• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 23: THEME DECISION

Vote for the theme you would like to participate in for modeling contest 23

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

A FAIR AND INTERESTING THEME

leonardo.jpg

So, i've thought about how .... disappointing the themes and eventual results have been in these contests. And so we will be using a slightly new method to our theme-choosing madness.So here's how it's going to go down....

I want you to post here and give me 3 model contest themes that you would like to participate in.

Regardless of the theme, the next modeling contest will be optionally paired, you can have 1 partner if you want. More options, more opportunity, hopefully make for more and better entries.

I will ONLY be counting and considering posts and suggestions from MODELERS and/or PRIOR modeling contest participants. Our last contest, "mimic" was chosen by people who did not even participate in the damn contest they voted for.

You can suggest a theme that has been used before in a contest, you can suggest a theme from >HERE< or you can make up a new theme, whatever you can imagine.

My intention in this new method is to get more and better entries, it doesn't make sense for participants to be stuck with a shitty theme that was chosen by ... people who don't model.

I will post an example below.

These themes fit well within pre-existing wc3 lore and general modding; and would be very useful for a wide variety of maps

AnaRadaDlrnDosleubepsimorbProxHappVermbobskraskardionfingMechSham
Tier-1 Unit11213
Creep Boss23332
3 tier building211

These themes are broader, and encompass more ideas outside of wc3 lore/modding than they do inside.

Western113232
Musical Unit231
Vehicle 121

These themes were not nominated as often as the others, so we are to assume that there is less interest in them.

Mage2
Mounted Unit3
Unit w/ Attachables1
Soldier1332
Dragon31

Post-Apocalyptic3
Insect222
Hybrid 1
Virtual3
Predator1
angels/demons33
Chimera1
Steampunk1
Eastern2

-UPDATE-

The poll has been culled and narrowed down to the 3 most popular
wc3 related themes and 3 most popular non wc3 related themes.
Please recast your vote for ONE of these remaining six choices

Last edited:
Level 49
I would like to participate in:
1. Tier 1 Unit.
2. Creep Boss.
3. Musical Unit.

Tier 1 unit because it's simple, nice, broad and open. There's a lot of possibilities, and you don't have to overcomplicate anything. So that probably means no particle spam or morph animations or giant fucking tanks, which might or might not be a good relief from the previous contests.

Creep Boss because I like Warcraft 3 races, and I like creeps, and again - It's very open. You can do a lot of stuff.

Musical Unit because I've had some ideas for this theme a while ago.

Level 49
a customizable model: a base model that has either several alternative animations, or a set of attachment models that fit with it

So, essentially, like this?

Or more like this?

Or do both examples work?
And plus, of course, the whole "attachment models" things.

I think I like your idea a lot. I may change some stuff in my rankings for it. :3

Level 13
So, essentially, like this?

Or more like this?

Or do both examples work?
And plus, of course, the whole "attachment models" things.

I think I like your idea a lot. I may change some stuff in my rankings for it. :3
those are tiered units, they upgrade to each other linearly, i was more thinking along the lines of having alternate upgrades that were somewhat mutually exclusive, like a peon that could upgrade to a ranged, melee or magical militia, or a light weight vehicle that could upgrade to heavy artillery, heavilly armored or troop transporting. the key word here is or

musical unit
insect
pyra's soldierboys

and i dont think the mimic theme and chess theme were fails. they were rather cool contests with a good amount of entries... the winners made good models... why always saying OMG FACEPALM THAT CONTEST REALLY SUCKED ... of course it would be nice if we made a contest in which TDR, jigrael, Callahan, and all other skilled modellers around the hive did something and summed up a good amount of pro entries, but the times have changed... we should get over it and keep hosting interesting themes

Level 26
So i made a list of the suggested themes and marked their placements. Ill leave the suggestions open another day but i eventually want to start culling the less desirable themes and have everyone recast their vote on a smaller selection.

Also I hope that the people posting here actually intend to at least try to participate in this contest.

Did anyone say western?!

attachment.php

Quite frankly, i think we should choose a theme that could actually produce something USEFUL, so far we have had lots of awesome superunits that fit into.. no existing concept whatsoever.

My list would be:

1. Tier 1 unit
2. Western
3. Mounted unit

Attachments

• NativeVilalge.jpg
    NativeVilalge.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 455
Level 28
Here is my list, for me this things are the most unique things to model right now, and very useful.
1. High-quality modern doodads
2. High-quality with animation trees and other environment models.(Don't tell me that Eubz already have one because they are still not that many.)
3. High-quality Clothes? (clothes not armor)

We don't really need those hardcore model right now because we have plenty of it at THW

Level 18
Here's my 3 choice of theme;

1) Steampunk
Basically making a unit/hero/etc which fits into an era which steam technology and magic co-exist.
Usually the setting for such theme is somewhat similar to Victorian era.

2) Western
Make a unit/hero/etc which fits into an era of the Wild West where cowboys roam the land.

3) Insectoid
Make a unit/hero that resembles a humanoid insect.
NOTE : If this theme does goes up, I hope model-makers will not make their model nearly identical to a Nerubian.

Level 18
Okay, though I didn't participate properly in any contest, I got a visitor message to suggest a theme. So... I don't know why so many people like the western theme, personally I'd hate it. The 3-tier building would be my choice, it has quite interesting possibilities. If it wins, I'll join.

Level 26
I choose 3-Tier- Building, basically because it's the only not directly wc3-related theme that has a chance of winning.
But for the future: I would prefer if wc3-stlye would not at all be a thing that needs to be considered when choosing a theme.

thats why i posted 3 themes that were definitely wc3/wc3modding related, and 3 that were not very wc3 related. For a mixed batch

Level 31
I just wanted to throw in, that a tier 3 building means a lot of work, meaning you need to model 3 times as much as normally, and the whole animations for buildings are really shitty to make, so it MIGHT, only MIGHT bring us again to the point when there are only 1 or 2 entries.

funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif

THAT'S RICH.
The only other option that requires LESS precision, animation work, general anatomical knowledge, and just basic skill, is vehicles.
FUCKING VEHICLES.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.