• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Mapping Contest #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

p_mini-png.311514
ct_mapping-png.311496

contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
8-png.311481

diablo-3-reaper-of-souls-evil-edition-two-column-01-ps4-eu-31oct14-png.367676

boss-fight-png.356505

The contestants need to create one boss fight for 1 player. The boss must have two phases, and the contestant needs to make exactly 1 class/hero for the player. The hero MUST have custom abilities (no reskinned default abilities or whatever). There will be a focus on visual and audial representation.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• All submissions and all resources contained within the map must adhere to all of Hiveworkshop's rules.
  • You cannot start working on your submission before the contest has officially started.
  • You must post at least 3 Work-in-Progress media (images/videos) that clearly show your progress.
  • You must state in your bundle's description whether your map is designed for SD or HD. If the game version is not current, it must be stated.
  • There must be a respawn system in place so you don't have to restart the map if you die.
  • You may not use a map template or open source map from the map section.
  • You may not use any spell resources from the spells section. Exceptions are systems like Bribe's damage engine, knockback or similar.
  • Your map must be; Bug-free with absolutely NO game breaking bugs, lag free on up to date gaming computers(slight lag is acceptable in cinematics), periodic timers and other high frequency triggers must be leak free. Icons, models and textures must be properly imported and optimized for Warcraft 3 (No green icons or wow models with messed up animations etc).
  • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
  • Teamwork - physically working on someone else's entry - is not allowed.
    • Feedback and testing aren't considered teamwork and are welcome.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 15 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_entries-png.311509

Contestant Entries

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

The judging criteria will be split two-ways;

Gameplay /50
ThemeHow well does the entry conform the contest theme?/5

Hero
Were the hero abilities well thought out and did they have relevant practical application? How well did they work towards beating the boss? /20

Boss Fight
Was the actual boss fight well done, and with innovative mechanics? Did it require skill to beat the boss? /20

Triggers
Does the map run well performance-wise?
Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, etc.
/5

/50

Audial and visual experience /50
TerrainWas the terrain of the arena well done? Was any unique terraining techniques utilized?/20

Sounds/FX
Were sounds and special effects used in a good way? Was there any custom music, and did it all fit together nicely?/10

Atmosphere
Did the terrain and music create a generally pleasing or desirable atmosphere? How was the general execution? Was the experience immersive?/20

/50

Total points attainable; 100.

Results Calculation

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on 13th of November 2020 and conclude on 13th of December 2020 GMT.

Assigned Staff:

Contest | Results

Level 11
Hot take on this contest (and maybe contests in general): I'd love to see these contests reduce the heavy focus on terrain, atmosphere and sound in the scoring. Leave that to the terraining contests.

These components should be used as tools to drive fun and exciting gameplay in the mini-mapping contests. It would shift the focus of these contests to be mainly on gameplay and creating a unique experience for the players. Terrain should still be 'nice', but reducing the total for audio-visuals to 10% would be much more reasonable.

This game 18 years old now and I think a majority of us are still playing it for the unique gameplay that can be found in many of the best maps, not the visual experience.

Hot take on this contest (and maybe contests in general): I'd love to see these contests reduce the heavy focus on terrain, atmosphere and sound in the scoring. Leave that to the terraining contests.

These components should be used as tools to drive fun and exciting gameplay in the mini-mapping contests. It would shift the focus of these contests to be mainly on gameplay and creating a unique experience for the players. Terrain should still be 'nice', but reducing the total for audio-visuals to 10% would be much more reasonable.

This game 18 years old now and I think a majority of us are still playing it for the unique gameplay that can be found in many of the best maps, not the visual experience.

Well the thing is that terrain contests are always scenic terrains, since actual playable terrain needs to have some practical usage, or level design to go with it. Making a playable terrain simply for the sake of making it without filling it with content is beyond useless.

That's why having a very simple/short map is perfect for the people who enjoy making playable terrains. I did a mini RPG contest some time back, and there were many fantastic entries, but it took way too long.

To me, looking at the same 18 year old visuals/graphics and hearing the same 18 year old sounds for the 100000000th time completely kills the game, immersion, atmosphere and everything else.

Making a complete total conversion experience where both visuals and gameplay matters equally is what I want to see with these contests.

If you wish to create a contest focused on purely gameplay then you are of course welcome to do so.

Level 11
Well the thing is that terrain contests are always scenic terrains, since actual playable terrain needs to have some practical usage, or level design to go with it. Making a playable terrain simply for the sake of making it without filling it with content is beyond useless.

That's why having a very simple/short map is perfect for the people who enjoy making playable terrains. I did a mini RPG contest some time back, and there were many fantastic entries, but it took way too long.

I understand that the terraining contests are for scenic, not playable terrain. My argument is about the fraction of the score rubric devoted to audio-visual. I'm saying is that scoring should not be half based on terrain, because terrain isn't half of the game. It's just where the game takes place. Using it well is an important feature of a good map, but not half of a good map.

Making a complete total conversion experience where both visuals and gameplay matters equally is what I want to see with these contests.

Isn't this supposed to be a mini-mapping contest? I don't think a total conversion should be the expectation for something that's intended to be simple. The huge hosted projects like Embercraft are great places for total conversions.

I'd love to see these maps be focused on creative use of what we have to work with in WC3, because that's the content we've all loved for years.

To me, looking at the same 18 year old visuals/graphics and hearing the same 18 year old sounds for the 100000000th time completely kills the game, immersion, atmosphere and everything else.

I think this is a minority opinion in the player base of this community. The games that are popular right now use all the same visuals and sounds, but in unique ways that focus on the experience. If the goal is new visuals and graphics, why are we playing the same game still? Why do so many people prefer classic to reforged?

If you wish to create a contest focused on purely gameplay then you are of course welcome to do so.

This isn't true. The scoring balance right now is way too focused on the value of terrain for me to create an entry that doesn't have a high amount of time put into the terrain and audio aspects.

I understand that the terraining contests are for scenic, not playable terrain. My argument is about the fraction of the score rubric devoted to audio-visual. I'm saying is that scoring should not be half based on terrain, because terrain isn't half of the game. It's just where the game takes place. Using it well is an important feature of a good map, but not half of a good map.
Well that depends entirely on the game. Imagine Amnesia without the atmosphere, imagine Alien isolation without the atmosphere, imagine Crysis without the graphics, imagine Zelda Ocarina of time or Majora's mask without their atmospheres. The combination of sounds, visuals and music all contribute to creating an unforgettable experience. Visuals is one aspect of a map/game, and shouldn't be disregarded. Also, half of the scoring is not based on terrain, only 20% is directly based on terrain. 50% is based on atmosphere and immersion in general, and 50% is focused on game play.
Isn't this supposed to be a mini-mapping contest?
It is, but I don't see any "playable terrain" contests. Also as I already said, only making playable terrains without content is useless.
I don't think a total conversion should be the expectation for something that's intended to be simple.
I never said that's the expectation, I said that's what I want from contests.
I think this is a minority opinion in the player base of this community.
I never claimed it was a majority opinion, I said "to me".
why are we playing the same game still?
I don't, and many others don't. Many people just mod the game without actually playing it, because they lost interest in the same shit for 18 years straight. I only play when something truly unique is released.
This isn't true. The scoring balance right now is way too focused on the value of terrain for me to create an entry that doesn't have a high amount of time put into the terrain and audio aspects.
Take some time to read my posts better. I said, if you want to make a contest, not submit an entry.

EDIT: I think it's good to make people focus on things they aren't normally that good at. If a terrainer wants to enter then he/she needs to also implement some interesting mechanics and dynamic gameplay or else they will lose. If someone who only knows how to code or make interesting mechanics wants to enter then he/she also needs to make an effort to create something visually and audially pleasing or else they will lose. It's about striving to be good at all aspects of map making/development, and creating one tiny piece of ultra-quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.