• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mind's Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
This terrain I did after looking through a book I got from my uncle for christmas, it is called "Reincarnation - A Metaphysic Travel through the Cosmos of Cognition" a book with both Poem's and art, all made by a Norwegian artist who goes under no other name than simply "Tolli." I admire his work, and in honor to him I made this terrain.

I hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• WIM.jpg
    WIM.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Looking great, and not only is that due to the fact that I'm a complete/absolute sucker for surrealism.
The execution is great quite frankly, the chessboard and the glow especially so.

It might be somewhat empty I persume, however that is also pretty much to my liking.
That latter is very subjective however, and I expect this will be heavily questioned.

well yeah abstract and all, but you did the style pretty good by having a kind of order and sense to it - the planet appears to be almost coming out of or being connect to the what's-it-called, the walls at the front provide that kind of boundary between the "dream world", let's call it, however after that it's not that really great and tasteful style, but rather a bunch of rather normal looking hills, except that they're obviously not actual real ones. the chessboard is a pretty average addition - it's not really majorly adding to anything, but its also not really out of place or anything, it provides a bit of a point of a focus. i'm guessing the two gearwheels have some place in the picture.
what i'd do is just had a more normal landscape and scene in general - if you have like a general backdrop of a rather normal place, with good terraining on it, and then stuff like you have there, it looks a hell of a lot more interesting and effective than just everything being abstract. really good abstract things will usually have a balance of the two, and often each element by itself makes complete sense. so, for example, if the chessboard had some more different figurines, maybe even just white/black blocks, that are set up in spots, it'd make sense by itself, but then you throw it in there and it's part of the whole abstract picture.
what bothers me the most is the rather unshaped terrain, it looks quite bad if you look at that part of it. that's why, as i said, i'd make that better and all, just to actually add to the abstract part.

Level 7
This is certainly modern art picture and usually i dont like those(cause normaly there aint any sense of logic in there), but i do like this one.

On these type of pictures, doodads selection is very important, cause without proper doodads the art terrain wont have its "magic" in it. Luckily
you have chosen most of doodads what fit this theme(IMO). Only doodad i dislike in this picture is the grammofon, cause i wont see the point of this doodad, but thats my opinion. Foging and lightning is also well done.

Overall very nice work. Keep it going!

Status
Not open for further replies.