• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Morphing Makes the Game Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
My game, Shadow Clans, uses a lot of morph spells throughout the game.
These have been working pretty much near flawlessly until I got to morphing a ground unit into an air unit, which makes the game crash.
This is weird because the spells are based from the stone form and destroyer form spells, which deal with air to ground unit conversions. I've tried multiple things, all ending in the game still crashing.
I'm going to continue looking for a solution on my own, but if anyone has any ideas, please share!

Edit: A solution that doesn't involve triggers, cause I've figured one of those out pretty much instantly, but gives too much room for bugs.

Level 3
My game, Shadow Clans, uses a lot of morph spells throughout the game.
These have been working pretty much near flawlessly until I got to morphing a ground unit into an air unit, which makes the game crash.
This is weird because the spells are based from the stone form and destroyer form spells, which deal with air to ground unit conversions. I've tried multiple things, all ending in the game still crashing.
I'm going to continue looking for a solution on my own, but if anyone has any ideas, please share!

Edit: A solution that doesn't involve triggers, cause I've figured one of those out pretty much instantly, but gives too much room for bugs.

I have tried something like that before. Not sure if you are using any custom models or anything...

But A solution that I did that works well ir make it sort of like "Druid of the Talon - Raven Form"... Make it an ability that you activate. You would need to make a custom ability that can be a mimic of "Raven Form" but that simply uses your other flying unit...

If that isn't what you are seeking, then the only other ideas I have are triggers... so...

Level 6
I'm going to try using the druid form spell instead and see what happens.
And yes I'm certain I got 2 separate unit types.
It seems to only be crashing during a ground -> air unit conversion
I tested an air -> air conversion and it worked just fine.

Edit: Crow form makes it crash as well.
I changed the flying unit's movement type to foot and this stopped the game from crashing, so whatever the reason, it has something to do with its movement type.

Last edited:
Level 6
I'm just gonna use triggers for now, but I'll rep anyone who can solve this without the use of triggers!
MyData.jpg

Data for the Spell

Things I have tried:
Unchecking immediately landing, unchecking immediate takeoff, and unchecking both of them.
Unchecking permanent.
Changing altitude adjustment and landing delay times.

If you need a picture of something in particular on one of the units (the ground or air unit) let me know.

Level 6
Sorry, but it just WORKS.

Check out my test map.

I cannot imagine how you broke this...

Lol my thoughts exactly.
I'm guessing it may have something to do with the fact its not a simple ground -> air direct upgrade like your map. It's more like a ground -> ground -> ground -> air thing, which may have been too much build up for the game to handle or something like that. Who knows? Anyways, thanks for your effort Dagguh, I rep you for your help at least.

Level 5
Alright.
Now I have 4x Metamorphosis and 1 Stone Form at the End.

It still works :O.

However, I've noticed that even if you have this at Permanent, you HAVE TO set Stats - Duration - Hero to 0.000. Otherwise it will start the expiration timer (despite the fact that it is permanent and certainly not a hero). AND if you morph further with the expiration more than 2 times, you cannot morph further (the ability didn't show up).

Try it out.

Attachments

• Morphing.w3x
    18 KB · Views: 45
Level 6
Okay I'm gonna do something rare indeed
I'm making a miniature version of my map so as you can take a look at the raw data.
WorldEdit is pissed at me for the large amount of doodad/terrain deleting

Anyways here it is, enjoy.
For obvious reasons I've deleted a large portion of the game's contents, but I left you the basics.

Although every flying upgrade crashes the game, I only left you the Siege Barge.
I figure if you solve one of 'em, you solve 'em all, right?

If something other than the game crash doesn't work, its probably because its not the full version, so don't stress it.

Attachments

• Shadow Wars Test Version.w3x
    538.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.