• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Modeling contest suggestion: Portable building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!
I have never been much engaged in contests until lately when i have been doing some judging. One interesting concept i would like to see explored is the idea of portable buildings.

The idea has been used in many games, such as the crawlers in C&C 4:

In one of my favorite games, Battlezone 2, the home base starts off as a tank-like vehicle and later deploys into a structure:

battlez2_screen001.jpg

bz_forest.gif

Not to mention Starcraft, in which terran buildings can lift off to relocate.

Ofcourse, we are not limited to the sci-fi genre, and the posibilities are endless. What about a giant beetle carrying an undead structure on its back, which can burrow down to train units? Or a gnome factory which can deflate a set of balloons and fly? Siege ancients? A cannon tower which can deploy claw-like robotic feet and crawl to the front lines? Or a statue-like shrine which can come alive? The list goes on, suffice to say i think this theme could come up with some really creative models.

Let me know what you think.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hello everyone!
I have never been much engaged in contests until lately when i have been doing some judging.
YOU'RE WELCOME. : )

Fingolfin said:
One interesting concept i would like to see explored is the idea of portable buildings.

The idea has been used in many games, such as the crawlers in C&C 4:

In one of my favorite games, Battlezone 2, the home base starts off as a tank-like vehicle and later deploys into a structure:

battlez2_screen001.jpg

bz_forest.gif

Not to mention Starcraft, in which terran buildings can lift off to relocate.

Ofcourse, we are not limited to the sci-fi genre, and the posibilities are endless. What about a giant beetle carrying an undead structure on its back, which can burrow down to train units? Or a gnome factory which can deflate a set of balloons and fly? Siege ancients? A cannon tower which can deploy claw-like robotic feet and crawl to the front lines? Or a statue-like shrine which can come alive? The list goes on, suffice to say i think this theme could come up with some really creative models.

Let me know what you think.
You got me.

This idea may not make my life easier... But it's dang interesting, relatively creative, and you make it sound cool. : ) More importantly, I'm very grateful for the list of ideas at the bottom; I usually feel that if one person can come up with all that for one idea, then a solid contest is on the way.

Here's hoping for Fantasy >>> Sci-Fi in this contest.

~~~

My only complaint, if any (and it's small) is that we just did a Modeling Contest that was heavily "technology/science-fiction/mechanical" stuff-centered/themed. It might be that people are a little 'tapped out' and want to explore more fantastical themes (though, as you pointed out, there are some of those as well available). Now I'm no modeler (certainly not a contestant), so I'll let them say how they feel about this. Just my two cents. : )

But wait... If we do Portable Buildings, & I can convince someone...

JUNGLE TROLL MOBILE WARD-TOWER

Alright, start the contest already. YE GOT ME. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.