• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Boss Attack! (It's actually good this time! I promise!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
A while back I posted my map "Boss Attack" here, and a while back I looked back on it as "definitely not my best work". I didn't want to abandon the map, but it was beyond help. Now, I've remade it, and nothing's the same but the title and the object; Boss Attack is a game where eight players fight their way through eleven unique boss encounters, and this time, you actually have to stay awake to play it. A complete early version is attached to this post; I may add or remove bosses as I see fit later on, and I'm also more than open to any suggestions you have.

SKILLS
Boss Attack has eight Heroes. Each one has two or three "skill books" that consist of 4 to 7 levels, as well as an extra 3 level ability that permanently increases movement speed/agility/mana regeneration depending on the Hero. All Heroes start at the maximum level: 10. This means they can not learn all of their abilities, and must choose carefully; Tomes of Retraining are cheap, allowing Heroes to change as necessary for coming encounters. One boss might call for a Priest to heal, and another might require him to learn Shadow spells to cast mana burns. Or it may just be up to personal preference, or for the benefit of the team. There is no lack of hero progression; plenty is done through items. And just because there's eight players doesn't mean there has to be one of each class. Experiment with different combinations and try to balance classes out; see what's necessary and what isn't.

ITEMS
The system in which Heroes recieve items is very simple at the moment. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can improve it, let me know. After each boss fight, players will return to the hub and receive one (With apologies to World of Warcraft.) Badge of Justice, as well as 300 gold. The gold can be spent on materials for recipes, which simply add minor improvements to their base item, and should be used when you can't carry any more items. Heroes can carry only one item of each type at a time: Hand, Boots, Chest, and Weapon. Some items grant Spell Power as well; using these will improve the damage of most offensive spells as well as the effectiveness of heals and some mana restoring abilities. The effectiveness of some of the Warrior and Shaman's abilities is based on Agility, and there are plenty of items that grant this too. Life, Armor, Agility, Spell Damage, Mana Regeneration, Damage, Attack Speed; everything is available in these items for you to further customize your hero.

BOSSES
I still have some work to do on balancing(issues with the difficulty curve may occur at boss 5 and above), but each boss requires a different strategy, and each boss is(I think >_>) fairly difficult. One thing I try to avoid is "false difficulty", i.e putting Spell Immunity on everything; I actually try to use it as little as possible. And at the risk of sounding corny, knowing is half the battle. The Quests menu contains helpful information about each boss. If anything, read it and you can't go wrong; you might realize that you need mana draining abilities to wear down the boss's shield, or that summoned units take damage from Dispels.

Once again, the map is attached. Screenshots and more information will probably be added to this post sometime when it isn't 4 in the morning, so keep an eye out. And if you find a bug or think something's wrong, just tell me; it's a big help.

Attachments

• Boss Attack 1.2.1.w3x
    631.5 KB · Views: 91
Level 19
Your Firelord boss is almost the same as my Firelord boss. Exactly the same attacks, sounds, and the way killing it. Even the Item you shall put into a obilisk is the same. (But on your boss you only need to put an egg into ONE Obelisk, not three as mine)

You must have recopied my boss into another BAD version.

Status
Not open for further replies.