1. Join Texturing Contest #30 now in a legendary battle of mythological creatures!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

More Races to Villager Many Animations

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Mirage1, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not a request of mine, it's more like a suggestion but I'd love if someone did it. Many RPGs and some other map genres tend to use the Villager Many Animations model due to its versatility and capability of using attachments in a very nice and quite unique way when compared to other models. But I wonder why other races never got their own version of that Villager.

Hive already has a lot of good villager models for many races so I believe that it would be more of a work of creating or mirroring the animations from that Villager. .KC submmited the model in 2008 and I'm a bit surprised that 8 years after I've never saw any model like that in another race. I've tried to transfer the animations but it didn't worked and I lack the skills to animate them myself.

I hope someone make these models. I believe that not just me but also a lot of people here in hive would find them very useful.

2. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is a very good suggestion. Quite surprising it hasn't been made yet; give it a couple days for people to post links to long forgotten resources :grin:

3. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am capable of transferring most animations as long as the models have a similar bone structure. At one point I tried making my own model with every animation I'd need, but turns out that animtransfer breaks at about 30 animations. That demoralized me enough to stop trying and I thought I would maybe write my own tool, since the process itself is not complicated. Alas, I haven't done that.
    But yeah, making better versions of this model is very much doable. I could say all the crucial things right here:
    *Linearize all animations. (In notepad++ to a find and replace for "Bezier" and "Hermite". Replace them with "Linear")
    *Remove all lines that contain InTan and OutTan. (In notepad++ that's a regex. I found a way to do it by googling.
    *Remove empty lines.
    *Try transferring. Most likely the model will work(e.g, it won't crash). It's also likely that it'll work wrong.
    *If it worked wrong, open the model up in matrixhelper and look at the bone structure. Some models name their bones differently. Some are mirrored(E.g, the bandits and footmen use the same bones, but mirrored)
    *Fix whatever problems there are in the bones. Usually nonexisting names or different(mirrored) bone names.
    The last 2 steps are something I can't automate, but it's not really needed either. I did get to over 30 animations without quitting, so it's not too tedious.

By now I actually understand the MDL format enough to attempt animation transfers to parts of models, but I haven't tried that and it's very likely matrixhelper can do it if used right.

4. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've tried with Animation Duplicator 1.0 it finished the transfering but didn't opened in magos. My first attempt was about one year ago with another program (I believe it was animtransfer but I can't remember the name). After failing I didn't tried to push further because I believed someone would do a model better than mine anytime soon. Well, no one did, so here we are ;D

I'm pretty sure you guys can make them and they will be awesome. This is something I believe The Hive needs.

5. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've never even heard of animation duplicator. Anyways, with the instructions I gave it's possible to do animtransfer on most models.

6. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll try to do what you've suggested. I will post again after I fail or succeed. (Old)

The animations have been successfully transferred to a Troll Villager but both the corpse and the pickaxe are displayed in all animations except the basic attack (which belonged to the default villager). I believe I could make them invisible using another texture but that would not be much practical. I tried to fix the bones in matrixeater (don't know what is matrixhelper) but I didn't found any bone section or something of the sort to edit them. Also tried with Mdlvis and Magos but I honestly don't know exactly what I am searching to fix. (Old)

Succeded. I've discovered how to hide both the corpse and the pickaxe in all animations through mdlvis. I'm going to make the other races now. May I upload them in the models section? (While giving proper credits to the modelers since the models are not mine)

Also I have to thank you Xonok without your instructions I would not be able to transfer the animations.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    Guys I know it has been quite a while since the last post but I was a bit busy, sorry for the delay. Well I've tried to create my own version of the villager with some new anims and the result is quite nice in my opinion. I've tried to transfer the animations to the Villager Troll (the one from Just Spectating) and it worked well except for some animations (like bow ones) where he suffer a few chest deformations. I must admit that I didn't fully understood what "Fix whatever problems there are in the bones." could possibly mean. I've proved to be really noob at identifying such problems. Honestly I have no idea of what they could be :D.

Anyway the first idea was to have more rpg villagers (at least for the basic playable races in Warcraft; i mean nothing about gnomes, goblins nor pandas for now) but they would require models that fit the necessary structure for the transferring (take the tauren's villager as example. Animation transferring will not work fine at him, he is too different from the normal villager :p). I also don't know if there are enough models to make them all. I believe that there is a night elf druid villager but not a night elf "classless" villager. I am not a modeler and even if I try it will take a very long time to make something with a minimum of quality. For now I'll keep animating the ones I can. If someone could make the models (even if it only have basic villager animations) it would be awesome. As soon as I finish more transferrings I will post them here.

Attached Files:

8. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The problems with bones are essentially 2 kinds. Either the bone is placed differently(bandits and footmen have mirrored bones) OR a bone with that name doesn't exist on one of the models.
    For mirrored bones the solution is simple. I use MatrixHelper to mirror the model back.
    For missing names you have to look at the list of bones in War3ModelEditor and figure out which ones are named differently.

Essentially the animtransfer tool ignores everything that it doesn't understand.

9. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you have time could you send a download link to this MatrixHelper please? I have downloaded a MatrixEater but I couldn't find any MatrixHelper. I don't think them to be the same thing. I'm using mdlvis for that purpose till now.

10. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually I meant MatrixEater, you are right.
    I haven't really used mdlvis, so I don't know what it can do.

11. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dude I believe matrixeater hates me and the feeling is totally reciprocous. I tried to find a way to do what you're saying but I couldn't. You've already helped me a lot till this point (Thank you VERY MUCH! :D) but to proceed further I must say that I understand what you are instructing me to do, I just have no idea about how to do it. Mirroring the bones may looks like an easy task but I've searched a lot in matrix and I have found no "mirror bone" option. May I ask you more about how to do it please?

12. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ctrl+A to select everything. Then Model>Mirror>(Whichever way you want)

I admit MatrixEater doesn't explain itself very well though.

13. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've been looking at the original villager model and noticed that he also deforms himself in bow animations. The very same vertexes are deformed in both of them. So the problem might be between the archer who gave them the anims and the villager model itself rather than between the human villager and his troll counterpart.

About the matrix I have not found a "model" button maybe we are using different versions or my matrix is alien or broken. I've uploaded a picture of my matrix's screen so you could tell me if I'm using a different version of yours or if I'm just another blind noob (a Blind Guardian reference :) hehehe, never mind)

I've uploaded an rpg orc model with the animations. He does not have the deformations in bow anims since he's not based on the villager model. I honestly do not see this deformation as a big problem for it has always been there and no one complained (I never saw it myself until now). I will keep 'making' more villagers like these ones. I only regret not having many variations of the villager to work with.

By the way if someone is going to pick the orc from this post its author is Tenebrae. Credit him for the model.

Attached Files:

14. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WHERE DID YOU GET THAT VILLAGER?! (So I can credit in my project)

Props mate!! I made a request a while ago and it never got done.
    This model is great, please upload to resources section!
    It has all the alternate defend animations + more that the VillagerManManyAnimations model lacks D:... WOW, I can't be more thankful, MUCH APPRECIATED.

EDIT: Wait, did you make this? If so, I have a simple request- add 1 more set of animations. (or just make a seperate villagerman model for me if thats easier). My project has spearmen and the villagerman lacks thrust animations.

Basically, 2 sets of thrust attack animations for spearmen - one handed & two handed. One handed version should be based off of alternate + defend animations, two handed version should be based off of channel.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  15. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    I believe to be able to do it. I think I know from which models you would like these animations to come from. I will post them here soon.

About the models: the troll's author is Just_Spectating while the orc's author is Tenebrae. (I could swear that I had mentioned Just_Spectating before, I'm quite surprised that I didn't!) The original villager_manyanims author you probably know is .KC.

16. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    AWESOME!! I'll give you more rep soon! Thank you very much.

Right - but you made the VillagerMan_MoreAnimations, right?

17. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Mirage1
    Looks like the menu is called "Tools" for you. It's even open in the screenshot.
    I'm not sure what deformation you mean though.

@UmbraUnda
    One of the 2-handed animations on RPG models looks like it could be used for a spear. It's based on the blademaster, but still.

18. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    The deformation happens during the 'attack lumber' animations. Their backs deforms horribly. (All villager-based models will deform that way I suppose)

I see it as a complicated question. .KC gave the concept, Just_Spectating/Tenebrae made the models, Xonok taught me how to make the transferring work and I've transferred the animations.

For simplicity I believe you should mention only me and Just_Spectating/Tenebrae (for their respective models) since we did the final work. I will keep mentioning the others wherever and whenever I post these models.

Note: Just_Spectating asks in his model's page to give credits to his bnet acct: koondad. Check if you want: Villager Troll2.0

I should speak to Tenebrae about what I'm doing with his model. He didn't give permission to redistribution but I doubt a lot that he won't like the idea of more anims. Anyway rules are rules.

19. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm just using the VillagerMan_MoreAnimations model for now, so I'll give .KC (for the original), you and Just_Spectating/Tenebrae (for adding the animations) credit. Unless I read that part wrong - Just_Spectating/Tenebrae helped add animations or made villagers for other races? (Or both?)

Thanks again, let me know about any updates on adding those spearman animations.

20. Mirage1

Mirage1

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just_Spectating created the villager troll model and Tenebrae created the Rpg Orc Hero model. I have transferred all animations from blizzard ingame models (footman, archer, shaman, blademaster, etc) except for the Gold animations (daggers) which came from .KC's original model Villager_ManyAnimations (I believe he made Gold animations himself).

I'm going to work on those spear animations in the following hours (I'm will stop to lunch soon, so yeah hours :D). I'm really thinking in replace the current Throw animations (single dagger throw) of all models and replace them for two-handed spear animations (most common). I'm also considering in split the models in two (eg.:villager_troll 1 & 2) since there are some animations who can't be used due to the limited amount of disponible animation tags. Animations like spear throw (headhunters) or a two handed blunt weapon like paladin's hammer (it's weird a piercing attack with a hammer).

@UmbraUnda
    I haven't test it yet so please tell me if everything is working properly ingame especially his new attack alternate defend animation. The old sword anims still are on the model you can find them on magos editor. Alternate for spear and shield, Channel for two handed spear.

Animations from Pikeman and Spearman both made by Wandering Soul.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017