• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Contest #24 ~ The Poll

Which entry do you find the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture61197.png

160036-albums4747-picture61198.png

160036-albums4747-picture59728.png

Feels

Contestants had to create a model that represents a feeling or an emotion.

Entries
HappyCockroach
160036-albums4747-picture61201.png

Shame

|
PROXY
160036-albums4747-picture61199.png

Wrath

|
Vermillion Edict
160036-albums4747-picture61200.png

Fury

|
Retera
160036-albums4747-picture61202.png

Confusion

|

Contest

Level 51
Damned, forgot to tell you my model should represent Inner Wrath, whi ch is also the reason why it is so cloaked in and stuff and releases that angry soul at it's death.
It's my foult anyway cause I called the file Incarnation of Wrsth instead of inner Wrath. Oh well ^^

anyway I vote for Vermillion, even if the texture doesn't fit in Wc3 so,much, I've always liked it's style.

Level 16
Shame
I was really taken by this model the moment I saw the preview pic and wasn't dissapointed when I later tested it in game. Great animations like 'attack' and 'spell' which convey the model's feelings wonderfully.

Inner Wrath
The model itself is pretty nice, but I'm missing the emotional aspect of it. It was only obvious on 'death', and somewhat visible on 'spell', but the more important anims of 'walk' and 'attack' aren't conveying the emotion at all. Sorry man :)

Fury
This model has plenty of animations to show and many of them impressed me as to how furious this bastard must be feeling inside - from the exploding 'morph' anim to the 'brooding walk' anim. A worthy submission.

Confusion
A really fun model to look at, with its many different angles showing the wacky aspect of it. And although I liked its animations in general, I felt that none were really eye catching enough to push this submission to the top.

---------

So I gave Vermillion Edict's Fury my vote, with HC's Shame a close second.

Level 5
Shame'll win anyway! I just wonder about the file size? Since with only 884 vertice and 11 animations, with my experience the file size 'll be about 120 to 150 kb. So i'm pretty sure you wasted file size in some unnecessary stuff (example: too much bones for lowpoly cloth).
- BTW the Stand Ready should be a perfect loop instead of he vomited some thing and that thing suddenly disappear.
- Two "Stand Ready" animations are another waste too!

My vote goes for Fury. All those models are awesome but Fury's animations make the difference (just the walk alternate animation that seems a bit weird to me ; I guess that's the harder to make).

Btw, the morph/morph alternate animations are bugged in-game for Fury. That's Magos' editor fault since it doesn't properly display the particle emitter. Please fix it ^^.

Shame'll win anyway! I just wonder about the file size? Since with only 884 vertice and 11 animations, with my experience the file size 'll be about 120 to 150 kb. So i'm pretty sure you wasted file size in some unnecessary stuff (example: too much bones for lowpoly cloth).
- BTW the Stand Ready should be a perfect loop instead of he vomited some thing and that thing suddenly disappear.
- Two "Stand Ready" animations are another waste too!
halt! theres a dirty trick there!

stand ready is set to never loop... so it wont disappear suddenly and will perform smoothly... and i made it big so it supports even the slowest cooldowns... (in critical cases the model may stand frozen for fractions of second, only the globally animated cloth moving, but that doesnt even look so bad.)

the filesize is big because the animations arent linear, they are all TCB, because i like the quality of tcb anims, and that cloth to look smooth took me a bunch of bones indeed.

Level 5
the filesize is big because the animations arent linear, they are all TCB, because i like the quality of tcb anims, and that cloth to look smooth took me a bunch of bones indeed.
I didn't see any difference between tcb and linear result! Since two way have the same result, i take the way that save the file size.

Level 5
- Actually, I really cant see any difference between tcb and MY linear animation. Other people may have a clumsy animation with linear type, but not me!
- BTW since it's lowpoly game so it should be fine, but in higher level of animation: the cloth shouldn't move the same way in every animation, for example when he walk, when he spin etc....

- Actually, I really cant see any difference between tcb and MY linear animation. Other people may have a clumsy animation with linear type, but not me!
- BTW since it's lowpoly game so it should be fine, but in higher level of animation: the cloth shouldn't move the same way in every animation, for example when he walk, when he spin etc....
just checked your models and gotta say the animations are good for linear, (except for some physics mistakes in some anims, mostly the flying ones), but they're a bit too robot-like sometimes from a close look, because linear animations are never totally smooth... linear will always have this issue.
if you want to take it to "a higher level of animation" as you mentioned yourself, you would have to migrate to bezier or hermite... (you would see the difference immediately)

It's a shame how few votes Vermillion gets. Even if Retera's model is quite good in showing the emotion, Vermillion's is as well nonetheless and it's not a piece of randomly puttogether pieces of models. (no offense Retera ^^)
i agree vermi is underrated here, but also i do think Retera's model is very interesting and i hope you have no indirect intentions by saying that, considering Retera is next to you on the poll...

Level 5
If you want to take it to "a higher level of animation" as you mentioned yourself, you would have to migrate to bezier or hermite... (you would see the difference immediately)
It's not just about how smooth the animation go, it's more about how creative and how complicated the animation can be, and realistic too.
Foots go throught ground, flying walk... etc, and they said it's magic of the model. Flying walk good for some model of course, but most of the time they 're too lazy for a properly walk or foot archon so they do flying walk. That's my experience, you may agree with me too.
With simple animation performing like your model did, no need foot archon switching, no need jumping, no need spinning, 200 KB is just way too much for the performing. But this is model contest not filesize contest, so it's totally fine, and no doubt you'll get 1st soon!
In my perspective, good model not mean model with good animation, it's model with good value use, and good value use mean: good animation + good filesize + creative design + usefulness. Balance all those stuff and you have a good model.

Level 51
i agree vermi is underrated here, but also i do think Retera's model is very interesting and i hope you have no indirect intentions by saying that, considering Retera is next to you on the poll...

Ofc. not :D I really like Retera's model too, in fact I like them both very much. That has nothing to do with the poll results or something like that, I'm not that kind of person >.>

I fail at judging, but here we go :p
Retera's Confusion chara looks hilarious, in a good way xD
HappyCockroach's Shame chara looks pretty classy and (lol) ashamed
and Proxy's Wrath chara looks pretty spiffy, although i'm not a fan of the head
and lastly, Verm's chara is just as cool

i've sorted em already above, but you can switch first and second place if you wish :p

Level 35
I could have judged this contest long time ago but the theme was stupid and I didn't even wanted to compete.

Well, opinions I guess. Personally it seems to be a nifty twist that could lead to some interesting models. Though I would likely have gone with some more obscure models and perhaps combined it with a set of skills/spells.

I could have judged this contest long time ago but the theme was stupid and I didn't even wanted to compete.
really? I think the opposite. I would find stupid a theme like "Boats".
this theme was marvelous and if we had more entries it would be awesome...

this contest was (potentially) all about art and poetry in modeling... with so many literal themes being hosted (aircraft, buildings, etc) I find it nice that once in a while we have a subjective trippy theme. only a shame we didn't get many entries.

Level 51
really? I think the opposite. I would find stupid a theme like "Boats".
this theme was marvelous and if we had more entries it would be awesome...

this contest was (potentially) all about art and poetry in modeling... with so many literal themes being hosted (aircraft, buildings, etc) I find it nice that once in a while we have a subjective trippy theme.

Couldn't agree more.

only a shame we didn't get many entries.

:ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 35
Couldn't agree more.

Nice spotted there.. Happy trying to influence the subconscious mind of voters.. or maybe not given that all voting and judging is done.

I am waiting in excitement for Pharaoh_ to come online and declare a winner.. Or maybe I have a good notion for whom it will be. :wgrin:

Edit: Wonder when it will be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.