• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Image with more height than width

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I have a destructible and have successfully added an image to it. now i want to make talent trees with the image as background for style aspects and overall feel to it.

The thing is though: the image is equal in width and height. so i cannot really make a GOOD looking mastery tree that is more height than width. I tried with big pictures, but it looks ugly.

So question is: can i import a .tga image with example 256x512? i want more height than width without it being resized.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I heard you can add any size, also non-square ones.

Well, you could add 50% alpha channel to one site of the image, this way you can simulate a rectangle.

Usually it is better to have multiple images, as Wietlol says.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I heard you can add any size, also non-square ones.

Well, you could add 50% alpha channel to one site of the image, this way you can simulate a rectangle.

Usually it is better to have multiple images, as Wietlol says.

Its good, but the image has a cut usually in the middle because you have to crop it by half, then resize it to 256x256 or any power 2 then do it again with the other half. on darker images, the line isn't visible and it looks great. but on other brighter images, the line is very visible and it looks horrible.

Here is an example of what I mean:

Untitled.jpg

The first image's cut in the middle is horrible and it even makes the picture look bad. Since I use over the top camera, you can see it clearly. The second image's cut is barely visible at all and it looks great.

But its better than an overstretched horribly blurry image, so I'm fine with it.

Can you explain how your way works? I'm not into graphic and image programs, but i'll give it a go.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Okay, I am confused, sorry.
You have two different images, each cut into two pieces. Why ?
Why don't create one image of all four pieces, so you only have one picture to import ?
Solves the problem with the line.

To avoid images being stretched add a 1 pixel big alpha channel around the images.
---

Basically, it works this way, it is very easy:
  1. Open GIMP or any other art tool like Paint.
  2. Import the images you would like to use.
  3. Arrange the images in a way they look the way you want them to.
  4. Re-size all imported images ( = imported layers, not the whole picture!) by one pixel ( can be easily done in GIMP).
  5. Add alpha channel to the basic picture ( in GIMP called Backgorund)
  6. Remove everything from the background ( not the imported layers, but the basic picture, the picture you imported the other images to) ( the colour, use the, I think wizard tool in GIMP, to select all colour in the background)

Now you have:
  1. An empty background consisting of alpha channel
  2. The imported images that are 1 pixel ( or more, it doesn't matter, they should just not be at the very border) away from the background image borders

Now save as TGA and use the BLP Lab ( tool on Hive) to convert it and so on, like shown on that other site I linked you in a previous thread.

Alternative:

When you import the images, only fill one half of the image, if you would like to have a rectangle. Keep the alpha channel background and nothing on the other half ( like in the picture you linked me, remove one of the two images ( = two pieces))

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Why don't create one image of all four pieces, so you only have one picture to import ?

To avoid images being stretched add a 1 pixel big alpha channel around the images.
---

4. Re-size all imported images ( = imported layers, not the whole picture!) by one pixel ( can be easily done in GIMP).
  6. Remove everything from the background ( not the imported layers, but the basic picture, the picture you imported the other images to) ( the colour, use the, I think wizard tool in GIMP, to select all colour in the background)

Now you have:
  2. The imported images that are 1 pixel ( or more, it doesn't matter, they should just not be at the very border) away from the background image borders

Now save as TGA and use the BLP Lab ( tool on Hive) to convert it and so on, like shown on that other site I linked you in a previous thread.

Alternative:

When you import the images, only fill one half of the image, if you would like to have a rectangle. Keep the alpha channel background and nothing on the other half ( like in the picture you linked me, remove one of the two images ( = two pieces))

Okay, now I am confused.

I have one image of size 256x624. I crop it twice, once for the top and once for the bottom and set it to 256x312 height and width. Before saving, I resize each picture to be 256x256 and then I save em. Even if i don't resize them, warcraft will do it for me... for some reason.

The GIMP way i don't like. I don't have GIMP nor do I want to learn it just to fix a line between 2 images. Not worth the effort IMO.

Is there a simpler way?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

No, you don't crop anything.

Even if i don't resize them, warcraft will do it for me... for some reason.
I think it will not if you add the 1 pixel big alpha channel, that prevents stretching.
---

You have an image of 256x624, alright ( should be 256x512, by the way).
Now you create an empty image, only consisting of alpha channel of the size 624x624 ( 512x512), import the 256x624 ( 256x512) and move it to one site of the image, the other half stays empty.

I can confirm it works, I created a 1024x1024 with only 512x1024 being actually the image, rest is alpha channel.

You should be able to do this all in Paint easily, though I don't know how alpha channel works there.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

No, you don't crop anything.

I think it will not if you add the 1 pixel big alpha channel, that prevents stretching.
---

You have an image of 256x624, alright ( should be 256x512, by the way).
Now you create an empty image, only consisting of alpha channel of the size 624x624 ( 512x512), import the 256x624 ( 256x512) and move it to one site of the image, the other half stays empty.

I can confirm it works, I created a 1024x1024 with only 512x1024 being actually the image, rest is alpha channel.

You should be able to do this all in Paint easily, though I don't know how alpha channel works there.

I will download GIMP and follow your instructions to see if I will make it work. Since you confirmed it works now and before, I should be able to provide with feedback if I fail.

Also, I don't think paint has an alpha channel

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

---

Now you have:

Alternative:

I tried to follow your guideline, but as I have near zero experience with image manipulation software, I obviously got stuck. Your guideline isn't very precise and somewhat inaccurate.

I found no background, simply "Add Alpha Channel". I resized the layer with the image by 1 pixel, then I clicked the alpha channel button. That didn't add any new layer. Then I got stuck at your last step as I don't know how to remove all colors.

Mind giving me a more detailed guide, possibly with screenshots?

Status
Not open for further replies.