• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #28 - Wizards - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
It might be retarded but its the truth. Its what most of the voters do when they vote , they look for what looks good. Thats for most of the voters. Just look at Freddyk, Hayate and PROXY's entry, in game and screenshots of various angles. Its just a matter of choosing for the voters what looks good for them. They pretty much did the voters a favor, save time. Now what could've been done was putting a link to your uploaded entry, direfury. pretty much what i did so the site viewer was used. Again thats just my point here, attacking the dude who said he aint gonna waste time checking a model is uncalled for. He's actually making a valid point.

Last edited:
Level 15
While I can't speak for the rest of the staff, I can say that we are examining and evaluating the current procedures for contest.

One of the ideas being thrown around is to require all submissions to be uploaded, so that voters can use the site's model viewer, which would hopefully mitigate the contention and issues on display here (which are perfectly justified in my opinion; there needs to be a better, more consistent method).

So, we're aware of it, and we're talking about it.

While I can't speak for the rest of the staff, I can say that we are examining and evaluating the current procedures for contest.

One of the ideas being thrown around is to require all submissions to be uploaded, so that voters can use the site's model viewer, which would hopefully mitigate the contention and issues on display here (which are perfectly justified in my opinion; there needs to be a better, more consistent method).

So, we're aware of it, and we're talking about it.

That is a Very Good Idea, But should Point out that the Model Viewer are sometimes buggy.. (Even Magos also doesnt work well with some of the content in model such as ribbon)
I know there is a map in hive around that is use to display model, which is ingame=How it should be ingame
Animation Viewer Map
But then if use that it would be hard to check some of the details.

Theres Pros and Cons for different ways to check the model :V

too late to vote :|

was in doubt for too long. many interesting entries, but each with its faults...

People should not use the "new" model viewer. I always use the old one thats still implented in the site - bugs that happen in the new nearly never appear in the old one (aside from the many more features you have)
this. the new viewer screws up almost every model, in some aspect. if that's to be implemented, use the old viewer.

i remember that in some of the past competitions, contest hosts would put up those test maps with every entry in it already configured, so it wasn't a pain in the ass to the voters to test models in-game.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This issue has existed since the beginning with these Contests; nay, since the beginning of recorded history. That's because it's not an issue of "models" and "animations", but an issue of "perspective" and "human nature".

How does one defeat the natural human inclinations of 'doing as little work as possible' and the importance of visuals? People naturally want to do as little work as possible, and people naturally care more about/are swayed by FANCY GRAFIX over almost everything else.
  • Does the onus lie on the Contest Host/Moderator; putting all the models into a test-map (Note: I've actually done that... It's not easy to do it right. Quite onerous), or to organize the Contest Thread with pictures & links & such (also a burden)?
  • Or perhaps with the contestants; to upload their models to the site (ruining the element of equity by giving them moderator insight pre-Judging // having a buggy Viewer to see the model by)? Or to prepare their model's screenshot in a pleasing way (unfairly benefiting those with artistic skills & time)?
  • Or perhaps with the voters themselves; the most likely & unlikely choice. Likely because we want to expect the best out of people, and unlikely because... well, ever heard the phrase "like herding cats"? Do we force them to download models themselves with no images or test maps, which will weed out the "lazy voters" and ensure people actually, physically test the model in it's entirety (yet weeding out perhaps too many so there *are* no voters?).

This is the crux of "getting people to act outside their natures"; unless we mandate it (which raises the issues of enforcement), people will take the easiest method & do the least work.

~~~

For the record, I'm torn between wanting to encourage votes (i.e. make it easy for the voter, i.e. test map) and encourage good, thoughtful votes (i.e. make it hard for the voter; make them work for their vote. Provide models with no images & force voters to try them out in-game or in-viewer). Generally, while a test-map is neat, it's a lot of work, and I vacillate between "include images" and "don't". Alternatively is requiring voters to Post in the Thread with a "Reason" for their Vote, so "lazy" voters don't get in/counted. But again, "work for the Mod" vs. "work for the Voters"...

*sight* Not sure what the right answer is... If there even is one.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Cover your bases. If both do it, you have three judges. If one of them can't follow through, you can still wrap this up.

Just make sure you don't sit on something for too long if you don't have to. If you have two complete judgings by the end of the week, I recommend that you run with it.

Can we just get this done already?

You might want to reconsider your impatience and think about that most people (including myself) have jobs and a social life outside the Hive and really do not have the liberty to spend the little free time we have go willy-nilly flamboyant and question other people.

You might want to reconsider your impatience and think about that most people (including myself) have jobs and a social life outside the Hive and really do not have the liberty to spend the little free time we have go willy-nilly flamboyant and question other people.

Well... I know, But it is indeed already very long.....

but... Anyway..... I guess is just waiting for deolrin? Or is still waiting for General?
I mean, Already have 2 judge sent right? of course, I wouldn't mind waiting for a little longer, just ya know? Askin

Level 36
then don't judge another contest if you can't finish the judging in time.

That's plain disrespectful and completely uncalled for, Grendel.

Do consider that General Frank and Misha are doing this out of their good will
so that you and the other contestants actually have a contest to be part of, they
don't get paid for it and they rarely get the appreciation they should get.

Get off your high horse and calm all the way down, this is the first and only
warning you're going to get in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.