• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-game Mapping Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
3.png

161106-albums3679-picture41723.jpg

Minicraft
Contestants are tested on their abilities at making a fun, space effective game in Warcraft 3. It should be a unique idea, ie; not another Uther Party.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Maps must be made for this contest and can not be work done prior to the start date.
  • Maps may not violate any of the Hive Workshop's rules.
  • Contestants must post a WIP of their map before the deadline to prove it's their map.
  • You must post your map before the deadline expires, attached to a post.
  • Relatively Small File Size (2MB).
  • Short to medium game time. Can be played in under an hour. (Having a replay option can allow for longer game time).
  • Theme of the mini-game could be anything.
  • Multiplayer or Singleplayer.
  • Solo mapping contest
  • Judges can't participate in the contest.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• PM me if you want to be a judge.
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Concept
Does your map revolve around a central theme? does any story elements fit in place? example would be Mario in a Pacman level to denote a low score../25

Enjoyability
Is the map fun to be played through to the end? Does it pull you back to play it again?/35

Going Green
How well does your map make use of limited space, be it file size or terrain size./20

Playability
Overall fluidity of the map in game and on the transition between games. Is the map bug/lag free?/20

Aesthetics
How well does the map look and overall feel of the 'environment'?/20
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on X and conclude on 25 days later, 11:59 GMT

Last edited:
Level 13
Only use Blizzard's resources, or your own.

This one kinda leaves a unfair advantage if you don't have any modeling skills of your own I would THW resources be allowed or at least a link to the resource your using.

Level 37
how so? it means less terraining and doodads (unless you are going for Olympic cinematic doodads).

Terraining is easy. Just that if you have so less space to add all your things that makes it more challenging. The puzzle must be creative and you probably have to use the same space over and over again tactically.

I agree with both of you: L2love & Raven0. Just allow to use whatever models people want and if the map size of a mini-game is over 2 mb it's not a good thing and would take some points away.

I see the Light...

What i meant by that is to remove vJASS as that's easy to code in, take the training wheels off and write your own stuff. Models, Icons and other skins i wasn't thinking about when i wrote that, just JNGP and vJASS. The map size was a suggestion, and i now see your point with reusing the same space.

The map size 'limit' was for, if it's a mini-game it should be able to be downloaded and played without having to wait ten minutes for someone to get it. Also just an idea of what this contest would hold.

Level 17
So like Uther's Party? Sounds cool.
I'd get in on that.

Although, you should be able to either use vanilla resources or use any resource as long as you give credit.
Then I'd get in on that.

Level 23
Disallowing vJass for coders would only throw a spanner into the works. Without vjass it is more or less pointless of writing jass directly in the first place (apart from fixing some GUI functions leakage)

Allowing only the vanilla editor would be like becoming handicapped.

I will mirror it to that template (was looking for it) but had no interner for a week.

well, im no pro vjass as you may guess, it's basically like putting training wheels on code. But that's not my concern for this possible contest, my concern is for vjass giving a higher rating just for being in vjass (i've seen it done before). If we can use it and still have fair ratings i wouldn't have any issues with it being used.

Also, any other suggestions would be nice after i change the first post

EDIT: mirrored template for contests, hope you like.

Last edited:
Level 23
When it comes to a mapping contest, I have never seen anyone giving a higher rating due to the usage of GUI or Jass/vJass.

A map is a map, the content and the execution of the idea is more important than the code behind it. While driect jass or vJass 'could' indeed reduce ingame lag, GUI when done right should have no trouble doing so either. If you have a map which is laggy due to poor triggering, then it's because something is not done right. As long as you have the right ideas, and give it a proper polish, it should be alright.

Since it is a minimapping contest anyway, I would not think myself that there will be submissions being overcomplex in those terms.

true, but i mean if someone made a minigame map and posted it in the maps section, some give a bonus point to their rating (like .1/5) for being in vjass and -.1/5 for GUI, or i may be thinking spells, but i saw it and it annoyed the heck out of me.

Edit: Back on-topic; anything else need to be said about this contest?

Note that people's ratings who aren't mods have little relevance to the actual rating of the map, most mods only really trust the opinions of those who have been reliable in making judgments in the past.

Well if it's going to be a minigame contest, perhaps you should add more rules in there to make the theme more specific - atm it's pretty vague. If the theme is only making a map in a small area, then I'd think you'd want to go with the complete minimum map size (that is if you're going with a space of the map theme instead of a minigame theme).
Things you could add in:
-game is replayable without exiting that specific game instance
-point to win (basically you gotta win the minigame so many times to beat the others - I guess you could call this tournament style play or something)
-adjustable point and difficulty values/multiple levels of play
-score-board clearly showing standings at the end of the game

Wherewolftherewolf, thanks, going to make that category less spacific, it should be multiplayer so it can be played on Bnet. Teamwork or Solo is up to the map maker. Though you might like my going green line, gotta make this a 'fun' contest right?

Hungry Hungry Felhounds: Solo
Poke the Orgre: Solo-ish
Uther's Party: Team, all vs 'World'
Starcraft zone Control: Team vs Team

So there is no set rule on teamwork or teams.

Ah, so a paired mapping contest... Seems a little overkill for a mini-game map but i'm not against it. I'd prefer solo since i like working on my own time and things go wrong on my end when working with others across the net.

ragingspeedhorn; i see you've won several paired mapping contests and mini-game contests. I would fear for those going against you in this one. If enough people want paired i'll change to paired, but as it stands right now it will remain solo.

If it has to fit within 128 x 128 or smaller (note: mini)....
For what reason would you possibly even need to worry about going over the size limit?
Even with imported models, you'd have to a ton or a few overly high quality models for that to even be an issue.

And really, think about to yourself for a bit.
How can the judges possibly evaluate your coding if they can't open it in WE?

Very nice points, protecting a contest map isn't the smartest as it probably will hinder your score, protecting template/spells maps is priceless. I'd prefer it to be multiplayer but single player maps i guess are allowed to enter.

Wherewolftherewolf (why does your avatar keep changing?): music files take a ton of space up, and, say, a custom UI takes up space too... I know i'll add a custom UI if i can fit it.

music files take a ton of space up, and, say, a custom UI takes up space too... I know i'll add a custom UI if i can fit it.

A custom ui wouldn't take up excessive space, and music files take up much less space if you do it right (mp3 format, reduced bit rate, etc. etc.). It still seems a bit excessive to need to protect a mini-game to reduce file-size. I guess it's okay to leave the option open, but it's not exactly the smartest thing to do.

Level 27
well, time management is like those small minigames where you work as a chef/waitress/some other guy, so you have to do some different tasks and do everything on time. Like shall we say you are a waitress in a restautant, you have to take the orders from all of the people, then bring them to them, wash the tables, take out the trash, order up some more food supplies, collect the cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.