• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metastasis

Metastasis
In a research sector of the United Security Initiative known only as 198X2, a group of scientists and station personnel are assaulted by an unknown threat. As their colleagues die one by one, they must fight to survive and figure out who is doing this to them, and how to stop it.

The Game
Metastasis is best described as a survival game. At the start, one or several players will be secretly selected as your opponents. You will be placed within a space station in the sector 198X2 and must figure out who is the enemy, and kill him before he kills you and your fellow humans.

Depending on the number of players in the game, there will be one or several enemies.
1-4 players: A lone enemy, who will either be a former researcher mutating rapidly into a cunning adversary, or an alien organism killing off station workers for unknown reasons.
5-9 players: Both the mutant and the alien work to kill your team as well as each other. Only one side can stand victorious.
10-12 players: The mutant and the alien are once again your adversaries, but rumors abound of a cold, metallic killer waiting to rise and annihilate every living thing in the sector.

Humans
To aid you in your fight, you have a myriad of station resources and your own education to assist you.
Being a research group in a theoretically dangerous sector, stations are equipped with state of the art military supplies, including many types of combat suits of varying abilities. You have been trained to use these suits, albeit only against the organisms on the local planet. No doubt you can adapt them to perform other, more murderous tasks. There is also an assortment of defensive and offensive weaponry, from stationary turrets and force shield generators to grenades and mighty fusion bombs.
You also carry your life experience and career with you. There are nine possible careers assigned to you at the beginning of the game, from researchers with various doctorates to a visiting captain of the battlecruiser Swagger to the lowly local janitor. Each career provides a unique benefit and alters your initial equipment and monetary income.

Enemies
The mutant and alien both have strong physical capabilities. Each is capable of overpowering an unequipped human easily. However, they are alone, and hate each other as much as they hate humans. The mutant and the alien both sport an ever changing genetic code- within the span of mere hours they can change their physical and mental makeup drastically. As the game goes on, each will slowly evolve into more powerful forms. Eliminating them early will prevent them from overpowering you with massive strength, dominant mental abilities, or swarms of minion-like organisms.

Infection
The mutant has the ability to evolve a infectious called a prion. By weakening the human body, the prion eventually forces a genetic change in the host, altering it to serve the original mutant and take its form.
The alien also has a similar parasitic microorganism it launches into humans, slowly weakening them and eventually eating them away. By doing so, the parasite grows into a facsimile of the original alien, while retaining traces of the infectee's personality, though twisted into serving the alien leader.

Stations
Featured in the sector are four space stations and a planet situated around a single star. Each station has unique capabilities and can be visited at any time by using one of several types of spaceships or escape pods. The largest station is the U.S.I. Queen Niffy, which boasts a large infrastructure and fleet of spaceships, as well as many curious research labs dedicated to the sector. Other stations include the Arbitress, an advanced sensors station, the Kyo Station, which is a container for the experimental Kyo Cannon spatial artillery platform, an old unused station now scheduled for demolition. These are all situated around the orbit of the local planet Minertha, a terraformed but as yet uncolonized planet. A small military station was set up some time ago, but no one currently occupies it.
A battlecruiser from the U.S.I. fleet is also currently visiting the sector.

Credits
An extensive list of credits for the artwork featured in the game can be found within the F9 menu of the game. Special thanks needs to be given to to Clan Sirs, Catar, DarkLink_Rper, EnragedBullfrog, OmeedESF, Mooglefrooglian, mrzwach, lorg, Aenir, Scruffymurphy, Jarkill, InfernoInfernal, and especially Kodua.

UPDATE (1.8.2):
-See changelog at http://thegoodsirs.net
I don't even anymore

Keywords:
parasite, who'sthealien, mystery, alien, mutant, space
Contents

Metastasis (Map)

Reviews
00:56, 30th Jul 2009 Linaze: Lacks a proper description.
Level 12
Holy, who are you? SHIT, THEY'RE GOING TO LYNCH THE LURKERS! I MUST ACT FOR YOUR JUSTICE! No idea on how to fix it. Ah yes, it would help if I knew your username. After all, I need to know which lurker we're not lynching.

Level 13
How constructive, idiot.

Ever heard of the word "genre?"

Yeah, man, you're a ripoff of the first human.

DotA is a ripoff of AoS.

WC3 is a ripoff of the first strategy game.

Symbiote is a ripoff of parasite, which is, of course, again a ripoff of the first "who's the killer" game.

Idiot.

Level 27
Midnighters, please stop flaming. Besides, this this is rip-off more of an a Parasite than of Symbiote becauce its in space, not on planet. Plus it looks liike there were no new updates of Sybiote lately, this is why Metastasis has taken over the stage! Oh, and it has more diferences from both Parasite and Symbiote.

Level 4
We do not deny in any way to be inspired by Parasite. I was formerly a shaman in DarkShoGun's clan, in fact. (DSGI, his first one, not wherever he is now) Never did get around to playing Symbiote though.

Regardless, this argument is quite silly. It is in fact a genre, and calling it a rip-off is really not doing anything constructive. Also, you gave no basis for your argument. If you're going to call foul, give your reasoning.

Also less trolling please.

Level 12
6 Different and new environments (Stations)

Alien, Mutant, and Android.

Tons and tons of suits and vendors, each one with at least two abilities.

Tons of variable evolutions for most non-human players. (Except Android, for now he only have 2 forms to choose from)

LOTS of random events never saw before.

Create chat group system.

It is VERY different from the other two ones.

Level 12
There is no mutant or android in symbiote. To begin with. And you do not use suits, you use WEAPONS. And they have no skills at all, or max one. And the difference between evolution systems is great too, since simb take it off str, agi, or int. There are not ANY random event. What COULD happen is that you trigger something, like blowing the caves for instance. Aside from that. And there is not the option to create chats group.

Level 2
Creativity 2 / 5 (the idea being that parasite)
serious war map 2 / 5 (sheppy sheep is a cheetah)
Event 4 / 5 (need more hards events)
balance between evolution alien 2 / 5 (energy is almost unstoppable)
suit balance 2 / 5 (some suits are very powerful and unfair)
tk control 1 / 5 (The Game tkers end so fast)
Secret Things Series 2 / 5 (sheep ship, the worm)
the game need improve lot, some things are perfect, 2 / 5 total
-Gonzalo444.

Last edited:
Level 5
This game is a makeshift copy of Parasite, with innovation in only a few departments that exceeded the parasite series. It has improved over parasite in some areas, and worsten in others, so not an overall improvement over it. How the alien/mutant evolves works primarily the same as it did in Parasite 1 and 2, and it uses that same ole suit system, nothing new really. The terrain is horrid, and some suits and items are lacking in innovation. I can see that alot of the ideas originated from parasite, tsk tsk on originality. I guess the space navigation is kind of cool, but the space combat itself is lame and doesn't offer anymore then what the Parasite series did in that regard. Overall, a decent yet lacking game with little originality, can get boring fast - 2/5.

Level 20
Gonzalo and Cronos,you seem to only notice bad things ingame...
Cronos: "with innovation in only a few departments" i lol'd at this,there's vast list new things comprared to parasite.
Also giving map 2/5 just because idea is already used is ridiculous.
Just if metastasis has same idea of map doesn't mean it's stolen,it's just type of map where you have to find out who's the alien/mutant.

Level 13
Aaaaahhhhh!

Guys, here's a wonderful new word you should learn to utilize: genre.

If this ripped off parasite, WC3 ripped off The Lord of the Rings because both contain orcs. Two games, films, books, you name it, within one and same genre can and will have similarities.

Bluntly put, if you think making something within a genre means you are an idea thief, you are an idiot.

Level 5
Gonzalo and Cronos,you seem to only notice bad things ingame...
Cronos: "with innovation in only a few departments" i lol'd at this,there's vast list new things comprared to parasite.
Also giving map 2/5 just because idea is already used is ridiculous.
Just if metastasis has same idea of map doesn't mean it's stolen,it's just type of map where you have to find out who's the alien/mutant.

I notice good and bad qualities, but I notice more bad than good so naturally the bad is talked about more. And I didn't say it was stolen, I said it is extremely similar, in other words not a whole lot of originality. The only innovation I can see that is above parasite is space, and all the different ships, and planets you can navigate through. The vast majority of it is similar, but that is only partly where the rating comes from. I give it a lower rating mostly because the game itself is lacking in terms of how fun it is.

Aaaaahhhhh!

Guys, here's a wonderful new word you should learn to utilize: genre.

If this ripped off parasite, WC3 ripped off The Lord of the Rings because both contain orcs. Two games, films, books, you name it, within one and same genre can and will have similarities.

Bluntly put, if you think making something within a genre means you are an idea thief, you are an idiot.

So you're saying that parasite is its own genre now? Because metastasis has only taken the ideas of parasite, carved them up, rearranged the pieces, and added a little bit more rather than doing that to the who's the killer/alien type genre itself. We can take games like phase killer, parasite, and dark deeds, and clearly see the big differences between the games despite them all being apart of a similar genre. I am not going to go overboard and say that it is a full fledged bootleg copy of the game, but anyone with reasonable intelligence can see that metastasis has been heavily inspired by parasite in many aspects of its game play. You still have aliens evolving in the same tech tree fashion as parasite, you still have "combat suits" being utilized as weapons, the item setup is roughly the same, the only truly innovating thing that really adds to the game is all the different space ships, planets, and how players interact with it all, but even that isn't saying much. If there was something really innovating about the game, then I would say so, but for me its just Parasite: Advance. Also dude, Warcraft 3 ripped off lord of the rings because it has orcs? That's a terrible example for trying to discredit me, get real.

You both would be so criticized if you posted that on the metastasis forums themselfs. wish Catar was here to pwn them.

Of coarse we would criticized, it is a forum supporting the game, SUPPORTING. LOL I mean what do you want?

wish Catar was here to pwn them.

He or she can try :p

Level 27
Creativity 2 / 5 (the idea being that parasite)
serious war map 2 / 5 (sheppy sheep is a cheetah)
Event 4 / 5 (need more hards events)
balance between evolution alien 2 / 5 (energy is almost unstoppable)
suit balance 2 / 5 (some suits are very powerful and unfair)
tk control 1 / 5 (The Game tkers end so fast)
Secret Things Series 2 / 5 (sheep ship, the worm)
the game need improve lot, some things are perfect, 2 / 5 total
-Gonzalo444.

This game is a makeshift copy of Parasite, with innovation in only a few departments that exceeded the parasite series. It has improved over parasite in some areas, and worsten in others, so not an overall improvement over it. How the alien/mutant evolves works primarily the same as it did in Parasite 1 and 2, and it uses that same ole suit system, nothing new really. The terrain is horrid, and some suits and items are lacking in innovation. I can see that alot of the ideas originated from parasite, tsk tsk on originality. I guess the space navigation is kind of cool, but the space combat itself is lame and doesn't offer anymore then what the Parasite series did in that regard. Overall, a decent yet lacking game with little originality, can get boring fast - 2/5.

You people are wrong... Firstly, Parasite is half-abandoned project now. Someone had to retake the position of the most popular whos the alien map... secondly, the terrain is better than Parsites actually, plus this one has more of an a replay value - this one has events and, well, its more fun to travel between space stations than to walk around some space station that looks more like a labirinth... Balance? Oh please, Metastasis is beeing constantly updated, Parasite was not updated for long, long time... Secret Items? Pft, those are not all you know, some are really hard to get... and only few know about that... and why do you think Sheepyship is inbalanced, huh?