• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
/startragethread

Now, this is an issue on the internet which has been pissing me off for months. Everything is being called a rip-off.

So, let me give you sn example of a (albeit funny and ironic :p) rip-off. We have the FML site. Then, a guy went along and made MLIA! Omg! A rip-off! He stole the idea, lynch him! FML and MLIA stand for "Fuck My Life" and "My Life Is Average" for those of you who wonder.

Now, an example of something that is NOT a rip-off. World of Warcraft is a MMORPG. THEREFORE, IT IS AUTOMATICALLY A RIP-OFF OF RUNESCAPE BECAUSE RUNESCAPE CAME FIRST! No. It isn't. There were plenty MMORPGs before WoW, but that does not make WoW a rip-off.

Another example: I am currently writing a story (geek lol!) which is heavily influenced by H.P Lovecraft's C'thulhu and its respective cult. Am I then creating a rip-off of the C'thulhu Mythos? No. It's an inspirational source, people. It is possible to use an idea someone else has used before you without automatically being a lame-ass thief.

Additionally and finally, if you want to get specific, pretty much everything that you can think of has been thought of before. That, of course, makes you an idea thief since you are stealing someone else's idea! Omg!

/endragethread

Level 27
Don't tell me you haven't noticed.

I even saw a guy say that Runescape's a rip-off of WoW in WoW's trade chat..

Idiot. There were first D&D MUDs which were first prototypes of modern MMORPGs, but since those things were made in far away times when there even were no Windows xp, nobody remeber them. Besides, the guy who said that about the WoW is a little kid who spent all of his life playing RS.

Status
Not open for further replies.