• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model crash Editor / Computer / Display Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hello.

Faced a massive issue concerning crashing Eorld Editor, or PC due to display driver being not responsive. Error says: display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Tried to solve the problem, but nothing helped, watched a bunch of videos, used Microsoft's Fix It file, no use.

The problem is, I use a really big model that screws up screen. Basically computer can not process all of this data and crashes eventually and I can't progress with the map. I tried on different computer, tried resizing model, deleting and then adding other doodads, it is all cool as long as I don't select it, then boom, freezes after several blackouts.

I figured out there is no way to solve it, but to do something about model itself, else I lost hope. Is there something that can be done to prevent screen from messing up? What could possibily cause it and how can I reduce the memory needed for all of this?

Thanks.

AIPHJ5S.png

Hello.

Faced a massive issue concerning crashing Eorld Editor, or PC due to display driver being not responsive. Error says: display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Tried to solve the problem, but nothing helped, watched a bunch of videos, used Microsoft's Fix It file, no use.

The problem is, I use a really big model that screws up screen. Basically computer can not process all of this data and crashes eventually and I can't progress with the map. I tried on different computer, tried resizing model, deleting and then adding other doodads, it is all cool as long as I don't select it, then boom, freezes after several blackouts.

I figured out there is no way to solve it, but to do something about model itself, else I lost hope. Is there something that can be done to prevent screen from messing up? What could possibily cause it and how can I reduce the memory needed for all of this?

Thanks.

AIPHJ5S.png

could you post the model. We could have a look.

Level 31
This is the model. Just scale it up real big and then zoom out camera, put few of them if needed, you will see this screwing up. When this is too much, it crash. I also noticed crash happens only with certain models in the map. The more I add of them, the bigger chance to freeze and crash computer. Since this is display driver, memory might be the problem. But is there a way to avoid this somehow? I don't want to make map and find out in later developement I can't put any doodad because getting freezed or get occasional crashes. I also don't want to lose the model, because it is perfect for what I am doing.

Level 31
So all this leads to messy screen and crashes of Display Driver? So I guess the only way would be to delete geosets, but then model is screwed up. Or this model could be divided at least in two or three models, but still, geoset goes through entire model and not for seperate pieces, for example, roof of the small dome is linked with all roofs of domes, all connected. Any possible suggestions except for getting rid of the model?

But everything is cool in game, except for Editor, maybe because it is a laptop and when game turns on, graphic card switches.

So all this leads to messy screen and crashes of Display Driver? So I guess the only way would be to delete geosets, but then model is screwed up. Or this model could be divided at least in two or three models, but still, geoset goes through entire model and not for seperate pieces, for example, roof of the small dome is linked with all roofs of domes, all connected. Any possible suggestions except for getting rid of the model?

But everything is cool in game, except for Editor, maybe because it is a laptop and when game turns on, graphic card switches.

Did you generate that model with the doodads tool that grabs a bunch of doodas and converts it into a single mdx file?

Level 31
It was ripped from WoW. It is odd, because everyting screws up only when I zoom out really far OR select certain models in the map, just certain and not the most. When it is not selected, it is all cool. I am still hoping for someone to come up with an alternative idea how to overcome this. :(

Level 29
Here's an alternative: don't cause driver buffer overflows, and the driver wont crash.
Like BlinkBoy wrote, you can only index 65535 vertices.

A possible solution is to split the model to two while retaining all the keyframes etc. if those exist.
A better solution is to not use a model not meant for WC3 that alone accounts to hundreds of normal models...

Level 31
By splitting you mean deleting a half of geosets for one piece and deleting other for another piece? Removing geosets would do it?

EDIT: Okay, I will make 3 models out of this one. I need upper level to be big scaled, lower level to be scaled and a whole to be shown from far. I cleaned it up, entire inside, some of outside and the whole model now has 62 052 vertices, 3 500 less than a limit. Is this okay? Will it still have tendency to crash or it should be decent?

EDIT: Divided the model into 4 pieces. Seems like problem solved. It still glitches the screen when selected, but no crash anymore. Thanks for people who cared to help. :)

Last edited:
Level 31
For some reason I can not open MDL file with the program, I get Run Time Error '5', it asks to select geosets at start. Not sure how to use it.

Is welding going to cause other problems or it is completely cool and you wouldn't even be able to tell that it was welded in editor/game?

I am facing another problem of scaling model into really big one. I am using a flat model with 8 vertices as a ground tile far beneath ground level which is alpha tiled. When I size it REALLY big and exactly what I need it to be, it cause same problems, glitchy screen, blackouts with Display Driver not being responsive, freezing computer. Model is not being extremely large, but big. Is there a way to reduce glitching? Model is really simple, very few vertices and still the same problem.

For some reason I can not open MDL file with the program, I get Run Time Error '5', it asks to select geosets at start. Not sure how to use it.
What program?

attachment.php

The arrow points toward a paladin, in a x256 map.

Check this welded model, i didn't bother putting the textures.

Attachments

• Wyrmrest.jpg
    Wyrmrest.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Welded.mdx
    1 MB · Views: 78
Level 31
Cool, size dropped 4 times. Thanks for testing. Concerning big doodads, it was my fault, because I resized some of the polies to 0 size through Magos and this obviously led to this mess. I changed to unedited model and it now works perfectly.

Everything seems to be solved, thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.