• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 23: THEME DECISION

Vote for the theme you would like to participate in for modeling contest 23

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
See I know Mr.Bob makes cool buildings, but what I meant is, it's just so fucking boring to add these animations (IMO) and these particles and stuff and all, and and and, and then even three tiers off it. So much of it would be geoset animation work and particle work, that it would again get so few entries like the campaign contest. See how many tier 3 buildings are existing in the hive data base. Not counting Mr.Bob's one.

I'm open for changing my mind ofc. if I will be proven better.

See I know Mr.Bob makes cool buildings, but what I meant is, it's just so fucking boring to add these animations (IMO) and these particles and stuff and all, and and and, and then even three tiers off it. So much of it would be geoset animation work and particle work, that it would again get so few entries like the campaign contest. See how many tier 3 buildings are existing in the hive data base. Not counting Mr.Bob's one.

I'm open for changing my mind ofc. if I will be proven better.

Oh right, we should be doing a theme that already has a shitload of fitting models in the database. If it's already been done, why not keep doing it?

And guys, as shown by the past failed modeling contests, people tend to drop out because they can't finish the animations. So I think the less required animations, the better.

Level 31
a tier 3 building means a lot of work

=/=

it's just so fucking boring to add these animations
Bleh.

Anyway, all jokes aside (for the most part), I think we need to think somewhat pragmatically here. I mean, I'd be all for us all making a shitload of awesome troopers with custom animations, but let's be honest: Hive modelers are lazy as fuck and/or have the skills of a limbless donkey. Therefore, I really don't see anything like that happening. We'd get an entry from Red and Pyra (working as a team) and then maybe one more.

The nice thing about buildings is they are basically the easiest thing in the fucking world to animate, because there is NO fucking animation! (Or at least there doesn't have to be.) It's beautiful. They're basically unit doodads.

And honestly, coming from a person who basically exclusively shit out buildings for a year or two, the addition of the 3 tier-ness doesn't make it particularly difficult. It just means you can be a lot more grandiose with your concepts. I mean, since polies aren't really an issue with buildings, go fucking crazy.

As for the "you can't be original argument," I'd like to point out that it works basically the same way organic shit does in terms of constraints. Organic shit has to be alive, capable of movement, and that's basically it. (In the broad sense.) Buildings have to be structurally sound (at least reasonably in a fantasy environment), and somewhat static. There's a lot of wiggle room there.

...that and I really want to make another building for old time's sake.

..pls..

Buildings have to be structurally sound (at least reasonably in a fantasy environment), and somewhat static.

*cough*hatchery*cough cough*

Frankly, wouldn't mind seeing some semi-mobile buildings like those of C&C, Battlezone etc either, even though it might be a bit of a doubble effort with the three tiers. Maybe that's a theme for another contest.

Ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Animations aren't that easy. You must do build mesh, with pieces appearing during the animations, global sequences and all disappearing after the animations, all this in annoying 3 minutes or else it bugs, then stand work animation, which should be more that just some particle, while at death particle fest, glows and so on, again with annoying 3 minutes with decay, or again it bugs. So you end with crapload of meshes and you can barely find anything you want ._.

Fucking buildings.... who needs em?
Everybody wants/needs/craves Western Stuff... Those who want to make a 3rd tier building can make an Upgradeable Sheriffs department or Saloon :p

yeah western... Aztecs ftw!

Level 51
Oh right, we should be doing a theme that already has a shitload of fitting models in the database. If it's already been done, why not keep doing it?

And guys, as shown by the past failed modeling contests, people tend to drop out because they can't finish the animations. So I think the less required animations, the better.

Animations aren't that easy. You must do build mesh, with pieces appearing during the animations, global sequences and all disappearing after the animations, all this in annoying 3 minutes or else it bugs, then stand work animation, which should be more that just some particle, while at death particle fest, glows and so on, again with annoying 3 minutes with decay, or again it bugs. So you end with crapload of meshes and you can barely find anything you want ._.

This.

To sum it up, they are boring, annoying and lots of work to do.

But meh, if everyone likes it why not ^^

Level 49

Really simple to do after you're done with the mesh and split it up into geosets. You can just take most of the stuff from actual WC3 buildings, you don't need to make your own.

Level 26

yeah western... Aztecs ftw!

another person who has never seen a model by mr.bob?
set the decay and build animations to non looping and just set the entire building on 1 bone.
-animation starts
-translate everything ^UP^
-add giant smoke particle-
-profit?

Of course you could do fancy elaborate pretty-looking shit animations for a birth or a death. But the fact is that buildings have the LOWEST bare minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.