• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model lighting issues?

Level 3
Hello Hive people, I have been working on a project for my work. I have been exploring the model editor, customizing textures, the whole nine yards, from making a basic model from the model editor and mldvis, to putting it in WE, and eventually seeing my results in game. Anywho, in the WE when I press L it changes from turning lighting on to off and vis versa. This function is probably common knowledge. Anyway my original image to my model is bright (which is what i want), I can see all the details on it. When I process that image through the modeling phase and input it into WE, the model is very seeable when the WE lighting is off(when you press L), along with everything else. And when I turn the lighting on(what you would see in game), the model gets so dark, i liked it the way before. Is there anyway to brighten each of my models then reinput them into WE or turn off lighting while the game is running? Or another way someone knows that I can potentially do that can help my cause in this?
Sincerely, Whitelegend
Oh and btw I didn't know if this thread should be categorized as Modeling, texture, or world editor help. I am sure one of the seniors of this website will hopefully place this question in the proper category.

Level 3
@Jaccouille yes, I have attached some here. I hope you can see them. If not let me know and i will reupload them.
@ThompZon I am just going to say it straight. It has been many years since I really messed with the WE. I have looked at your post and am drawing blanks. I have no idea what you are talking about. But regardless, I do intend to learn whatever I got to learn to finish this project for my work. And if that means I need to learn a few more programs on here to do that, then thats fine.

Attachments

• lighting off.jpg
    lighting off.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 14
  • lighting on(like ingame).jpg
    lighting on(like ingame).jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 15
@Jaccouille yes, I have attached some here. I hope you can see them. If not let me know and i will reupload them.
@ThompZon I am just going to say it straight. It has been many years since I really messed with the WE. I have looked at your post and am drawing blanks. I have no idea what you are talking about. But regardless, I do intend to learn whatever I got to learn to finish this project for my work. And if that means I need to learn a few more programs on here to do that, then thats fine.
Sorry, wrote that pretty fast without too much thought. It's regarding modelling tools anyways.
RMS is Retera's Model Studio (with a fairly active discord on Join the Retera Model Studio Users Group Discord Server! dedicated to modelling).
Because it's open source a fork (2nd edition) happened some while ago where various upgrades came in and basically the two versions have deviated quite a lot.
RMS Twilac Edition #TwilacsTruly3D v05 for the twilac edition RMS.

I think that you need to set your material to "Unshaded".
I'm unsure how to do it in other tools, in RMS you'd open your model and then:
1. Go to model-tab
2. select the material
3. check the "unshaded" flag
1695397295259.png

Level 3
@ThompZon Hey, so as soon as i read your reply i went onto the War3Model Editor. I opened my model. i went to the window button ->Material manager->opened the material->opened the material Layer-> And on the bottom left there is a box to check for unshaded just like the model editor that you have used. Honestly i didn't even bother downloading a whole new program(Retera's Model Studio). i thought maybe i might find it. And man it didn't take any time at all. As you can see i attached a image, there is a old model and the new one with the unshaded checked. So it does work, this is exactly what i was talking about and needed. Thank you very much ThompZon.
Sincerely, Whitelegend

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 10