• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My laptop is dying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother wanted to reformat his laptop and I needed to help him with some drivers, but it was late at night and I needed to sleep already, then I didn't do it, I just closed the lid of my laptop , he got really pissed up, and opened it, and I closed it strongly, but so strongly that I myself realized the shit I did.

So, it is all fucked up now... it does a weird noise inside it and it is reaaally slow. I need to wait half and hour to initialize it. But it does initialize.
(Always pretend it could be worst! :thumbs_up:) Then, at the desktop screen, after I logon, it shows this message:

attachment.php

It takes a century to click the icons, and I'm not able to open the folders, or files due to the time it takes with nothing happening.

Today I punched it from below and it worked for a little while perfectly with no weird noises... :nw:

It's a DELL Inspiron 1501, the guarantee is no more and they can't fix it here (Brazil) since I bought it in Mexico...

[rainbow]pEhLEEAZeh dun LeT ma LaptoP diez!!11!elevenz!![/rainbow]
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Attachments

• bugSS.PNG
    bugSS.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 198
Get a new laptop. Problem fixed.

Or, you could unscrew the bottom of your laptop, and make sure everything is plugged in fully. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL! And especially with a laptop, be sure to ground yourself before handling it. (Touch a doorknob.)
LOL getting a new one, no way, I had a underpaid painful year in mexico to buy it, but I will seek for some help around here, someone who really knows about it...and for sure, someone who makes himself responsible for fucking it completely.

Make your brother pay for it. Of course.
I believe I'm mostly blamed on it, and he would never ever do it.

Just reformat again?
lol? did you read the thread?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
it does a weird noise inside it and it is reaaally slow.

Hard Disc Drive is broken. Get a new one for your laptop (make sure it is the correct size as laptops use smaller than normal ones).

Reason I give this answer is firstly, hard discs are mechanical and generally only mechanical things make funny noises.
Secondly sudden shocks and vibrations are known to fuck up hard discs due to them damaging their rotation and stuff, thus why for robust laptops SSDs are used.
Thirdly, the error given matches that of a file missread, which means the hard disc is reading the stored data incorrectly (curropted, or physicall damage).
Fourthly the system running slow points towards it having problems using the page file efficently (at a decent rate) and reading data from your hard disc, thus it may take ages to read a single sector of data if the drive is physically damaged.
Fifthly it is a known disadvantage of hard discs that this kind of thing can happen.

Thus by my conclusion, you will need to replace your laptops hard disc with a new one and reinstall the OS. Be warnned that laptop hard discs are physically smaller than desktop ones so you have to make sure you get the right size of replacement inorder for you to be able to physically replace it as it is most certain a desktop one will not fit.

You could prove this by taking the HDD out and trying to run it outside the laptop, thus you can clearly tell if it is making a noise or not. If it is making a noise, I was correct, if not then it was a fan failure and the processor is overheating, throtling back and then becomming unstable (however I doubt this is the case as it should run fine for a few minutes before this would be a problem).

Hard Disc Drive is broken. Get a new one for your laptop (make sure it is the correct size as laptops use smaller than normal ones).

Reason I give this answer is firstly, hard discs are mechanical and generally only mechanical things make funny noises.
Secondly sudden shocks and vibrations are known to fuck up hard discs due to them damaging their rotation and stuff, thus why for robust laptops SSDs are used.
Thirdly, the error given matches that of a file missread, which means the hard disc is reading the stored data incorrectly (curropted, or physicall damage).
Fourthly the system running slow points towards it having problems using the page file efficently (at a decent rate) and reading data from your hard disc, thus it may take ages to read a single sector of data if the drive is physically damaged.
Fifthly it is a known disadvantage of hard discs that this kind of thing can happen.

Thus by my conclusion, you will need to replace your laptops hard disc with a new one and reinstall the OS. Be warnned that laptop hard discs are physically smaller than desktop ones so you have to make sure you get the right size of replacement inorder for you to be able to physically replace it as it is most certain a desktop one will not fit.

You could prove this by taking the HDD out and trying to run it outside the laptop, thus you can clearly tell if it is making a noise or not. If it is making a noise, I was correct, if not then it was a fan failure and the processor is overheating, throtling back and then becomming unstable (however I doubt this is the case as it should run fine for a few minutes before this would be a problem).
The pain I feel reading this is horrible. So I fucked it all. I lost my past work, all my photos, videos, everything..? (Also the models and maps, but whatever)
If the computer worked fine when I punched it from below, cant I put together the hard disk again? just to make backups?
I really can't lose all this stuff. They mean so much to me. :bored:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Just remove the laptop's damn battery, unplug it and leave it for a few hours if you are worried about getting shocked. No power source + few hours discharging garuntees that there should be nothing to shock you.

If you are still woried, touch something big and metal, however that can be bad for the PC if it has a charge greater than that of the laptop so I would advise against that.

The data should be retreviable still if the disc platters are undamaged.
Taking a HDD appart will probably result in more data loss unless you really know what you are doing, as dust particles can damage dozens of megabytes of data.

You should be able to retreive the data however by running it as an external hard disc and copying the files over one by one onto a working hard disc. However the files may copy curropted so be warned. There are companies that specalize in data etrevial from hard discs, however they are pricy so the choice is yours.

I would advise in future to back up files of importance to external hard discs (or other backing storage mediums) or internet servers next time you use a hard disc laptop. Unless ofcourse you use a solid state drive which are highly robust and have even lower failure rating than HDDs, however they do cost a lot and have limated write cycles.

Level 11
The pain I feel reading this is horrible. So I fucked it all. I lost my past work, all my photos, videos, everything..? (Also the models and maps, but whatever)
If the computer worked fine when I punched it from below, cant I put together the hard disk again? just to make backups?
I really can't lose all this stuff. They mean so much to me. :bored:

it could be recovered but it will be a slow process.

Level 31
Just remove the laptop's damn battery, unplug it and leave it for a few hours if you are worried about getting shocked. No power source + few hours discharging garuntees that there should be nothing to shock you.

If you are still woried, touch something big and metal, however that can be bad for the PC if it has a charge greater than that of the laptop so I would advise against that.

No no, not you yourself getting shocked. -_-

I mean you shocking the computer. Static electricity is harmful to computers. But, not harmful to you.

No no, not you yourself getting shocked. -_-

I mean you shocking the computer. Static electricity is harmful to computers. But, not harmful to you.
I can wear plastic gloves...?

I won't fuck it again, I will hand it to someone who masters these things. If make a backup successfully, then I will replace the HDD...
Oh, well...

I bought my laptop in Mexico, from Dell, and here in Brazil they don't give any assistance, neither they sell the computer pieces. I mean...WTF? I can't travel to mexico again just to buy the hard disk

Level 31

I won't fuck it again, I will hand it to someone who masters these things. If make a backup successfully, then I will replace the HDD...
Oh, well...

I bought my laptop in Mexico, from Dell, and here in Brazil they don't give any assistance, neither they sell the computer pieces. I mean...WTF? I can't travel to mexico again just to buy the hard disk

Plastic gloves do not contain static electricity. Just touch a doorknob with your finger... That's all...

Computers get fried all the time due to static.

Level 11

Oh, well...

yes wear plastic gloves lmao, plastic conducts electricity. I learned the hard way. Never put plastic bags in your pc

Level 34
DSG is a genius.

Do what he said. But, make sure and ground yourself first. (touch a doorknob)

I stress this a lot because it is very dangerous to things like the motherboard and the CPU. But, things like the Hard Drive hold up well enough against static shock.
Touching something doesn't ground you, it just releases the static built up.

Level 15
To ground myself I just use an old metal case I have and plug it in. If you do that you have an active connection with the ground due to the PSU

Also, CHECK THE PLUGS ON THE HDD BEFORE YOU REPLACE IT

DELL LIKES TO USE NON-STANDARD PARTS

Fried a board like that T.T, and that is how my Pentium 4 died...

Level 31
To ground myself I just use an old metal case I have and plug it in. If you do that you have an active connection with the ground due to the PSU

Also, CHECK THE PLUGS ON THE HDD BEFORE YOU REPLACE IT

DELL LIKES TO USE NON-STANDARD PARTS

Fried a board like that T.T, and that is how my Pentium 4 died...

Sucks eh? I hate static electricity...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Static is not really a problem as long as you are holding the metal parts of the PC. Touching other metal objects can infact cause you to become charged, unless they are earthed like the PC case as their potential may be different from that of the components or PC and so it would cause minor charge movements.
Honestly, I have never had any problem caused by static.

Status
Not open for further replies.