• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Malicious Redirects - change your password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
how do you know if staff is still your staff?

they could have all already been replaced!

isn't there some kind of test we can run?

shadowfury has been acting a bit weird, but that was before the attack....

how do we know you are who you say you are?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
By knowing your 1982 horror / SF movies classics? :xxd:

If you are *not* a kid, then you may search for:
The Thing (6/10) Movie CLIP - Tainted Blood Sample (1982) HD

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Are there any instructions for Windows XP users? VeljkoM seems unable to browse hive at all in his computer now even unlogged ever since this incident.
There are many easy-to-find tutos on that topic.
First, did he try to flush his local DNS cache (by typing at the command prompt ipconfig /flushdns) ?
(and dammit, why can we not send direct private e-mail to fellow Hive members anymore?) :confused:2

Not gonna bother to change my password.
I doubt someone is interested in my account.
May I have it please so I can express my darker self, by spreading wanton havoc here using you name? :xxd:
Joking aside, I myself changed mine. Safety first.

Level 14
There are many easy-to-find tutos on that topic.
First, did he try to flush his local DNS cache (by typing at the command prompt ipconfig /flushdns) ?
(and dammit, why can we not send direct private e-mail to fellow Hive members anymore?)
That didn't work for him either, and he's unable to even log in with Google now, so if someone wants to help him, you can contact him through skype, his username is veljko.m.91

Level 15
Right now, when I clicked the sixth page of approved icons, my Firefox closed and a process called *something*.tmp started installing random stuff and starting processes on my computer. It installed a new search engine called "hohosearch", but it didn't get to install anything else, although the processes for installing that other stuff started too, since I immediately ended the mother trojan process and the installing processes in the task manager. This happened to me once before too since these malicious things had started happening on this site.

Level 15
Yeah, I've heard of a number of people moving away from FreeDNS lately, I no longer recommend using them either.

Glad you got it resolved quickly, DNS changes are always a pain because of how long it can take to propagate.

For those unsure of what Ralle means when he talks about DNS, a very rudimentary way of thinking of DNS is to think of a massive phone book that contains references to which domain is linked to which server IP address. As Ralle said, if anyone can mess around with that, they can do a lot of damage.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Those curious may want to have a look at DNS Benchmark.
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Forget about DNS Name servers' performance, it is not worth the trouble imho.
However, the Conclusions tab might provide interesting (and possibly scary) information.

There are different kinds of DNS Name servers. Some are supposedly better fit for specific uses. A program like ChrisPC DNS Switch (freeware/nagware) categorizes them as 'regular', 'secure', 'family safe', and 'anonymous'. I make no endorsement on the validity of such assumptions, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.