• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Making mastery trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Hi all.

Recently I've learned how to make icons as units/destructibles by testing with a gui inventory system. Now I want to go one further by making mastery trees like in WoW.

Here are the things I don't fully get yet:

- How to make a background image for the mastery tree on which the icons will not overlap?

- How to make the UI around the mastery tree, the lines and corners. Do I make those into icons as well and then lay them on the map?

Background image can be a ubersplat or a giant doodad/destructable.

If you want to change the background image depending on the class, use a destructable in the same way as you used destructables to create icons; just make it larger and move it a tad down, so that the icons will appear "on top" of the background image.

It's easier and more performant to just place them as doodads instead of creating/destroying them upon UI display.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Background image can be a ubersplat or a giant doodad/destructable.

If you want to change the background image depending on the class, use a destructable in the same way as you used destructables to create icons; just make it larger and move it a tad down, so that the icons will appear "on top" of the background image.

It's easier and more performant to just place them as doodads instead of creating/destroying them upon UI display.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I intend to have multiple mastery trees per player. So that I would need them to be created by triggers.

Great so.. how do I move the destructible down/up?

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

If you want this to be multiplayer compatible, you can hide/show destructables locally via GetLocalPlayer() . The destructables themselves should never be created/destroyed locally. just show/hide them individually. Same goes for units and trackables.

I will ponder on it when it comes to creating. Right now I'm planning the effects of masteries and spells.

However, you didn't answer my question -- how do I make a destructible go up/down? Is it via triggers or in the object editor?

Level 8
It can be triggered, but iirc the only way is to use CreateDestructableZ, so if you want to create a normal destructible then move it, you have to create a new destructable based on the original, the remove the original.

Edit:
You also can set the height in the world editor with ctr+page up and ctrl+page down.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

It can be triggered, but iirc the only way is to use CreateDestructableZ, so if you want to create a normal destructible then move it, you have to create a new destructable based on the original, the remove the original.

Edit:
You also can set the height in the world editor with ctr+page up and ctrl+page down.

I see. But does the destructible stay that way in-game as well, or is that just a world edit function?

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Of course it does.

Good to know. But how do I import an image and pin it to a destructible?

Icons are 64x64. The image should be about 512x512 or 512x256 something along those lines so it fits as a background to the mastery tree.

So how can I import it and use it as such?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
My best tip is to study Bribe's hero selection system. It was really easy to understand for me back in the day. You can use the exact method for talent trees / masteries.

In his case he used the abyss tile to create a black background and then he had a destructible with a texture-less icon model. Then you're able to add a texture to that model which was unique for that destructible type. Then you just place the icon on the ground like any other terraining object.

For the layout, he was just using normal destructibles.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

My best tip is to study Bribe's hero selection system. It was really easy to understand for me back in the day. You can use the exact method for talent trees / masteries.

In his case he used the abyss tile to create a black background and then he had a destructible with a texture-less icon model. Then you're able to add a texture to that model which was unique for that destructible type. Then you just place the icon on the ground like any other terraining object.

For the layout, he was just using normal destructibles.

I understand this. Both the icons and the abyss. I am using both.

I'm just confused about the image, because I've never imported a bigger image than an icon.

I'll check Bribe's system, hope that helps

EDIT:

I tried searching, didn't find anything. Can you link it?

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Oh I know that system. Its really good.

Thanks, I'll check it out again. Hopefully I learn.

EDIT:

Well from what I can see there are no images used. All of them are icons.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction, but I still don't get it how to import an image.

Status
Not open for further replies.