• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tutorial: Setting up a DDNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Wikipedia said:
Dynamic DNS is a system which allows the domain name data held in a name server to be updated in real time. The most common use for this is in allowing an Internet domain name to be assigned to a computer with a varying (dynamic) IP address. This makes it possible for other sites on the Internet to establish connections to the machine without needing to track the IP address themselves. A common use is for running server software on a computer that has a dynamic IP address, as is the case with many consumer Internet service providers.

Basically, this allows you to set up a computer, router or modem so that each time it's external IP address (the one the Internet sees, as opposed to your local network or intranet) changes, it tells a Domain Name Server (DNS) to change the IP a specified domain is pointing to.

For instance, at one of my houses I have set up a DDNS so that if you go to http://shados.dyndns.org/ it will point you to the IP of my modem there.

This is useful to you if your ISP dynamically assigns your IP address, as it allows you to have one address you can be found at rather than having to tell people (or a DNS server) the new IP each time it changes, which would be extremely aggravating when running a server of some type.

Setting up a DDNS:
1. Find out if your router can auto-update a DDNS:
Open up your favourite web browser (unless your favourite browser is IE, in which case download Opera or Firefox and open up that instead) and enter your router's IP address into the address bar. You can find this on Windows by pressing Win Key + R, typing in "cmd" (without the "s, of course), and then typing in "ipconfig". The IP listed next to "Default Gateway" is the one you want. Alternatively, "home.gateway" may work in place of your router's IP.

Your router will likely require a username and password; the default ones can usually be found in the manual or by contacting the manufacturer. Often they have "admin" or "Admin" as the username and something like "admin", "password" or even a blank password for the password field.

Once you are in your router's configuration page, you'll need to try and find the DDNS section. Often it is listed under headings like "Misc.", "Advanced" or the like. On my own router it is under "Configuration -> Advanced -> Dynamic DNS".

The DDNS page should look something like this:
attachment.php

2. Making a dyndns.org account and adding a hostname:
Goto http://dyndns.org/ and make an account there.

Once you're registered and activated, log into your account and go to the "My Services" tab. From there, choose "Add Hostname". Set your options as follows:

Hostname: whateveryoulike.choose.one
Wildcard: Tick the box
Service Type: Host with IP address
IP Address: Click "Use auto detected IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx."
Mail Routing: Don't tick.

Then click "Create Host". If all goes well, continue on.

3. Configuring your router to update the dynamic DNS' records if your IP changes.
Go back to your router's DDNS page and fill in the information as follows:

Dynamic DNS: Enable
Dynamic DNS Server: www.dyndns.org (or .com, or any other dyndns server, I believe)
Wildcard: Enable
Domain Name: The hostname you set up earlier
Username: Your dyndns.org username.
Password: Your dyndns.org password.
Period: 12 hours (Most ISPs lease addresses for at least a day, so this should be fine in most cases)

If there are more or less options, either try to figure them out on your own or post here.

4. Test if it works
Open up a console/terminal (on Windows by pressing Win Key + R and typing in "cmd") and type "ping yourhostname". If you get a response and if it's pinging your IP, all should be well. Check back after your currently assigned IP has changed (wait a week or two if you don't know) and make sure it's pointing to your new IP.

Note: Domain names can take a little while to propagate throughout the internet, so your hostname may not work immediately; if so, check back the next day. If it still doesn't work, something is probably wrong.

Attachments

• DDNS-Router1.png
    DDNS-Router1.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.