1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Matriarch

Submitted by Uncle Fester
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
After the success of my Crypt Guard model, i decided to make another exotic unit, an undead caster, unlike anything the Hive had so far. At first, i used the Armies of Exigo's Matriarch unit as my concept, but during the course of its creation, it started differing more and more in some way from the concept. Instead of making many tentacles on the back and a Naga Siren like body, i made a load of tentacles instead of legs or a robe. I also intended to make it a unit at first, but then i found the Lich's anims be more suitable, so i also changed my mind in this point and made it a hero.

About the hero:
The Matriarchs are the princesses and highborns of the Doom Elves. Formerly, these were a tribe of Elves, a mix of Shadow and Highelves which later fall into the dark side, merged and hybridized with undead, Void, fallen and other eerie creatures. After this, they became the Doom Elves, the Elves that are doomed for what they did and became. Now they're an evil and revengive race, full of atroscious but skilled warriors and vile casters.
The Matriarchs are very cunning spellcaster, masters in the schools and techniques of Necromancy, Dark, Frost and Lightning witchcraft. They can rise skeletons and ghouls from all kinds of corpses, hit multiple enemies with chained or forked lightnings, immobilize enemies with frost spells, persuade enemy soldiers into changing the sides and also shade the sunlight or even cast an eclipse. During the eclipse, holy and light spells are reduced by one fourth of their effectiveness, enemy units have only half the site range than before and every enemy's damage is greatly reduced. Their Eclipse and other Dark Magic spells however have a serious drawback: they're completely ineffctive against Undead, Fallen and other Doom Elves. In the battle field, the Matriarchs can take on many tasks, from rising dead to assist their own troops, up to weakening every single enemy. Most enemy soldiers tremble at the sight of a Matriarch, some also turn pale when they only hear the word "Matriarch". These casters are extremely much feared!

Feel free to use this model in any imaginable way (incl. editing if desired). I hope you like it. Have fun with it! :wink:

EDIT 1: made the arms, especially the lower arm parts a bit shorter, scaled the skeleton according to the arms' proportion change and made the tentacles appear tealt-bluish, like the Banshee Ranger body parts. :wink:

EDIT 2: fixed a bit the bodies proportion and attached the eyes in the portrait to a proper bone. IMO, additional changes in proportions are unnecessary, as it's an undead-monster hybrid creature and there is no direct template which it should resemble all to much. :wink:

Keywords:
matriarch, undead, fallen, Armies of Exigo, sorceress, which, caster, evil, corrupt, shadow, darkness
Contents

Matriarch (Model)

Matriarch (Model)

Reviews
18:00, 3rd Jun 2014 MiniMage: Work on the proportions.
  1. 18:00, 3rd Jun 2014
    MiniMage: Work on the proportions.

2. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The proportions look a little off.

3. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd say, gimme more 'faceless feel' and less lich .u. make her feel more terrifying

4. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yep.
    exactly my thoughts.
    Nevertheless, it looks interesting:)

5. Forsaken

Forsaken

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I totaly agree with Misha!
    The model is really good and brings a nice feeling! :)

Good work!

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    hmm.. wonder if tentacles could be longer and barbed.. and maybe if one of her arms could be disfigured, morphed and barbed.. some global anims moving the tentacles independently could be cool as well (as i did on my nightmare weaver) complimenting the anims

7. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The proportions need a bit of improvement and u could tint the tentacles to the skin color via geoset animations.

8. Homor

Homor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I could see some uses for this.

9. Lord_Marrowgrath

Lord_Marrowgrath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    She looks like my girlfriend. 5/5 +rep

10. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    O oh 0_o LOL I guess jokes never die:)
    Make it spit lava!!!(I'm joking)

11. DaHomieG

DaHomieG

Resources:
    Resources:
    You should make the tentacles match her skin color. Also the arms and torso are pretty stiff.

Other than that, it's an amazing idea. 4/5 for now and +rep

12. Engkanto

Engkanto

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i once did a newbie Azshara (naga) model like this but i was noob back then (still a noob tho). Anywayss i like the idea but i dont like the proportions, unless they're supposed to be like that. i think it's useful somehow. 3/5, i'm giving room for improvemrnt

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  13. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I know, the hands are quite long, but IMO it fits in some way to an undead monstrosity that has tentacles instead of legs.

Eh? :eekani: Except the anims and the one body part i don't see all too much lich style in her....i'd even say she has more BansheeRanger than Lich stuff. :wink:

ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

thx a lot :ogre_haosis:

I don't want to make her too much like a kraken or jellyfish.....as said, my concept was the Matriarch from Armies of Exigo, and not the faceless ones. The matriarch in this game has tentacles too, mainly on her back though, but they don't move that much. I don't want to make the tentacles move too much as she isn't a faceless or octopus creature, but an own category. :wink:

well, i guess the hands should be made somewhat shorter, after so many demands about the proportions. :wink: Yeah, that's a good idea, IMO. :thumbs_up:

I'm glad to hear that. :grin:

Rly?? :vw_wtf: Jk, jk. :wink: thx a lot :ogre_hurrhurr:

why lava and not villagers? :wink:

thx a lot :ogre_hurrhurr: yeah, i think that tentacle issue should be done. :wink:

as above: the hands will be made somewhat shorter :wink:. Ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

14. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    This is pretty cool. Very creative. If there was one thing I could say, it's that the textures don't really fit that well together. But that's the price of using ingame textures.

Also, the wrap on her back is a bit messed up.

Other than that, good work :)

15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yes, the wrap could be improved and as Misha said the tentacles better animated(and make them a lil' longer if you deem that good).
    Here's a better one: shoot ogres with burning clubs:wink:

16. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well you got good points uncle .u. i just have this feeling that she needs something else changed.. not too sure what that would be atm :xxd:

17. Ujimasa Hojo

Ujimasa Hojo

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Cool. Maybe you could also make an Azshara model based on this.

18. sunshinex3

sunshinex3

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    looks good to me, adds some more like her. make some with out tentacles too.

19. TheWhiteWolf

TheWhiteWolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Do you maybe want to make a Faceless version of this? Similar model, purple in color, but with more tentacle movement and more disfigured?