• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I've seen so many projects started already and people working hard already.

I heard something 'bout they will wipe maps on release? I mean, you have to start over or something?

DO NOT come with stupid answers, i just want a clear answer, because then i wanna start now :D

Level 10
I've seen so many projects started already and people working hard already.

I heard something 'bout they will wipe maps on release? I mean, you have to start over or something?

DO NOT come with stupid answers, i just want a clear answer, because then i wanna start now :D

You mean clear out all of the star2 folders?

Just make a copy of your map on another part of your drive.

Level 3
You mean clear out all of the star2 folders?

Just make a copy of your map on another part of your drive.

If they did clear maps, they would probably find a way to make old maps incompatible with the release version anyways.

But I'm pretty sure this won't happen; I remember reading an interview with Blizz (I think it was with Dustin Browder) saying that the reason they released the map editor during the beta was so that when the game is released, there will already be custom maps made, and ready to be played.

[Can anyone confirm that this was an interview with Blizzard? I'm almost sure it was, but I don't have a source]

Level 3
Perhaps they just mean they will wipe maps attributed to your battle.net account (once they get it up and running) to which you could just upload the map again.

I don't really think they have the right (or reason) to enter your pc and delete files like some kind of virus... I think it's just like how they restarted the beta to simulate a launch experience... they probably just want to start the release with a clean slate including their hosting servers.

Level 5
Perhaps they just mean they will wipe maps attributed to your battle.net account (once they get it up and running) to which you could just upload the map again.

I don't really think they have the right (or reason) to enter your pc and delete files like some kind of virus... I think it's just like how they restarted the beta to simulate a launch experience... they probably just want to start the release with a clean slate including their hosting servers.

According to that little disclaimer on the editor, Blizzard owns all the intellectual property you design in the editor for wc3. Not sure if the disclaimer on sc2 says it too... It would certainly be interesting, considering they're going to have an ability to make maps sellable.

Level 11
I'm pretty sure they do, I think one of them said somewhere that part of the map-selling process was so that they could cash in on intellectual property created with their tools/engine. Probably because things like DotA and tower defenses were so immensely popular in WC3 that other people started creating clones of them and selling them for money, ie HoN.

Level 3
According to that little disclaimer on the editor, Blizzard owns all the intellectual property you design in the editor for wc3. Not sure if the disclaimer on sc2 says it too... It would certainly be interesting, considering they're going to have an ability to make maps sellable.

Yeah but owning the intellectual property I'd imagine pertains to a user selling it (so that they can't), or that they can't use a modified editor to design their own games and perhaps even retaining the right to use whatever you design in their own developments without copyright infringement.... but that doesn't mean they can enter your computer and do as they please, it just means you can't go commercial with anything you create... at least that's my take on it.

Besides, to allow people to create user content and then go into their computers to delete it would be a horrible PR mess and although I'm no expert on law I'd assume people would find ways to sue them over it... it just doesn't make sense. Clearing their own database does, and by saying they are going to wipe it sounds more like a warning to keep your work backed up and not get all huffy when it is cleared.

Level 9
Why the hell would they ever wipe all of our hard work... That would be completely counter productive to their progress in making this game more popular. Custom games are what will keep SC2 alive, hurting the custom map development process would be retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.