• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

"moving AOS" map idea, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
so, after reading many posts about new ideas for AOS maps recently i had this idea:

ok so nothing special 2 bases connected with 2 lines in a hexagon...
but as you can see (arrows) the creeps for the teams will spawn in anti-clockwise direction only.

at this early stage i'm thinking of using points to win the game, which you earn by capturing nodes (the white circles in the sketch).
But for every team there is only one node active at a time, which is always the one next to the base in clockwise direction.
this means your team has to push back the enemy creeps.
If a team reaches their activated node both bases will be moved to the activated node (one node in clockwise direction) and the team which reached the node will recieve a point and have their "power-up abilities", which you choose after picking your hero, activated for one use.
Now the next node (in clockwise direction next to the base) will be the activated node for the teams.
(heres the tricky part: after the moving of the bases there should not be a "gap" in the incoming creep wave)

After a team has a preset amount of points it wins the game.

What are "power-up ablilties"?

This are abilities which you pick after picking your hero. At the moment i'm not sure if you can pick 1 or 2.
This abilities give your team an advantage, for example an aoe speed buff, or an aoe heal, with an other you could spawn a powerful creep to make pushing harder for your enemies or you spawn a creep to help pushing to your activated node.

What is this "Soulstone"?

So reviving works in this map with ghosts (like in WoW).
When you die your ghost will spawn at the "soulstone" and you have to get to your corpse to be revived at this position or you can rebuy yourself at the soulstone or at the position of your corpse (this is more expensive).

So i hope you get my idea.

What do you think about it? Do you see major problems in the realization of this map? Are you interested in helping me with this map (mainly triggering and coding)?
Then just use this thread or pm me.

Last edited:
Level 5
Seems somewhat interesting. But wouldn't the soulstone spawn make for some VERY hectic teamfights? Especially if you're close to it already. Maybe make a delay for respawn? (Unless you "buyback" ofcourse.)

Level 10
thanks, yes you're right in this point, but this map isn't even under construction^^, but yes i will keep this in mind...

on the other side, wouldn't this hectic gameplay be some kind of fun?
(maybe different revive modes to pick from?)

Level 14
It would be real interesting to see moving bases. What i imagine when i see the sketch, is that two caravans are moving around a jungle, and if one reaches the other, that team wins.

And you can make the "caravans" move faster, by killing and destroying the obstacles and creeps before the caravan. Other team could put stones and blocking things in the middle of the road, so the attackers will move slower. But with the elapsed time, and the increase in damage will make both caravans faster, so it will be easier to die/win, the game becomes more intense.

Also lot of new hero roles, and abilities can be made with this map!

Keep it up

Level 10
nice to hear this, thanks

what you say actually was the initial idea of the map, but after some time i felt that this point system would be much more balanced.
yes by being in the winning team you somehow get closer to the enemy team but you still have to think about whether the harrasmat/anti-push pay off in the end or not.

while if the teams are chase each other, if the teams are very close to each other the winning team has an easy time while the others have nearly no chance to win anymore...

but again my multi-tool answer --> different game modes!^^

i think this "how to win" issue just needs the map to be playable so both ways can be tested

Level 7
interesting idea, I really like it, it's very unique and adds another chapter to the AoS type maps, while you fear the heroes in the jungle not ganking you, you still need to worry about the creeps coming to your base.

i'll give ya +rep for the idea, hope you decide to start the map.

Level 10
Work Started!

in the past days i hab some time so the terrain a bit, so here are the first pics

this is an orc camp which represents the starting location aof one team (there will be a second one on the other side of the map)

the lane...

a troll camp representing a "node"

this map will be about two rivaling merchants who fight for the control over a small valley (with an magical (soul)stone in the middle).
they send their caravans out to make trading pacts with the local camps.
You play as an mercanary they hired to destroy their rival's caravan.

In pic 2 you see how the craravans will look like maybe.
the kodo(or koto idk) with the building on it will spawn the creeps and will have the function of a portable "fountain" to regenerate a little bit.
the "real" fountain and the shops can be found always in the camp (node) you captured last. this means after capturing you can shop and regenerate without leaving the battle!

Level 14
Seems good, awesome terrain job you did there, and the story is good too!

If you capture a control point, will the buildings be changed?
If they are, for both team the same time, it would be pretty annoying that you are going somewhere with your hero, and suddenly the point you headed jumps farther, or behind your back. There should be some solution for that (thats why i suggested smooth moving bases)

Ideas:
There should be two types of heroes: The Offensive (which goes back, and attack enemy caravans) and The Defensive (who defends the caravans going forward).

If there is this merchant & trader story, it would be awesome to make a way to make money with trading. (for example you can create your own caravan)

And yeah, caravans should have more defense than just heroes. Spawning creeps is not a bad idea!

Its all I can think of at this state, Keep Working! :goblin_good_job:

Level 10
ok so first thanks!

ehm my idea is to make the inhabitants of the camps (orcs, trolls....) the shops or fountains ant to let them change the team after capturing ( team 1 and 2 and neutral which doesn't provide anything for both teams.

to the hero types, yes there will be more offensive and defensive ones such as aoe casters who do much damage but mainly to creeps ( means they do less damage to heros or have shorter debuff durations on heros for example) to prevent players form using them for massive aoe harrasment on the enemy heroes.

at the moment im focusing on the terrain, then all the codes and triggers for the gameplay will follow (such as spawning and captuing, with dummy units) and in the end the heroes will follow. thats my plan till now.

i hope i can finish the terrain within the next week, so i can make a thread in the map Development forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.