• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moving Destructable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
[Solved] Moving Destructable?

Basically, I am trying to move trackables, but I can't even move the destructable in the first place :csad:
(source 1/ 2/ 3)

So the basic idea is to order a dummy unit to "grabtree" the destructable that supports the trackable, and move the unit, so according to the above 3 sources, this method will actually 'move' the destructable

However, I faced 2 issues:
  1. By using call BJDebugMsg(R2S(GetDestructableX(myDestructable))+" , "+R2S(GetDestructableY(myDestructable))) I found that the coordinate of the destructable doesn't change at all after the tree is grabbed and the unit (that grabs the tree) moved somewhere else.
    (The coordinate didn't just become (0,0) as in when you set myDestructable = null, it simply didn't change)
  2. Furthermore, I can't even use "grabtree" on non-tree destructable (i.e. invisible platform), I tried changing Combat-Targeted As to 'Tree' but to no success (the game still displays "Must target a tree"), and using actual tree with invisible model doesn't seems to function the same way as the Invisible platform (it doesn't [support/give Z leverage to] the trackable)

So right now I am as confused as HindyHat in source 1 :cconf:

Any help/pointers will be greatly appreciated :csmile:

Last edited:
Level 2
bump

I am so not sure about this; my attempt at moving destructables have been nothing but a failure, let alone moving trackables.

Before I even get to this whole trackables business, I thought that it was well established that they can't be moved (deleted, or manipulated in any other way). Yet here I just found another source explaining the exact same procedure. (source 4)

It is not my intention to create a complex movement/camera system or anything like that which involves thousands of trackable either collectively or for each individual player, so efficiency issue and lag from using trackables are hardly an issue here.

What I am interested in is the whole legitimacy of the method from these 4 sources, and exactly how it can be achieved given the failed attempts I detailed in my first post. Or is it just me not knowing something that's possibly obvious?
If anyone could elaborate on this issue, it would be great..

The attached map below periodically displays the coordinate of the tree to show the problem from point 1. in the above post.

Attachments

• tree move.w3x
    11.8 KB · Views: 37
Level 26
What have trackables to do with destructables? Walkable destructables only help you to create trackables at different heights but you still cannot move them afterwards. The trackable won't be affected if you remove the destructable then. Do not know what Element of Water meant, or how to move the destructable. I guess the trackable does not observe the environment at all, only takes the current height at creation.

grabtree does not move the destructable. It kills it and copies its replaceable texture onto a geoset of the mountain giant.

^

You cannot natively move trackables. There is also no known way to destroy or move trackables at the moment either.

If you are looking for a movable UI, you should look into a system like DGUI.

However, it does not use trackables. It uses units and uses the grabtree ability to change textures. [method described here] For more information, you can check out the map in that link. Because it uses units and not trackables, it can only detect clicking and right-clicking (technically, it detects selection and the "smart" order).

Level 2
WaterKnight said:
What have trackables to do with destructables? Walkable destructables only help you to create trackables at different heights but you still cannot move them afterwards...
That is the purpose of my sources, however, you have my complete sympathy in the matter.

WaterKnight said:
grabtree does not move the destructable. It kills it and copies its replaceable texture onto a geoset of the mountain giant.
PurgeandFire111 said:
It uses units and uses the grabtree ability to change textures.
Fair enough, at least my attempts so far fit with this.

I am aware of the alternatives of using units and whatnot coupled with the selection event. I appreciate the DGUI suggestion, but I am not trying to create movable UI, I just want to move things that can detect hover event.

I know of PurgeandFire111's Track, heck it's even in your signature, and Azlier's Trackable2 and Executor's TrackMap, non of which features relocation of placed trackables, and this speaks far greater volume about this whole issue than empty words by some users detailing some procedure with no backup (especially if the solution is controversial), so am I to take it that the method is hokum and I should just simply forget about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.