• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mercenaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Huh, Why?

It is not completed yet.

And it contains almost no dialogues.

I will allow you after I finished the map ;P

Probably you should also translate the "Campaign" version of mercenaries soon to chinese. xD

Because it's really fun and good,so i want to translate it as soon as possible.

Why am i so hurry?
The most Chinese won't play a English map with you except your friends,but not they don't want to,is can't(knows english not much to understand description).

Nice,i will translate Campaign also or i already think so.xD

Level 16
Because it's really fun and good,so i want to translate it as soon as possible.

Why am i so hurry?
The most Chinese won't play a English map with you except your friends,but not they don't want to,is can't(knows english not much to understand description).

Nice,i will translate Campaign also or i already think so.xD

I-I-Its fun..?

:O

Thanks a lot!

:grin:

I will definitely finish this map ASAP!

Level 16
Would you when you get back try make an AI for this game?

Surely, if someone could teach me how to make those without using periodic checks.

I currently have no Idea on how its going to be done, without adding more periodic checks which causes more heavier processing each interval. (I know, I am terrible :thumbs_down:)

While periodic checks are reliable, checking conditions each Milli-seconds increases unnecessary processing, and if the intervals are too big, it would not be as responsive. I currently use AIs only for game-changing objects, which needed AIs, not every zombie units has AI attached to it.

Kitabatake (The creator of Blades and Gore project) seems to have a great knowledge about AIs, but I doubt he would be sharing any tips on how its worked out. (I have asked multiple times myself of his secret recipes ;P.)

Level 16
Mercenaries 1.3e Uploaded!

Link :
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=uiu9jq

Changelog :

-4 new Buildings (With their collisions included this time :p)

-Collision fixed

-Stable Game-play

-Reduced Massing range (lag range!, now it takes twice more zombies to lag).

-Improved Item descriptions (Given a more decent description and template).

-Rebalanced Items. (Bullet charm are given new abilities, and herbs no longer give mana)
++Bullet charm now gives 25 health when the wearer takes "Lethal" damage!. (When your hp will reach 0.)
++Bullet charm is now 15% chance to block 40 damage! (From 30). (The reason it is 30 is, there is no walker/runner that deals more than 29 damage, but bigger zombies does a lot more,
So bullet charm blocks 100% damage from walkers, but after this change to 40, bullet charm also blocks damage from ghouls (Ghouls does 39 damage)
++I felt that bullet charm is not worth the slot, every items in this game are designed to be either "Disposable", or worth the "Slot".
++There are no items that isn't worth it, so its fun getting them!
++There will be less grieving from peoples that get "Unlucky" items, because no items are "Unlucky" here!.

-Improved terrain tiles (Now they are given broken tiles inside buildings)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be made :

-Electric pole Collisions (They are not added yet, I am still planning on the village's shape)

-Versus mode (All planned!, just need someone to test with me)

-Mining Industry doodads (My modeler went MIA).

-Slopes, Hills, Etc! (Yes, there are no sand hills yet, this will be made soon ofc.)

-Adding a Resident Evil Licker kind of skin to the Ghouls. (I am thinking to use this http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/licker-blp-241560/?prev=search=licker&d=list&r=20)

Nobody cares but oh well, :p

New version uploaded~!

It is now almost Final version.
And I can start working on the campaigns.

Last edited:
Level 16
Level 16
Change-log.

Mercenaries v1.3g (Skipped version F, due to experimentation on versus mode).

Change log :

- Game play
++ There are now less spawns to give opportunity to escape/clear the area. (Barely less spawns).
++ Now Pre-loading is more intensively done. (Less first-time lag hurray!).
++ Now Pre-loads unit deaths (No more first time unit kill lags).
++ Now Pre-loads Item get. (No more first time item pick lags).
++ Supply box no longer drops "Battle Flag" Item, as it sometimes does not reward the user as it is supposed to. :goblin_boom:
++ Added flashlight and battery to supply box (Now supply box drops 8 Fixed Items (From 6), and 3 random items.)
++ Players now have Trap Detection (Traps within 600 range can be seen, this is for versus purposes, and other future needs.)
++ Buffed shotgun base damage (This is not the multiple hit multiplier.)
++ Nerf-ed burn damage (It was doing way too much damage o.o.)
++ Changed from Bribe's damage engine into looking_for_help's damage engine (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/physical-damage-detection-gui-v1-0-0-2-a-231846/)
++ Intelligence replaced with battery. (Naming change)
++ Every 1 Battery increase energy pool by 1
++ New Item : Liquid Battery. (Restores energy by 2)
++ Dark is now a projectile (Can miss)
++ Dark now immobilizes enemy when hit.
++ Dark can now critically strike.
++ Dark now deals 200 damage each.
++ Hassan-i Sabbah's Cloak now increases melee damage for 3 seconds when used. (dissapears after 1 use.)

- Visual updates!
++ Ghouls are given new skins!
++ Game descriptions are now more visually explained.

- Bug Fixes
++ Finally finds the source of De-syncs (Thunder Claps! Stupid Blizzard..! Baka Baka Baka..! :ogre_rage:)
++ Now you can properly play around the worm without De-sync! :ogre_haosis:
++ Molotov/Grenade's remnant fires now properly does damage (It lacks a damage source before, so it deals no damage at all..)
++ Bug fixes on re-initialization, on where Walker Mines are not removed. (I hope it works, untested)
++ Bug fixes on re-initialization performance (On where a nested loop is wrongly placed) (Technical)
++ Given spell books on Grabbed units (Previously when you are grabbed, you will get an empty command card if your spell book is open.)
++ Fixed leader board error (I forgot to add +1 to the loop, resulting the title to change into health bars.)
++ Copters using "Custom Value" for no reason. (Removed custom values usage, this is probably a typo/I simply are too sleepy at that time o.o).
++ Fixed song repeater trigger to be turned on in the wrong loop (I don't even know how it ends up there, but fixed anyways!)
++ Fixed Level value variable to be set to 0 in the wrong IF (...)
++ Supply timer now restarts from 0 on each round (Forgot to initialize.)
++ Fixed a fatal bug on Massing system, that does not revert masses movement speed back to its original values.
++ Fixed a lot of Zombie's Grab bugs. (The triggers are Impressively wrong..! WTH Geki..?)
++ Fixed Hopper-Mine Targeting Algorithms.

- Added Dialog boxes for game mode selection.
++ Added Survival and Versus mode.
++ Whoever presses escape first will be the leader! (Gets to choose game mode.)

- Versus Mode

++ The leader gets to choose its teaming (Either 2v2, 1v1, or FFA).
++ The leader gets to choose his partner (If 2v2).
++ There are less zombie spawns.
++ Zombies no longer drops items.
++ Within 15 minutes, the team with the most score wins..!
++ Killing a rival mercenaries does not eliminate them, but rather they will be re-spawned after 10 seconds.
++ Killing a rival drops their equipments.
++ You can select from the few jobs when you spawned (They only differ in equipments (Assassin, Scout, Sniper, Medic, and Infantry)
++ You deals only 30% damage to rival mercenaries. (50% for melee attacks).
++ Players are given "Hide" ability, when they stop moving for 5 seconds, they are automatically camouflaged. (Idea Scrapped)
++ Supply crates spawns every 3 minutes on position which are told 2 minutes prior to both team. (The only source of ammunition available on this mode, except re-spawning.)
++ Starts with 3 clips instead of 5. (Survival mode clip starts with 5).
++ If an enemy dies, and you have dealt an amount of damage to them, you get a 1000 score bounty, and counts as your kills. (Unimplemented yet.)
++ Assist is determined by who deals more damage to the target. (Assist gives 1/3 of the score to your assisting friend.). (Unimplemented yet.)
++ Combo score bonus does not work on enemy kills, but killing an enemy gains you additional combo time. (Grants you 14 seconds timer windows instead of 7).
++ Only gigantic zombies drops 2 items.
++ You get 1/4 of the original score from normal enemies.

Classes
++Survivor
++Flashlight
++Fragmentation Grenade
++Green Herb
++Signal Flare
++Adrenaline Shot
++Empty

++Assassin
++Red Herb
++Walker Mine
++Cloak of Hassan-i Sabba-h
++Combat Knife
++Adrenaline Shot
++Dark

++Scout
++Green Herb
++Silencer
++Nitrogen Grenade
++Imbalanced Boots
++Adrenaline Shot
++Bullet Charm

++Sniper
++Flashlight
++Red Herb
++Scope Attachment
++Molotov
++Adrenaline Shot
++Long Barrel

++Medic
++Flashlight
++GR Herb
++Green Herb
++Signal Flare
++Adrenaline Shot
++Silencer

++Infantry
++Flashlight
++GG Herb
++Fragmentation Grenade
++Long Barrel
++Adrenaline Shot
++Bullet Charm

That's all~!

Released

Probably the release with the most changes, versus mode released.
It is barely tested, so I assume there will be many bugs.
please help the map by reporting bugs at the thread!

If you have any replays, please do send me ;)

Especially on the versus mode.

Feedbacks are warmly welcomed..!
:grin:

Last edited:
Level 16
Awesome, I played this a little and it's fun. Think this might be even more interesting with arrow key movement and fps camera also could you make the player invisible to enemies when he gets behind a wall? It would be alot more tactical than just having zombies come at you and would feel more like a fps shooter. I think we should start making a fps shooter from scratch together, bet we can make something awesome that nobody witness in wc3 before. (yeah I know the camera systems are a drag in wc3) Good luck and keep improving!

Did you make it all yourself? Who made the terrain?

Level 16
Did you make it all yourself? Who made the terrain?

yep, I did the terrains myself.

I wish I could just use 1 whole doodad for 1 building though.
(The terrains drops so much of the FPS :ogre_frown:)
(Its because the many combination of doodads is friggin taking so much render process.)

You will notice when you play with more than 1 players, that
enemies will only follow targets which makes the most "Sound".
(They will practically ignore anyone who blends with the zombies!)
Such as Shotguns, or the trumpet item.

You won't be chased if you run away without making much noises or make more corpses.
(They will always go to the newest corpse, or chase you if you make "Noises").
When they seem to be chasing you, they are actually just "Going to the newest corpse".

So you can actually hide behind buildings if you aren't making too much noises.

I will release some debug functions here.
In case you just want to see how the terrain works in-game.

type
-debug

to start the debug mode.

commands :
-a (Infinite Ammo (Ammo will not drop below 10, so you can still reload))
-nd (No damage for your player.)
-ncd (No cooldown)
-nospawn (No zombie spawns)
-s (Test shadow)
-s2 (Test shadow2)
-se (Test enemy hero spawn)
-ams (Active movement system visibility)

Enemy hero spawn is to test if multiplayer stuff works or not. (You can shoot it down and etc.)

Awesome, I played this a little and it's fun. Think this might be even more interesting with arrow key movement and fps camera also could you make the player invisible to enemies when he gets behind a wall? It would be alot more tactical than just having zombies come at you and would feel more like a fps shooter. I think we should start making a fps shooter from scratch together, bet we can make something awesome that nobody witness in wc3 before. (yeah I know the camera systems are a drag in wc3) Good luck and keep improving!

WASD movement is kinda impossible in wc3 engine. (Since there is no WASD event.) (But I will be doing this if I were to make this in some other engine.)
And for an FPS game.., its kind of hard, since there is no "Mouse detection" in wc3.

Unless we were to make a 3rd party program for it ;)

But if you really want to make an FPS shooter,
I would love to do it in another engine!,

Sure, lets do it Toby~!,
but I still prefer to complete Etherium first though :x (We could just freeze the Etherium project, and move to the FPS project if you like :D)

Last edited:
Level 16
Yeah I figured, was just imagining.

Making the whole level out of one model is achievable, quite something I do with my shadow maps. It's also a lot easier on the performance. You might not actually make it from one model because of a stupid vertex limit per model but it would work just as fine split in a 3-4 large models.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
Guys come on I am all in the fps thing just make it for warcraft it does not need woth an fps camera just make it more like a city in the game gta v whitch is awesome with a 3rd person camera. Come on guys imagine making a warcraft map that is like gta v traveling through citiies is traveling through maps come on guy it is possible what you say?

Level 16
Guys come on I am all in the fps thing just make it for warcraft it does not need woth an fps camera just make it more like a city in the game gta v whitch is awesome with a 3rd person camera. Come on guys imagine making a warcraft map that is like gta v traveling through citiies is traveling through maps come on guy it is possible what you say?

Its possible, but I prefer not to do one in Warcraft.

1. Map size is limited. 512x512 I guess? (It wouldn't be as big as gta)
2. File size is limited to 8 mb. (Or else, it wouldn't be multiplayer.)
3. Warcraft III is dying (No players).
4. Big maps = Big time terraining it.
5. It is harder to do physics in Warcraft (Will take a lot of processing.)
6. It is really complex to do model collisions in Warcraft III (Its possible).
7. It takes 10x more time to do it in Warcraft III, rather than in other game engines.
8. Map that big will require big model variations to make it less similar, so that must take a really dedicated model maker.

Level 16
It's very possible indeed but I wouldn't imagine making anything to complicated. At most a simple test level. Even if the file size limit is 8 mb you can actually squeeze something decent but limited in variation with realy shity textures. You can take a really good example from Talavaj's model packs which is excellent in optimization and saving space however if you'd want something truly awesome you'll have to go over the 8mb limit as I tasted in my cinematic project which is also the reason I don't make multiplayer maps.
Actualy the physics problem has some small hope, you can mask the ugliness of wc3 limitation with self animated models (prebaked physics) which run on basic functions similar to the fake shadow maps like Talavaj is doing. And honestly for all the stuff he's doing he could use a actual team. Probably with one more modeler and 2 more team members aside from me and Gekigengar we could actually pull something serious off. Unfortunately as much as we tried improving this old game it creates more problems thus giving us a hard time so all those fake techniques are somewhat for show.
Conclusion: I don't think I'll start making something as serious as a fps with wc3 because it's too limited but I do think It would look fun with cool graphics only at a test level. Maybe if we had time and really wanted to do something we could do it but I don't think you'l get something as epic as GTA.
----------------------------------------------
It takes 10x more time to do it in Warcraft III, rather than in other game engines.
I can confirm to that! It only took me 2 weeks to discover how to fake advanced lighting which was a miracle it actually worked in it self, process which is easily available with no sweat in any game engine of today.

Level 16
Next version release will be public release..! (Hopefully.) (Mercenaries v0.9 Public)

But I probably would try another shot for the Hosted Project Section first.

There are hero spawn bugs that I encountered.
And There is an error in Versus mode's copter spawn.

Since I haven't heard of any bugs in the thread itself.
So I am assuming they are no other bugs.

Level 2
Hi,Nice to see you Released The New version.
It's Still in Beta?
Could i translate it now!?
-----------------------------------DEL
Okay,i will wait for The Public Version.

Level 16
Lol! And I joined the discouragement in making a fps, Unfortunately it's true!

Have you presented the new terrain version or is it a secret?

:goblin_jawdrop:
That was.. Supposed to be a secret :thumbs_down:

Well..!

Now that its out of the Jars now,

A warm welcome, and an imaginary thunderous applause for my newest member of the team..!

for from this day onwards,

Toby and I will officially be cooperating in this project's creation..!

Toby will be recreating the entire terrain, into a few chunks of doodads as a whole. (Which means, lesser processing, & more performance hurray..!)

While it is still experimental,
Here are a few alpha screenshot of the terrains..! (I hope you don't mind me showing unfinished glories of yours Toby.)

210613-albums7012-picture77648.jpg

210613-albums7012-picture77649.jpg

210613-albums7012-picture77650.jpg

210613-albums7012-picture77651.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.