• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-game Mapping Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Minigame does not mean multiplayer. That just doesnt follow. You can create fun singleplayer minigames.
And the requirement of only using the vanilla editor was dropped, i think.

So what is the reason for not allowing RtC?

Because in my opinion, being able to use RtC allows you to implement a whole lot of new gameplay mechanics. Things that may not have been tried before, at least not in WC3 maps.

Level 27
Well since it's allowed to make singleplayer maps, I think it's not forbidden to use RtC. Altrough I would probably nuke Deaod's house for ating GUI, the bread and butter of programming illiterates, I still have to agree on him that it shouldn't be forbidden to use RtC if singlepalyer and JASS are not forbidden.
PLus I'll stick with singlplayer too (Tough GUI), maybe I'll make two player map, but I don't really care about it...

Level 11
This might be a stupid question, but can we make more than one map? Since they will be small, so it would probably be possible to make 2 maps within the time frame.
And if this was allowed, of course only the better one would be considered by the judges (so it wouldn't be possible to get both maps in the top 3)

This might be a stupid question, but can we make more than one map? Since they will be small, so it would probably be possible to make 2 maps within the time frame.
And if this was allowed, of course only the better one would be considered by the judges (so it wouldn't be possible to get both maps in the top 3)

You can't enter 2 entries but I guess there's nothing stopping you from making 2 maps

There is, currenty im too tired to find it. Tomorrow (for me) i'll edit this post.

There are not any good games that are single player on the Hive that are not RPG's, Campaigns, Cinematics, or Templates.

As wolfman said; Split your map into two halves so up to two players can play, but there's no difference to if only one plays as they each have their own 'map' side by side.

tleno; Are you trying to flame me? No one's forcing you to join this contest.

Last edited:
Level 27
Come on... make the singleplayer allowed! chances to get a multiplayer minigame map popular for WC3 after release of Starcraft 2 is futile, while WC3 is still way easier and functional for singleplayer maps and campaings...
And oh come on, that contest that was Hosted by Syleona was singleplayer-maps only, and it was a great contest with director's cut submissions!

So or you make it singleplayer, or you fail.

Level 11
I have a suggestion, how about if you want to make a single player map, just make your map twice as big, split it in two, and make one half for one player and the other half for another player. So technically more than one person would be able to play, but each player would still be able to play a "single-player" game just on their side of the map

There is, currenty im too tired to find it. Tomorrow (for me) i'll edit this post.

There are not any good games that are single player on the Hive that are not RPG's, Campaigns, Cinematics, or Templates.

As wolfman said; Split your map into two halves so up to two players can play, but there's no difference to if only one plays as they each have their own 'map' side by side.

tleno; Are you trying to flame me? No one's forcing you to join this contest.

You bother looking?

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/find-orb-144585/?prev=search=99%20levels&d=list&r=20

Of course there's more then this (just grabbed the last one I remember testing), but it is possible to create a worthwhile singleplayer minigame.

Actually, if there's a lack of them, why not try filling in said gap?

Also splitting the map into 2 sides is pointless extra work and a dent in the space if this is supposed to be a challenge to create a good map within a small area, if you're going to make it singleplayer and multiplayer just code it so it can work on the same field.

Level 27
Sorry if I insulted you or whatever, tough I was not trying to flame anyone.

Indeed, filling the lack would be the best. Plus most of minigames in the world are those flash games that you can play in web browser, and 90% of them are singleplayer, so I think multiplayer-only would be quite a bad limitation...

At least two players

Serously... I can make mympa multiplayer too, but this is an unneceseary limitation that will just decrase an amount of submissions and had ntohing to do with minigames!

Level 14
And forcing me to adapt my idea for multiple players will somehow make it better?
Besides, what kind of silly argument is this: There hasnt been a good singleplayer minigame (which, if highly recommended maps count as good maps, i can refute), so we should not try to make one.

Level 27
Yes, yes, plus the Heroes of Genesia is a great campaing, and it doesn't take longer than fiive-ten minutes to complete it, so it can be counted as single-player minigame!

And seriously, any contest won't be sucessful without lots of submissions, and lots of submissions won't be achieved without simple and wide theme. No singlepalyer, as I already stated, is an unnecesseary limitation that has nothing to do with the theme and it just ruins the contest.

Level 23
I agree on that singleplayer issue. It should be variable.

however what I would really appreciate is if the process of getting this into a final state could be fastened up a bit and this could actually come true.
Hell it's about time to get another mapping contest. So yeah!!

Level 23
Maybe you should increase the filesize limit a bit to 3mb or so than we can import more something like music.

I do think this is actually a fine idea, 3 mb is not that much more than 2mb that it would really matter in terms of downloading speed. But with 3 mb there would be way more room to import things and it would come in handy. Seeing the 8 mb battlenet limit this is still fitting with the minigame idea well in my opinion.

Level 28
I'd like to see this as a solo contest, most mapping ones are team-required. The last Solo was a bit of a fail (unless you want to prove me wrong), so this one could be the balancing power ;)

Why forcing contestants to team up? :s

Indeed. I think it's kinda, in lack of a better and more diplomatic word, "stupid" to team up when making a mini-game. At least when there's limited time and all. You don't really work with a mini-game like you work with any other big map project.

Very nice ideas.

Paired or Solo: that's a toss up, i don't want it to be paired, but if i say solo i get spammed with five people saying it *has* to be paired or at least an option to pair up.

The 2Mb limit is in place because it was half of what the map limit was back in the 'glory days' or Warcraft 3. Also when you play on a 10-50kbs connection speed 2mb takes a few minutes, or, 3.5 to .7 minutes. Also, for music just lower your bit rate as i took a song at a 64 bit rate down to 24 and it sounded the same, knocked off over 1 Mb too.

Icons take appx 6KB, models around 50, and a custom UI around 1.5-2Mb, which is where the kicker is.

Edit: These are based off my map's size, which is 2.5Mb, i have a few icons, models, custom UI, 2 minute song, loading screen (the big one, in four parts) and a custom 512x512 texture as a splat. A few skins to go with models or to replace other model skins.

PS: the music i use in my two maps is only 600Kb, with only half the bit rate. Use Audacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.