1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Monter2 v1.1.10

Submitted by n00b
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
[​IMG]
- A blatant Dark Souls ripoff for Warcraft III -
Latest Update: Demon Ruins

Fanmade wiki created by EdgeOfChaos
Videos detailing Monter2's development

SUMMARY

• Gameplay
    Gameplay is focused on exploration, challenging boss fights, and simply killing stuff.
    There are many secrets and such to discover, since the explorable area is quite large.
    This game does not have a storyline.
  • Combat system
    Monter2 uses a hack-and-slash combat system inspired by Monster Hunter and Dark Souls.
    There are currently five weapon classes - sword, hammer, spear, axe, and bow.
    Enemies also utilize the combat system, each with their own unique behaviors.
  • Game length
    In a typical playthrough, about 4 to 5 hours.
    It is possible to complete the game in less than an hour, however.
  • Solo and co-op
    Enemy health is adjusted according to the number of players present, making the game
    suitable for solo and co-op play.
  • Other features
    Monter2 uses custom animations which were made for this game specifically.
    This game also uses an original soundtrack.

CRE
DITS

-Models-

-=Emergenzy=-
Balrog
Callahan
Celestea
Chriz.
communist_orc
Deolrin
dhguardianes
Dionesiist
eubz
Forgotten_Warlord
HammerFist132
HappyTauren
hellblazer-14
Herio-san
imforfun
JesusHipster
JetFangInferno
Judash

Kino
Kitabatake
Land-Sengklek
Lord_T
nGy
olofmoleman
PeeKay
Power
Radagast
RightField
s4nji
Sunchips
sunwarrior25
The_Silent
Thrikodius
TLI-Inferno
UgoUgo
WhiteDeath
Various UTM contributors

-Systems-

Bribe
Tom Jones
moyack
Vexorian
TriggerHappy
`

-Icons-

CRAZYRUSSIAN
`

-Music-

n00b

Contents

Monter2 v1.1.10 (Map)

1. LyunAvine

LyunAvine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Use anything except for bow and hammer. If you use hammer, you would get greedy to round strike or charged strike. For bow, boss would rush at you 70% of the time, the moment you position yourself and aim at him, then die.

Edit: I died more times to Ancient viper than last boss, so I really respect you for dying only 4 times :'(

2. n00b

n00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    fair enough, i'm probably gonna revise the ability switching thing, but don't expect that any time soon :^o

you're probably better off using the sword if you're having difficulties with attack opportunities, but funnily enough i think hammers are very effective against the final boss

intredasting, most pubbies i've seen usually have trouble at dreadlord, and the few people who make it to ancient viper would probably say that it's the hardest boss in the game

:eek:if it really only took you 4 tries to beat ancient viper, i'm actually really curious as to what your stats were, what weapon were you using, what your overall strategy was, etc.

also, the player boss is the final boss, but there's a couple of optional bosses that you may not have fought: flame guardian, flame champion, hard mode guardian, and hard mode revenant

^

3. andrejoss

andrejoss

Resources:
    Resources:
    so i was away for a few days so im gonna write off from what i remember, i used the regular hammer with the tactic to charge it before the fight even starts ( to get in few K of dmg) i think i was lvl 16-18 somewhere between that with points spent into strength to have exactly 10 and rest into stamina, i either didnt use a shield or it was barrier (because i always forget about blocking anyways and i never needed it) and my strategy was to helplessly try to dodge his attacks and when he did his little charge thing i went up to him and smacked him with the huge combo E-E-R i believe it was (maybe the final attack even stunned him i dont remember) and when i got the special hammer attack which stuns him for 5 seconds i literally just destroyed him, and also at start just before i started charging the attack i used "D" heal on me which i've set to give me a shield and increased mana regen (or energy regen) because im never able to use the heal in fights anyways so might as well get a boost before them

also im not sure if it was 4 tries i just know it wasnt too much it might have been between 3-5 but definitely nothing more than that because after that point i would be raging a lot more than i remember .... oh yeah i also used the warlock stone that gives you a 750-ish shield

thats probably everything about my "strategy" of just whacking the boss until he hopefully dies, tbh i think that the hammer is kinda OP but as i said i havent tried other weapons because i was able to outdamage dreadlord by just damaging him through his heals (at least when i wasnt dodging him)

4. LyunAvine

LyunAvine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good job LOL. Our strategies were to use swords, you're probably the first to use hammer solo.
    Quote from a guy: "Hammer sucks"

5. n00b

n00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i've always felt the hammer was slightly overpowered for a variety of reasons:

its base weapon power is rather high - 400 wpn in comparison to the sword's 200 wpn

its damage scaling is +4 per point of strength, and stacking str scaling damage with the +60 you get from 2 promotion stone upgrades is pretty fucking insane; in your case, 10 STR would yield a total bonus of +100 weapon power

its ultimate, Impact, has some fucking insane damage potential
    while Impact itself only has a 2.5 weapon power multiplier, the 5 second stun window allows you to pull of the 'charge attack -> round strike' combo which has a 6.5 multiplier. Impact and the round strike combo combined have a total weapon power multiplier of 9.0
    to translate that into damage: with 10 strength and a +3 Mace, That does about 4500 fucking damage... which is more damage than the Axe's Severance at 4400 HP, except with far less stat investment and less risk of use

finally Impact's attack animation is rather quick in comparison to other ultimates; Blade Dance is just a slow piece of shit with CRAP damage, and Severance is slightly slower and lacks all the utility that Impact has.

I hate to say it but the mace may have made the game a little TOO easy on you, but that's my fault for being shit at balancing lel
    but i suppose a win is a win, so good job soloing ancient viper. Also, assuming you've beaten the final boss by now, good job soloing the game overall (if not then keep trying heh)

from your post, here are my conclusions:
    - Impact is fucking OP as hell. A possible nerf: using Impact should consume all the player's stamina so that following up with a MASSIVE damage combo is impossible. This way, Impact would either be used to give players a small breather to use their Life Token, or to allow other players to attack during the stun period (i.e. Blade Dances and Severances)
    - Mace's stats need to be reduced slightly; +3 STR scaling and ~340-360ish base weapon power sounds gud
    - Blade Dance and Severance need some sort of utility instead of being generic "huge damage" abilities. For example, the bow's Evading Volley doesn't deal too much damage, but fills a niche with its invulnerability frames and its fast repositioning

anyway if anyone bothers to read all this shit then thanks for reading, i'm just sort of shitting out all my thoughts onto this post hohoho

speaking of which, sword skills are kinda shit as they currently are and i'd really like to buff them somehow

but as of now, Based Mace™ is the king of monter

6. LyunAvine

LyunAvine

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd give sword a 9/10 and mace a 8/10. Sword's parry skill can be stacked with round strike. This combo alone is OP af lol. And yeah, I gave Hammer a 8, because for one, it doesn't have parry and it's slow. But, you could activate round strike after a single light attack, makes up for the speed loss if you ignore the second light attack. Spear, Axe, Bow, a 7 for each.

7. andrejoss

andrejoss

Resources:
    Resources:
    tbh i haven't played the map since i have written the first comment about not being able to solo the last boss, i just give up when something in a game becomes too hard for me to handle in like 5 tries, i dont feel like playing something i start raging at because i play games only till they are fun for me

don't take this personal tho, the map is great, i loved searching for secrets (even when i was just looking through the comments/wiki) and i liked that it wasn't a complete walk in a park and i had to actually try to get where i got to

you get a pointless 10/10 from a random person on the internet, gratz you've earned it xD

8. n00b

n00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Mildly disappointing, because this seems to be the sentiment of most players I've encountered ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dark Souls is probably one of my favorite games of all time, as I seem to have an unhealthy fetish for overcoming difficult challenges (although I'll admit to being butthurt as fuck the first time I fought capra demon, o&s, etc.). I literally made this game to replicate that feeling, i.e. the satisfaction of defeating a difficult boss, but most players seem to want everything to be a cakewalk

At some point I've actually contemplated adding an easy mode, but that would utterly kill the feeling of satisfaction from defeating the bosses, and ultimately discard one of the reasons I made this game to begin with

i won't take it personally, i'm glad you enjoyed it, and i'm glad you even got as far as you did

i suppose i'm just complaining about wc3 players in general, as i have nothing better to do but whine like a fagget :cry:

9. More vids
    Here is me parrying a bunch of things to death
    Parry+Sprint OP, fromsoft please nerf

Another:

also I just tried magic hammer and that is a glorious weapon art on that thing, nice one!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2017
  10. n00b

n00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    nice vids

it is a little known fact that the shield's sprinting attack has guard/parry frames; i'm pretty sure this was unintentional on my part but i said fuck it and left it in the game

also seeing Regenerate being used for anything other than healing is funny because that spell is very useless outside of its cheese applications. Regenerate is in the never-ending backlog known as "shit I need to fix but I'm too lazy to"

11. So like 30 mins after I said flame champion can't be soloed, I soloed it.
    Turns out you just need to use bow.
    I still believe it is basically impossible to solo with a melee weapon. However, with a bow, you get 2 attack windows - after the double flame slash and the triple combo. Applying poison (which he is extremely weak to) and then spamming retreating volley killed it, but it was still pretty hard considering bow users take 1500 damage from any of its attacks.
    Only thing I couldn't consistently dodge is the bladestorm which seems totally random whether it hits me or not. There may be a consistent way to dodge the first slash, but it hits me even if I do the exact same thing as I do when I dodge it, so w/e. But I get hit less when I dodge-roll with bow than sprint with sword, and bow outputs a shit ton of dmg so I was able to kill him in only 3 bladestorms.

(edit)
    I just played a pub with a spear user, he got permanently stuck and could not move hero. -suicide did not fix.
    It's at the very end if the replay helps

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2017
  12. LyunAvine

LyunAvine

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Melee weapons impossible"? Challenge accepted.

13. Another bug me and Lyun just got: we both died in Flame Champion, but the game did not register the fight being over and we could not forfeit

(edit)
    Also if you want to buff sword skills like you said earlier, you could always return spin slash to its previous speed before it got nerfed so hard. or revert jump slash nerf.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  14. n00b

n00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i'm not a big fan of telling my personal strategy of how to beat bosses because that's basically spoilers, but flame champion has some strange shit that is hard to figure out; honestly flame champ might be in the same tier as ancient viper when it comes to crappy design decisions

but i'm just gonna say that i pretty much always playtest bosses with an unupgraded weapon at level 1, and flame champ is no exception, so contrary to popular belief he can !!actually be soloed with a melee weapon!!

if you want, i may reluctantly post a solo video of him using melee but yeah SPOILERS:razz::razz:

i also cannot fucking believe the pause glitch still exists, since it occurs so rarely i have like no fucking clue how to fix it lolol

that's another bug that i have no clue how to fix due to its extreme rarity
    thanks for sending the replay though, might be able to shed some light on the issue

spin attack was nerfed for good reason, it did a fuckton of damage in proportion to its animation speed. I would personally buff spin attack in such a way that it would actually be used as an AoE attack, and not just a direct replacement of the E key. Some ideas for buffs would be:
    - make the AoE of spin attack larger
    - make it so the damage of the attack increases for every enemy hit or some shit IDK
    - make animation speed faster, but reduce the damage it deals

jump slash was nerfed because it pretty much invalided the sprint button, it also looked super retarded just hopping around everywhere :ugly:

i've actually considered adding a weapon that emulates that ridiculous playstyle you pioneered

basically it'd be a sword, but the sprinting attack would be replaced with a non-damaging dash; it wouldn't be nearly as spammable as pre-nerf sword but it'd be great for dodging

coming never(TM)

also RIP lyun, killed by hosting bot lag

^

15. Here's my all bosses speedrun in 1 hour 1 minute :D
    I might make it a video but I wasn't recording so it'd be replay perspective
    I'd definitely be impressed with seeing lvl 1 +0 weapon solo of Flame Champ. I'm pretty consistent on him now, but that's only with +2 bow at a decent level

Attached Files:

16. n00b

n00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WewLad might as well make it a video
    also tbh send me some pub replays if you have any, those are fun to watch

Gave me canceraids but I finally did it
    Perfection used mostly to drive the point home, but I also just needed to see if it was possible:mwahaha:

also PERFECTION CHALLENGE NEVER

in other news I'm getting the urge to work on this map again so I might make a post about that sooner or later

17. Manipulation

Manipulation

Resources:
    Resources:
    i like how accurate moves are, gj!
    btw the bosses' moves are in a set order or they to them randomly?

18. LyunAvine

LyunAvine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Its random. Some bosses are so random that it actually combos you to death even with max hp, and yes its annoying yet fun.

19. Manipulation

Manipulation

Resources:
    Resources:
    well its good that its random otherwise the fights would become predictble aka easier.

20. n00b

n00b

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    mostly random, but some bosses adhere to a 'flowcharty' moveset that gives them a degree of predictability

also some enemy behaviors are conditional, like magic golem throwing fireballs only when you're far away