• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maw of Oblivion

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is the Maw of Oblivion, created for Heaven's Fall back in the golden years of modding for me, when I loved every second of everything I was making and was still young enough to get away with spending all that time making it.

The model features a creature based on the Forgotten One, but with a purple skin texture overlay based on the Volcano's lava, as well as Forgotten One Tentacles that root into and out of the ground to form an alternate animation set where the Maw of Oblivion has retracted into his void portal.

Please do give credit to me on this one, but obviously as with almost all of my Warcraft 3 modeling work it is a derivative work of Blizzard Entertainment's original models, and so I believe you should be free to edit it without asking me -- just as I created these models without expressly asking Blizzard. Just please do give credit.

[Edit: The Hive's viewer cannot render it correctly, the portal and animated texture look different in-game.]
Contents

BTNOblivionsMaw (Icon)

BTNOblivionsMawAttackTentacle (Icon)

BTNOblivionsMawRoot (Icon)

BTNOblivionsMawUproot (Icon)

BTNPurpleEyeTentacle (Icon)

BTNSpawnEyeTentacle (Icon)

EyeTentacle (Model)

Maw of Oblivion (Model)

Melee Tentacle (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
A clever edit of the Forgotten model. Nothing to fancy different about it though.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
For some reason, the Maw model doesn't show up either in the editor or ingame.

EDIT:
Neither of the models work. Tried loading all .blps, tried with only one, separately, tried with none but still, the models are invisible ingame and green squares in the editor.

Last edited:
I have a personal beef with the design of the Hive's model bundles. They strip texture paths from the ZIP but do not strip them from the MDX itself. This is an unfortunate design, it means that to use models like this one from Heavens Fall you need to use MDX Pather to be in control of your texture paths.

If you don't know what that means, read a tutorial on how MDX works because Hive requires you to know in order to use the content that I uploaded instead of providing it in the most easy to use form.

Mdx Pather

Level 7
Models don't work at all. I tried to edit the texture paths with the help of MDX Pather, but this doesn't help - they aren't visible in the game and in the editor they are displayed as green cubes.

Adding the tentacles and reverse death animation to this model in Notepad in 2009 felt like the culmination of my life's work at the time.

But I will agree, making this model now in the Retera Model Studio would probably take 30 minutes instead of 10 hours or whatever.

Funny how times change