1. Are you planning to upload your awesome tool to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 9, 2018: The rules for the Tool Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Seek unity between the elements in the 22nd Terraining Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Seize the moment! The 18th Mini Mapping Contest has commenced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Gather 'round - the 20th Icon Contest Poll is out.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The mighty have fallen. The 17th Mini Mapping Contest Results are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Tester

Submitted by Aniki
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Melee Tester

Introduction

Melee Tester (MT) is a Warcraft 3 map that allows one to quickly explore most aspects of the default gameplay (melee) of the game. Using a simple UI one can create different builds. For each build one can select and customize their heroes, units and upgrades.
Questions like

- What's the minimum/maximum armor possible for a hero/unit in a melee game?
- Which race's dispel ability can remove negative buffs but keep positive ones?
- What happens to the Demon Hunter's splash damage while using Metamorphosis and equipping an Orb of Fire?
- Do immolation/cloak of flames stack with lightning shield?
- Is the initial/secondary damage of Shadow Strike reduced by Runned Bracers?
- Is it better to attack units with low/high amount of armor with the Pitlord's Cleave Attack?
- Can the Warden dodge an ensnare from a wolf rider using blink after it has been thrown?
should be easy to answer.

Using the UI

The UI is organized around 3 tabs

• Description

The Builds Tab is split into 3 views: Heroes view, Units view and Upgrades view.

• Description

In the Heroes View one can select up to 3 heroes by clicking (using the LMB) on the 3 buttons on the left side of the screen. After one of these buttons is pressed, a grid of hero icons appears. Information about a hero can be read on the right side of the screen by hovering with the mouse over the hero's icon.
      After a hero is selected, their level can be changed by clicking and dragging the mouse cursor in the 'Level:' field. The hero's stats are displayed bellow the 'Level: ' field. The hero's ability levels can be changed by clicking on the + and - buttons next to the ability. There are 6 buttons that represent the hero's inventory. Clicking on one of these buttons opens a grid of items. Information about an item can be read by hovering over the item's icon. Clicking on an item adds it to the hero's inventory. Items in the inventory can also be selected. While and item is selected it can be removed by pressing the 'Delete' keyboard key. Switching between heroes can be done by clicking on their icon or by pressing the F1, F2 or F3 keyboard keys.

Screenshots

• [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]

• Description

The Units View is split in 2 parts. The bottom part has a grid of unit icons. Information about a unit can be read by hovering over the unit's icon. Clicking on a unit's icon add it to the top part. The number of units to create is displayed in the lower right corner of an icon. This number can be changed by selecting a unit (in the top part) and entering the new number's digits (A number that is < 10, can be entered by first pressing 0 then the digit of the number). In the text field one can type the words: 'human', 'orc', 'undead', 'nightelf' and 'neutral' (or a combination of them separated by spaces) to filter the units that are shown in the bottom part.

Screenshots

• [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]

• Description

In the Upgrades View one can select the upgrades for the units. Information about an upgrade can be read by hovering over the upgrade's icon. Clicking on an upgrade's icon with the LMB increases the research level of the upgrade by 1, clicking with the RMB decreases it by 1. The buttons above the upgrade icons set the levels of all upgrades to 0, 1, 2 or 3.

Screenshots

• [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]

Hovering over the build's name at the top of the screen displays a few statistics for that build. The 'List' button, when clicked, opens the list of builds of the player. A new build can be added by clicking on the + button. A build can be removed by first selecting it and then clicking on the - button. There needs to be at least 1 build present. The 'Spawn' button, when clicked, spawns the heroes and units for all players from their selected build. A player can view/modify another player's builds by clicking on the colored buttons under the 'Spawn' button.

Screenshots

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

• Description

In the Tiles tab one can select the tile and variation that they want to see on the terrain. The tile's type can changed by clicking and dragging the mouse cursor in the 'tile:' field. The tile's variation can changed by clicking and dragging the mouse cursor in the 'variation:' field.

Screenshots

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

• Description

In the Misc tab one can change miscellaneous settings. The 'Time of Day' setting sets the in-game time of day. The 'Enable Unit Control' setting toggles the ability of the player to control the computer's units.

Screenshots

• [​IMG]

Changelog

1.0 - release
release

Contents

Melee Tester (Map)

Reviews
eejin
Useful for quickly testing melee scenarios without the use of an editor. There are some small issues such as the 3D grass clipping through the UI when you choose the grass tileset or the Tab buttons having their clickable area at the bottom.
  1. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    you should change the tag to misc/ other, because this is not a melee map,

melee map is a map that you would play.

2. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, technically it is not a melee map. However, it is something that might be interesting for anyone who cares about melee maps/melee wc3. I'll think about it and maybe contact some other reviewers about it.

3. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    With that logic , melee tutorials could be uploaded in the map section. even incomplete maps to show how to do maps (distances, creeps selection, loot design, that stuff), also this is not the first time I saw this kind of submition in the melee section.

4. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I personally think this is better suited for General Mapping Tutorials.

5. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So I've now gotten around to test it, and I really like the idea. I'm not sure I've understood everything yet however, so I'll have to do some further testing.

6. eejin

eejin

Tool Moderator

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    I launched the map and it seems like some of the UI is hidden. I've tried both 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions. upload_2020-5-11_13-47-40.png
    This is my whole screen. Setting it to Awaiting Update.

7. Aniki

Aniki

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There are some shortcut keys for zooming in/out the camera: 'ctrl+"+"' and 'ctrl+"-"'.

8. eejin

eejin

Tool Moderator

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Useful for quickly testing melee scenarios without the use of an editor.

There are some small issues such as the 3D grass clipping through the UI when you choose the grass tileset or the Tab buttons having their clickable area at the bottom.