1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Malfurion's Quest

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Turnro, Mar 12, 2014.

1. kakuzu

kakuzu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nice news Turnro !

2. ccpp

ccpp

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great news, can't wait for it Turnro :)

3. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    My my, I can hardly believe this, I'm gonna enjoy this campaign so much!

4. Letgoit2

Letgoit2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Turnro... Turnro TO Be real honest. i really like you and i really appreciate your hard work trying to give a us a cool campaigne mixed with a lot of cool stuff :goblin_good_job::goblin_yeah::goblin_boom: anyway i wish good luck with this campaigne and i will enjoy it thats for sure!

BTW for chaptor 5 (Sentinel) you planned a bonus map, will there be a bonus map for Highborne too? (no need same chaptor but for something else, you dont need to add a map if you dont want to) AND finally I like that you gave Mepphistroph a part in this campaigne since hes out of story when Arthas arrived in Quel Thalas. Will there be a demon side play to ? :ogre_hurrhurr:

Puh lot of writing but anyway :goblin_good_job:^^

5. Turnro

Turnro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I guess only time will tell ;)

ATTENTION ALL!!!

I have currently been reviewing the tech-tree for the Highborne. At the moment, it lacks buildings that are unique, due to the scarcity of night elven buildings. In addition, the buildings for the Highborne are too similar to the Humans/High Elves.

One idea that has been suggested is to replace some of the buildings with Corrupted Ancients, giving the Highborne a more evil feel while being played. However, before I go ahead with this idea, I would like to know your feedback.

Attached to this post is a test map comparing the two tech-tree paths for the Highborne. Simply download and test the map through Warcraft 3.

EDIT: Map is no longer available, as the feedback I have received is adequate enough for testing purposes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will do right now Turnro :)

Edit:
    Just tested them and here's my thoughts on the matter.

1. The middle base(current plan?):
    Pros:
    ~Has that royal charm
    ~Fits the highborne description
    ~Focused on 'arcane' and architecture build. (Example I love the arcane golem idea)
    Cons:
    ~Game-wise, these building simply don't look good used together. It's missing a certain theme. Unless the buildings 'fit' together, they really will reduce campaign quality.

2. The south-east base(prospered plan):
    Pros:
    ~Fits the corruption theme, stays true to the nighelven feel to it
    ~Buildings work great together! This is very important.
    Cons:
    ~In comparison to the above build, these look rather nature-ish, thus diminishing the arcane feeling to the highborne.
    ~I don't like the treant lumber gatherers.

Final word:
    Lore wise, logic wise - I'd chose the first base. Because I feel as if the highborne need to be fairly distinctive from the night elves, considering night elves come after the conclusion of the war itself. Therefore the focus on arcane is a nice touch. But the problem is, currently these buildings don't fit together at all. The citadel is extremely different from the rest(It has blue crystals, while the Mana Forge has purple ones), the Arcane Shrine doesn't belong with the rest of the buildings, the Aviary totally feels misplaced, etc. In my opinion lose the drenai buildings completely.
    I really like the idea, though currently the execution is very poor. Perhaps if you could find certain buildings of the same theme, or even ask someone to make a few for you that'd be great.
    On the other hand, the bottom base, feels rather cozy, though not grasping the idea of what highborne represent. It feels rather satyric and demonic in nature, while highborne are not far from that, it really doesn't look charming at all.

Other than that, if I find better ones, that I think will fit the picture. I might link them! :)
    Oh and good luck, really looking forward to the gameplay!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  7. Booker

Booker

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think you can use both types of bases during the campaign. At the first few chapters, the highborne's buildings are still human-buildings like as the base in the middle of the map. But later as highborne grows more powerful, their evil magic taints the ancient trees and corrupts them and then the highborne buildings are becoming more night elves like just like the base you have at the southeast corner of the map. That's just my suggestion. Hope that will help.

8. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually this thought did cross my mind as well!, Maybe in maps where we control Malfurion only, there should be corrupted ancients and treants. Whereas the maps where we control that other mage as well, use the center build.

9. Turnro

Turnro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Your review sums up the two tech-trees quite nicely :)

It seems that the best thing to do would be to look for more arcane-like buildings, preferably those that fit a certain theme.

Indeed it does. You have just given me some gameplay ideas ;)

10. Windrunner29

Windrunner29

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Why you don't use HO's highbornes buildings ?
    Anyways I love your campaign :)

11. Turnro

Turnro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Do you mean Ujimasa Hojo? His buildings seem to have a naga-theme associated with them, which doesn't suit the arcane-theme I am after.

12. Windrunner29

Windrunner29

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Perhas he could modify them if you ask him ?

13. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    That'd work great actually, since I also agree that they do seem a tad too nagaish :)

14. Forsaken

Forsaken

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    If was to modify some building pack, it would be better the "Arcane"; it seems more magical, and with a gray-ish skin, it would be awesome for the highborn.

15. Windrunner29

Windrunner29

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    yes but some textures would need to change to fit an night elf society

16. MURDER KING

MURDER KING

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello , and about the highborne changes is agreed everyone but changed all the race by make them depending more to magic with new units created and developed in time

17. Turnro

Turnro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey guys!

Just a quick post to say that the demo of Malfurion's Quest will be updated on the 11th May. This includes new maps and lots of general improvements.

As for the buildings for the Highborne, I have sent a message to Ujimasa Hojo and am waiting for his reply. For the moment, I will have a play with the buildings and see what I can do to make them better.

18. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've played your demo and it is awesome and with this news I feel excited about it. :)

19. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well then, I shall await thee

20. Lacky

Lacky

Resources:
    Resources: