• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Modelling Contest #23 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, sick to shit of seeing marine models in every modern/future warfare type maps. so here is my proposal

Space Age Trooper

basically a weaponless soldier model that would fit in a space combat environment. And when i say space, it doesnt necessarily mean needs to be airtight suit and etc. it just have to look a bit more advanced than the troopers of the current time period

Needs to be human

it has to be weaponless as to best utilise the variety of weapon attachment models currently in hive. You CAN, however, make a separate gun model as a fitting attachment

The contest allows for both solo and paired entry

Last edited:
Level 23
I am so for this.

denny_crane.jpg

Red

Red

Level 26
So if...
-The model must be a singular Humanoid figure.
-The model must fit a Sci-Fi theme.

Then...
-Can the model be a humanoid alien?
-Can the model be a mechanical/robotic humanoid?
-Can the model be steampunk-themed?
-Can the model use melee weapons instead of guns?

Remember that the ONLY purpose of having a theme is to eliminate the possibility of apples-to-oranges comparisons!

Having this theme being optionally paired is a very good idea; many artists on here simply don't have the time or resources to make a fully animated humanoid without a little help - but for those who don't want to go through the hassle of cooperative work, the option to go solo is there too.

Red

Red

Level 26
How about doing something that we, the Hive's users find it really useful, such as Special Effects? It's such an all-time classic! :>
Frankly, usefulness is subjective and really shouldn't dictate contest themes regardless. Anyhow, I think effects would make a good theme for a mini-contest, but for a full-blown (possibly even paired) contest, I think we've got a good theme here with the sci-fi soldier.

What About power Robots?
As long as it's a humanoid robot, I don't see why not.

Here's another rule suggestion:
-Animations from the Rifleman/Marine/Chaos Space Orc models are not allowed.
Seeing as even when someone does make an original looking marine model, it most likely uses one of those animations, which ingame makes it indistinguishable from all the other ones (especially the fucking death animation). And those animations suck balls anyway.

I never said anything about having to create custom animations, just that the marine/rifleman/chaos space orc animations would be banned. General Frank has managed to create a handful of space orcs with ingame animations that aren't from those models. Using these animations creates the same predicament that has plagued the naga race for years. There are many really cool and different models, but when you see them ingame all using the exact same animations, it looks really boring and repetitive.
I was mostly joking about not using the rifleman animations being a rule, but this contest is meant to bring about some awesome and useful Spehs Mahreens so that people don't have to use the ingame Marine model for everything. If the models in this contest use the same animations as the marine, what's the point?

Level 17
^Agree. If it is of any help, I'll leave this here. It's a modified version of something I was working on, not optimised, but feel free to use the animations if you can figure out how to transfer them. If there's any interest I'll make some more.

Attack speed is supposed to be 0.3 or lower, normal anims are for rifles, alternate for pistols (missing the attack as of now). It turned out to be a little small for most rifle attachments unfortunately, but I can't resize the whole thing now.

Attachments

• marine3r.mdx
    82.3 KB · Views: 130
Level 5
Im going to participate if the theme is this :D
I think every soldier model should have an attachment point at the weapon, but this attachment point should be really small (like 1% size), and then enlarge when the unit shoots :)
This way, we could be able to use the weapon shooting effects more easily and make awesome effects ;)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/konstrukt_assaultrifleeffektattachment-49025/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/konstrukt_miniguneffektattachment_recover-49020/

Status
Not open for further replies.