• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mercenaries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
New Hero Arena I'm working on.

About a month ago, I've decided to revive a very old project of mine (I've dropped it over three years ago). Since my old PC died, and everything on it was wiped, I had to start from scratch.

I didn't want to start up any threads or try to recruit anyone for the project until I was 100% sure that I'll be able to come through with it. Since I've spent the past four weeks in my mom's basement, living off stale pizza and working on the map 24/7, I think it's safe to assume that I'll finish it this time.

Anyway, to quit stalling, here it is:

scaled.php

About the map:
Mercenaries is a 5v5 128x128 arena-styled map focused on both PvE(Player versus Environment) and PvP(Player versus Player). The goal is to defeat the opposing faction while you lead one out of a number of available mercenary Heroes.

Various game modes will determine the victory conditions of the game, although the default victory condition is most likely to be killing the other team's final boss.

Levels and gold can be obtained by killing various creeps scattered around the map.

Hero and item selection will greatly affect the gameplay (more on that later).
Heroes
The main focus of the map. So far, there's 29 Heroes to choose from, and there will probably be twice as much in the first release. I've done everything I could to make every Hero as unique as possible, meaning that we're not talking about 30 units with different versions of Storm Bolt slapped on them, we're talking about 30 completely different and unique classes, support Heroes, damage-dealers, tanks, summoners, hybrids, and so on, and so forth.

Here's a bunch of screenshots of different Heroes and some of their abilities: (note that the map is still a work in progress, and that some spells have yet to be added, the terrain is being worked on, but so far, all implemented spells work flawlessly.)

The Hero selection tavern at the beginning of the game with Agility Heroes.
scaled.php

scaled.php

Cheat death will trick enemy players into thinking that they've successfully killed you while you make your escape, while Decoy will create a mirror image that explodes and damages enemy units if it is attacked.

scaled.php

The Crusader uses a Seal system, similar to the one that Paladins used in Vanilla WoW. The player can activate one out of a number of different seals, each granting him different bonuses, and each having a different effect on enemy units when released. Only one seal can be active at a time, and it will be lost upon release.

scaled.php

scaled.php

The spell Dim Vision, which heavily cripples the enemy teams' line of sight and isolates them from seeing their allies. This allows the Dark Ranger to use her ranged attack without being targeted by the enemy.
scaled.php

Dim Vision in action. The arrow is coming from a Dark Ranger that's hidden by the fog.
scaled.php

The High Priest is an incredibly powerful supporter that can switch to a damage-dealer with his ultimate, Shift:

scaled.php

Regular form:
scaled.php

Shadowform:
scaled.php

Since there's plenty of support Heroes, some of which have incredibly powerful healing spells in the game, I've created a Hero whose main purpose is to serve as a complete counter to enemy supporters. His ultimate, Shear, will completely nullify all regeneration and healing effects for a set amount of time.
scaled.php

scaled.php
Spells and Abilities
As you could probably see from the screenshots, I've done everything I could to make the map as interesting as possible and implemented custom spells in the map - Critical Strike aside, I don't think that there's a single spell made solely in the Object Editor.

Each spell is in perfect synergy with the rest of them - for instance, the High Priests' first spell is a heal that regenerates health based on the max life of the target, and the second spell temporarily increases the targets' max life amount.

Slayer's Charge
scaled.php

Blinker's Disrupt
scaled.php

Keeper of The Grove's Wrath

scaled.php
Bosses

There will be seven bosses in the game: three Horde and three Alliance Bosses, and Deathwing, which is located at the top of the mountain at the center of the map.

Under default victory conditions, you will need to slay the opposing teams' final boss to win the game. The first two provide the last boss with powerful damage and health increasing buffs - you can go for the final boss first, but killing the first two will make your fight much easier. Time is a factor, because you'd want the boss dead while the enemy team is dead or away.

Deathwing is a Neutral Hostile owned boss which drops several very helpful items, Deathwing's Claw, for instance, an item which is required to form one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

scaled.php

A Huntress and a Naga Champion fighting Deathwing:

scaled.php
Items
There are two main types of items: "Regular" items, which include weapons, armor, potions, summoning scrolls and combat items like charged snares, explosives and so on, and so forth, and PvP items. Regular items can be purchased with gold, while PvP items can be purchased for PvP points - every time you kill an enemy Hero, you gain one.

Unlike regular items, PvP items cannot be combined into more powerful ones (recipe system), and don't provide much status bonuses to the Hero - instead, each of them allows the Hero to use a different ability, like Blink, or Wind Walk.
Game Systems and Events
Some of the stuff I think is worth mentioning:

Traveling merchants, which will roam the map and never actually be at the location you last saw them. They won't sell powerful items or important item reagents because that would be a huge imbalance - instead, they'll sell miscellanous stuff like Orb of Deception - an item that allows your Hero to turn into a random critter and walk by enemies undetected.

Runes, which are randomly generated at certain areas and provide both temporary and permanent boosts to the Hero which picks them up.

The Ghost System, which spawns a ghost when you die, and you can either walk to your Hero's corpse to revive for free, or pay gold to the Spirit Healer to resurrect instantly at your base.

scaled.php

Scripted Boss Fights - nothing too flashy, but will still require some additional effort and make team play a necessity.

AI-controlled pets - this one is already implemented. Not all of them will be AI controlled. The Huntress, for instance, can control her pet, but the Shadow Assassin's Shadow Master will do everything automatically.

scaled.php

Item recipes and stackable charges - pretty self-explanatory.
That's it for now, I'll add more info later.

IDEAS (ESPECIALLY HERO IDEAS), SUGGESTIONS, CRITICISM, ARE NOT ONLY WELCOME - THEY'RE VERY, VERY APPRECIATED.

I'm also recruiting - I need two more people to work with me on the project, both must know the basics of GUI/MUI/JASS:

- Items (creating items and item abilities, both with triggers and the object editor, must be creative and original.)

- Triggering (leak checking, leaderboards and minor game systems)

If you're interested, drop me a PM, and I'll let you know on all the details.

Last edited:
Level 12
You should only bump threads if no one posted in it within 48 hours or 2 days. But you could edit your second post and change it into "Reserved" because you might need the space for your map thread.

Oh, alright. Noted. Thanks.

I don't see why I'd need to reserve a post though.

Level 12
Just change it to "Reserved" or delete it. So that you won't get warned or anything.

Anyways, ontopic:

The terrain, and the systems look good. I'll be looking forward to this. From what I've seen, it's a must-try map for me if you release it. Good luck with the map.

Okay, I'll remove it.

Thanks. I've worked really on the spells. The terrains are okay, I guess, but there's a lot left to do on that part. I'm not even halfway there :/

Level 19
Hmm, I saw your heroes.
I think you would need a hero that:
1. Is like the "eyes" of the team, due to an ability being able to see all units, even invisible or not.
2. A Chaser/Ganker hybrid.
3. A Hero which destroys warriors. He reverts their attacks.
4. Good at Buff manipulation.
5. The generic and favored dpser.

High Priest might be imbalanced with his Shift. You might do something like:
A spell heals 100 hp. Shift makes it decreases the damage by 20%.

Level 12
Yuh, I already have several pure-DPS Heroes, I just didn't post any screenshots of them. Gankers too. I love the idea of an anti-warrior though. It's going to be fun coming up with ideas for that one.

As for the High Priest, I don't know. I've done my best to make him as fragile as possible. The problem is, he's a powerful support Hero, and there would be no point in even using Shift if his shadow spells are weak. So I've tried to compensate for the good spells by making him inferior to everyone else in terms of attack and movement speed, hit points, mana, etc.

Dunno though, you could be right. I'm going to run the map a few times with a couple of my friends tomorrow - and see how balanced the heroes are.

Status
Not open for further replies.