• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Solved] Mana Burn Floating Text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I'm making a custom ability that can only target enemy units with mana. I'm using Mana Burn with 0 damage as a base ability, and triggering the effect. The ability works as it should, but the blue floating text always appears on the target.

By the way I can't use Mind Rot as a base ability because it will dispel the buff of another Mind Rot-based custom ability.

So, is there any way to remove the floating text, or does anyone have any alternative solutions?

Level 21
It's hardcoded, so as far as I know, there's no way to remove it.
I know I can remove the floating text from Wind Walk if I set the Targets Allowed to 'Self', so I thought maybe there's a way to remove it from Mana Burn.
Trigger it.
Well, as I said, the ability is triggered, but if I use another base ability I'll be able to cast it on all units without getting the "Must target a unit with mana" message.
lightning effect
I don't need any lightning effects.
spell is basically instant.
Yes, I want it to be instant.

Level 37
I know I can remove the floating text from Wind Walk if I set the Targets Allowed to 'Self',
I didn't even know that :p

if I use another base ability I'll be able to cast it on all units without getting the "Must target a unit with mana" message.
If you aren't picky, you can just simulate the error message.

Level 21
Now I feel silly for even posting this, since I quickly found the solution. I ended up basing the ability on Mind Rot and since I said I'm also using another Mind Rot-based ability and I didn't want their buffs to collide, I decided to base the other ability on Acid Bomb and trigger the mana drain effect.
If you aren't picky, you can just simulate the error message.
I know, but I can only make the message appear when the ability is cast; I can't prevent the unit from casting it on units that don't have mana.

Level 37
I can't prevent the unit from casting it on units that don't have mana.
Of course you can. You have to use the "Unit Issued order" event. If the (Target unit of issued order) has no base mana, then:

• Set CastingUnit = (Triggering unit)
  • Unit - Pause CastingUnit
  • Unit - Order CastingUnit to Stop
  • Unit - Unpause CastingUnit
I do it all the time and it works flawlessly. The only issue is that it wont be exactly like how Blizzard does it.

Level 21
Of course you can. You have to use the "Unit Issued order" event. If the (Target unit of issued order) has no base mana, then:

• Set CastingUnit = (Triggering unit)
  • Unit - Pause CastingUnit
  • Unit - Order CastingUnit to Stop
  • Unit - Unpause CastingUnit
I do it all the time and it works flawlessly. The only issue is that it wont be exactly like how Blizzard does it.
Thanks for the info; I'll keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.