers, Identical except for different turrets...*

Perhaps you can make it a bit different by showing bits of the 'beastie' of which the tentacle is but one appendage. i.e. making more pools adjoining the main one with little bitty tentacles... Making it look like the Sunken Colony, where the black spiky thing is the head of a great Octopus-like creature... Making more pools on top of the one it comes out of... Make claws come out the bottom (movable?)...

AndrewOverload said:
Perhaps I'll start working on the Faceless version as soon as I've uploaded the Naga one.
Actually, something to think about that can save yourself space is to simply upload one as the "portrait" to another; that way you can have two "forms" of a model in one submission.

Perhaps you can make it a bit different by showing bits of the 'beastie' of which the tentacle is but one appendage. i.e. making more pools adjoining the main one with little bitty tentacles... Making it look like the Sunken Colony, where the black spiky thing is the head of a great Octopus-like creature... Making more pools on top of the one it comes out of... Make claws come out the bottom (movable?)...

This might sound a little silly, but the problem with that is that I don't think there would be enough room to actually add any samller apendages for what should be a small defensive structure. If it were a medium-sized building, then I'm all for it, but on a smaller structure like this I fear that if any extra apendages were added then either they would have to end up looking too small or the whole model would end up looking bigger than it sould be.

Actually, something to think about that can save yourself space is to simply upload one as the "portrait" to another; that way you can have two "forms" of a model in one submission.

Not if there's two very different races involved. That would be kind of confusing, not to mention the possibility of creating a custom Birth animation attachment for the Faceless version. :crazz:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This might sound a little silly, but the problem with that is that I don't think there would be enough room to actually add any samller apendages for what should be a small defensive structure. If it were a medium-sized building, then I'm all for it, but on a smaller structure like this I fear that if any extra apendages were added then either they would have to end up looking too small or the whole model would end up looking bigger than it sould be.

Not if there's two very different races involved. That would be kind of confusing, not to mention the possibility of creating a custom Birth animation attachment for the Faceless version. :crazz:
Hm, I suppose. Well, perhaps it's a pipe-dream, or perhaps better as a more advanced building than you have here envisioned (T2/3 defensive anti-ground?), but it would be interesting to see. I recognize your points though, for this particular setting.

Okay, I've now uploaded the finished Tentacled Guardian so check the first post. Just to let you guys know, I've made a few changes to the model before the upload so hopefully it'll look a tad more different from the Tidal Guardian while still keeping in line with the running theme that should be going on between the two.

Also, I will start work on the Faceless One version later as I want to do another Naga structure or maybe even two, so expect to see that first.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well, here's another Naga structure like I've said that I would do. This is the Royal Vault, details of which can be found in the first post.

126461d1370460043-my-wip-models-warning-contains-large-images-royalvault.png
Ah, now this is nice. Very crisp & clean re-mapping job here, and you're right, just the perfect mix (Nerubian mesh + Naga texture). On a side note, I'm also glad someone is taking old Beta models & re-wrapping them; since they aren't in-game, it really adds some diversity, but at half the 'cost' (mesh already made)). In fact, I've been thinking of doing something similar with the beta "Gargoyle Spire" and some Troll logs & webs... But I digress. :p

I'm also grateful you take some time to describe not only your process, but your thoughts on what it could be. I was at a loss when I realized a shop/upgrade structure would be just what the doctor Naga ordered.

This, plus Ultimata's rewraps, and you've got yourself a solid Naga base.

Level 48
A naga gateway. That's sweet.
But the stair texture looks too human. I'd switch it up. Maybe even make the stairs 3D.

Also, while on the topic of Naga structures... I had some ideas, in case you're hurting for them. You could make a sort of naga bestiary, from which Dragon Turtles, Snap Dragons and Coutals are trained. Another idea is a Murgul specialty building - slave pens? - from which all sorts of Murgul units are trained.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Also, while on the topic of Naga structures... I had some ideas, in case you're hurting for them. You could make a sort of naga bestiary, from which Dragon Turtles, Snap Dragons and Coutals are trained. Another idea is a Murgul specialty building - slave pens? - from which all sorts of Murgul units are trained.
Unfortunately, I think he's done with Naga. But yeah, there's ideas a-plenty. :p

Good stuff, Andrew.

Level 48
Ehh... Honestly, it would look better if the base was shaped like the rest of the portal. That's how most bases on non-square structures look like. Right now it looks a bit awkward. Also, the stairs could still use some work(speaking of which, they should obviously go below ground level to serve as an extension to the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.