• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-game Mapping Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 48
Guys.
Did you ever notice how pretty much no contest ever allowed infinite imports?
...Except for that solo mapping one a while ago. And it was one hell of an awesome contest. It had the best submissions I've seen in a WHILE.
So... What's wrong with imports again? Why do you always want to limit them? We have huge Skin and Model sections that are barely ever used, and only like a select few models are used.

It is a good point that you should get your priorities in order.
The original idea was to use a small map size, thus being the source of the "mini"
Then it shifted to the idea of a replayable multi-player map
And now it's shifted to using the least amount of imports possible.

If you want to get this approved, you should choose a set of rules and stick with it - the contest will only be approved when the rules are finalized and debate over them has ended.

I also agree with Debode, I previously mentioned it anyway.
Mini, as Raven0 stated, stands for a brief gameplay, without complex controls.
What you will end up seeing is several default Warcraft III models that are actually really ugly and a general lack of alternative visuals.
Don't prevent people from becoming creative and let's face it, we have been modding war3 for many years, almost everyone knows the models it hosts, so, creativity doesn't only derive from an innovative gameplay, it's also a matter of appearance.

I'm quite tired of these debates myself too, and the last time i changed the first post (and thus the contest rules) was when Pyritie asked me too.

I appended 'Mini' to this contest in the aspects of short play time, small terrain size, and small file size, because it wouldn't be nice to play a 5 minute game while waiting for people to download it for 15 minutes.

If you manage your imports correctly, or smartly, you can replace nearly everything in your map that you would need, however this isn't a total overhaul of the Warcraft 3 look contest.

Besides, since, as Raven0 said, 'mini' stands for a brief gameplay, without complex controls. And Wherewolftherewolf said that the game takes a relatively short amount of time to play, thus often meaning in a small area, or simple premise, etc. etc. You wouldn't need a ton of imports anyways.

I'm tired of this, and I hope that when/if this 'debate' is over another one doesn't spark up, I've been wanting to make a mini-game map for this contest since i first posted this idea.

• Maps must be made for this contest and can not be work done prior to the start date.
    OK
  • Maps may not violate any of the Hive Workshop's rules.
    OK
  • Contestants must post a WIP of their map before the deadline to prove it's their map.
    OK
  • You must post your map before the deadline expires, attached to a post.
    OK
  • Relatively Small File Size (2MB).
    Need better explanation (Hmmm, maybe you should limit resources to WE default only or just remove this)
  • Short to medium game time. Can be played in under an hour.
    BAD (Hmmm, why, maybe I want to add restart option so instead of re creating game we can restart score and start new game without leaving game, this can increase playing time to 1 or more hours)
  • Medium or small map size (ie: 128x128).
    BAD (You don't need this, maps can have huge size, who cares, we judge quality at the end)
  • Theme of the mini-game could be anything, but try to make it 'not another XYZ' game.
    BAD (You don't need this, another CnP map will get lower score in "Idea rating")
  • Multiplayer or Singleplayer.
    OK
  • Paired or Solo teams allowed.
    BAD (We have paired contests as well)
  • Judges can't participate in the contest.
    OK
Well that's my opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.