• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mdx protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I'm just some guy, every opinion matters, and already after my comment last time I got a DM from someone who wanted that model protector technology that I was theorizing about. So I spent an afternoon doing a proof of concept in spite of myself and created an MDX file that wont open in Magos War3ModelEditor, nor Mdlvis, nor Retera Model Studio, but it does open in Warcraft III and in the webGL mdx-m3-viewer for viewing models.
Generally the technique is not specific to the model and could be applied to any MDX.

So, the other possible option would be if we veer hard in the other direction and try to make degenerate MDX files that break most editor software. Maybe you could do an automated corruption of this kind and apply it to every model in Hive database except for the ones tagged "open source" so that people don't do model editing anymore. This way Hive model download section can be seen as more professional since we corrupted all the data.

Edit: The next important thing for us to do if we take this approach is to embrace censorship. Basically, we should amend site rules to ban anyone who discusses how the MDX protector technology that I drafted works. Maybe something like if anybody asks what's going on and why the newly uploaded models on the Hive wont open outside Warcraft 3 anymore, then we shun/warn the person asking, but if anybody explains what's going on and how to work around it then we probably give them severe warning/suspension/ban from the site disciplinary system.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
I don't understand the idea behind preventing models to be editable. If one happens to find a model that is perfect for his map, but for whatever reason, he wants the model to have one arm or any other variation let's say, why mustn't he edit it? It is no one's business as to why someone wants a model/skin or whatever modified for his own interests. So why is there the desire for such a thing? Just to prevent nasty people from claiming it as their own? But then again, honest people can just report that behavior and state who's the owner of it, possibly linking to a trusted site, like this one.

Last edited:
@Wrda it is exactly the same as map protection, we corrupt the file so that no one can open/edit it to make it more professional and safe. But if we get it amended to site rules that you're not allowed to talk about it then the good news is I won't have to discuss the idea with you whether you understand it or not, since that won't be allowed :D

Edit: But seriously how can you be in favor of allowing people to have their models stolen? You are probably someone who never made a Warcraft 3 model that was actually popular, otherwise you would know there are people who just take your model without your permission and change the texture file and put it into their map without giving credit. :p

Last edited:
Level 15
@Wrda it is exactly the same as map protection, we corrupt the file so that no one can open/edit it to make it more professional and safe. But if we get it amended to site rules that you're not allowed to talk about it then the good news is I won't have to discuss the idea with you whether you understand it or not, since that won't be allowed :D

Edit: But seriously how can you be in favor of allowing people to have their models stolen? You are probably someone who never made a Warcraft 3 model that was actually popular, otherwise you would know there are people who just take your model without your permission and change the texture file and put it into their map without giving credit. :p
Not gonna lie, took me a couple passes to realize that this was all witty sarcasm for the purpose of making a point about discussing map protection/deprotection. I think I've gotten too used to reddit's use of /s ha ha ha.

Level 4
The idea is awesome however such actions would discourage people from learning how models work or making small tweaks to benefit their project.

If an author of a map project doesn't want to credit someone, restricting file editing is not going to sway them one way or another.

If you want to compare it to the map, then that is too different because map projects are created for people to play and shared models with the sole purpose of someone else using it for their project.

While many don't care for file size, model optimization is something I apply to almost every model I use and such optimization could include a lot of useless things that model had (like animations) that I need deleted in a map project where every KB counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.