• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Map keeps heartbreakingly imploding, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've been War 3 map editing for a good while. I'm not an expert like you guys are, but I know the common bugs and errors.

I know to make back up copies of everything I do. After every save that works, I make a back up copy. You never know when your map might implode.

But lately, the map keeps imploding regularly, and I have no idea why.

The map preview all comes out OK. The map, itself, loads and starts OK. But within a few seconds, it all goes to hell. My units start skipping around. Spawning units skip around. When I try to exit Warcraft 3, the game crashes and often crashes my computer with it.

This has been happening consistently. I have whittled down to what seems to cause it: adding anything to the triggers. If I add any new trigger, the map just deteriorates and units begin to skip around.

Is there a trigger limit?

I don't think I have that many triggers. DOTA has more triggers than my map, apparently.

My map is 256 x 256. But not all the terrain is put in. Half the map is still blank.

The first time I was adding the triggers, it all worked. Then the map imploded without me doing anything to it (units not being able to move correctly, skipping around, etc.)

I didn't find anything in the archives about this issue.

I have re-installed Warcraft 3 and NewGen.

At least, I hope for some sort of idea of why the map keeps imploding. Has any of you encountered the problem of loading up your map but the units keep stopping on you and then skip around only to result in a bizarre crash?

Level 5
So angry I had to get away a few days.

I thank you for the kind offer Apocalypse for looking at the map. I might send it to you, but not just yet. You know how it goes when making a map. You have models and objects all over the place. The inside looks like a mess to anyone but the map maker.

There are triggers that are created periodically (for units spawning). However, they have never given any trouble. They are also leakless as I am deleting the points in the locations. And they have been in there since the beginning of the map.

There are some spells that use the periodic timer but those are all turned off. They only turn on when the spell is cast. (Many of the spells are approved ones from the Hive. They were said to be leakless as well.)

I don't understand why you guys think the problem is a leak or a loop.

The problem occurs five seconds within the start of the map. There isn't time for anything to leak or loop. Those triggers haven't even fired yet.

Also, I've isolated it that the problem occurs only occurs when I add something to the triggers. So it is definitely trigger related.

It appears to be any trigger added creates the problem now.

I actually DELETED triggers and added the ones I wanted. And the map worked until I kept adding more triggers and then the problem emerged again.

I believe I am hitting the trigger limit to the game.

Does anyone know what the trigger limit to Warcraft 3 is?

What is said about the loop is interesting. The problem is that five seconds when the map begins, all the units on the map stop walking correctly. They keep "stopping" and you cannot move them anywhere. Some even *skip* around as if massive lag. When you try to exit, the game tends to crash. Sometimes, it will crash my computer as well.

If it is a loop, how can a loop suddenly become a problem when an unrelated trigger is added? The triggers I were adding when this problem began was the "If ability cast is X" type event.

Thank you all for your help!

Level 28
An infinite loop doesn't take any time for the game to crash.
It has an event which fires an action, which then again fires the same event.
It could easily be activated within 5 seconds and suddenly crash the game, no doubt about that.

An example is:
Event: Unit enters playable map area
Action: Create 1 unit for player at location.

But perhaps that isn't the problem...

You say you have added the triggers and kept adding them, do you remember which trigger you have added so that suddenly the game crashed?

The trigger limit is very high (in GUI lower than in JASS, due to the loads of BJ's, but it is still really high).

Do you have a trigger with a lot of loops (for each integer A/B-loops, not the variable ones), since those loops stress the game (but only when you have a lot of those in the same trigger, or activated at the same moment).

I can only guess what could be the problem :s

Level 15
I've been War 3 map editing for a good while. I'm not an expert like you guys are, but I know the common bugs and errors.

I know to make back up copies of everything I do. After every save that works, I make a back up copy. You never know when your map might implode.

But lately, the map keeps imploding regularly, and I have no idea why.

The map preview all comes out OK. The map, itself, loads and starts OK. But within a few seconds, it all goes to hell. My units start skipping around. Spawning units skip around. When I try to exit Warcraft 3, the game crashes and often crashes my computer with it.

This has been happening consistently. I have whittled down to what seems to cause it: adding anything to the triggers. If I add any new trigger, the map just deteriorates and units begin to skip around.

Is there a trigger limit?

I don't think I have that many triggers. DOTA has more triggers than my map, apparently.

My map is 256 x 256. But not all the terrain is put in. Half the map is still blank.

The first time I was adding the triggers, it all worked. Then the map imploded without me doing anything to it (units not being able to move correctly, skipping around, etc.)

I didn't find anything in the archives about this issue.

I have re-installed Warcraft 3 and NewGen.

At least, I hope for some sort of idea of why the map keeps imploding. Has any of you encountered the problem of loading up your map but the units keep stopping on you and then skip around only to result in a bizarre crash?

I'm not really sure about this,but i had a similar problem lately.Whenever i play-tested my map weird things happened.I just re-installed wc3(including wc3 editor) and it worked pretty fine after this...
*Don't forget to keep your maps,if you re-install.

Level 11
Mr.Cheese, you need to check the version of Wc3, that you had while making your map, and your current version of Wc3, that you have right now and try to run the map with it. If you have an older version, then the map won't run.

I strongly recommend that you upload the map by attaching it to your post. Then I'll try to run it and see if it works alright.

I once experienced a weird problem as well: I made a map where you can see from first person, walk, jump, and there's a hand to the right which is animated by triggers. Unfortunately, the map worked only on very good computers that had Widows Vista installed on them, and it crashed right after loading on weak/powerless computers and those that don't have Vista installed on them. The leak in my map could be seen by memory use increasing by 44 kilobytes each second, and by 225 kilobytes when looking around (rotating the camera). That's very little, comparing to the initial use of memory - 146 000 kilobytes.

So the problem might be in your computer, or the OS (ex. Windows XP) that is installed on it.

Just attach the map to your post, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.