• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[2D Art] Making Hide buttons

Level 13
Today I'll show you how to make custom Hide buttons.

Difficulty:

1/10 if u adept at image editing or 5/10 if u new at image editing
Tools you need:

1. Warcraft 3 Image Extractor II(Here)
2. Buttons Manager(Here)
3. Any Image Editing tools(I highly recommend Photoshop(This is trial)

Let's begin!

Step 1: Open Image Extractor II. Open>Archive MPQ(I think). Find and double click War3.mpq. Find or Type ''ReplaceableTextures/CommandButtons/BTNShadowMeld'' (Don't write '' '')

Step 2: Save it as TGA File named AmbushTemplate

Step 3: Open>Archive MPQ. Click War3.mpq or War3x.mpq(For TFT)

Step 4: Find Icon you want and save it.
236879-albums7339-picture84260.png

In this I'll open Murloc Nightcrawler in War3x.mpq

Step 5: Close or minimize Image Extractor. And then open Photoshop(or other but not Paint)

Step 6: Open AmbushTemplate.tga, Press L or lasso. And then select all expect leaves. Then delete it. Make sure there are no leaves deleted. If you did press CTRL+Z
236879-albums7339-picture84261.png

AmbushTemplate

Step 7: Open another image you save. Before opening save your Template.

Step 8: Select all and copy it.

Step 9: Then reopen AmbushTemplate.tga, Paste that u copied earlier. Then u'll get new Layer named Layer 1. Move Layer 1 under AmbushTemplate Layor. Tada!! You will get completed Hide image. Save as new file(Because you can do more icons with this template)

Final Step: Your button is not finished. It's still in TGA File. You need to convert to BLP file. Open Button Manager. Open your new TGA file. Click ''Buttons'' and then save it! You are finished!! Happy making Icons use it on your map! =)

This is final result:
236879-albums7339-picture84262.png

Last edited:
Level 23
Screenshots please. Add links to the tools if possible and tell them that they would need some program that can handle TGA files and transparency. Oh and don't say "I think" If you're gonna write a tutorial, you have to be sure about what you're doing. You also have to describe every little detail of what you do and make it idiot-proof because there are just some people who can't understand unless they're given very specific detail. Also, not everyone knows what the lasso tool does and AFAIK, it has a different name on each image editing program (or may not be present).

Don't use text lingo. ( u -> you ) (2x click -> double click.)

This could be useful but any products done through this is unacceptable as a resource in hive. This would better serve as a border in button manager. Maybe you could even focus on that. Making a Button Manager Border out of the ambush icon or any other possible borders so that you can just apply the leaves through that application..

Last thing, it's a BLP file, not BTN. and the best thing to use is BLPlab. ^^

Good job though, might be useful to somebody.

The grammar/spelling needs to be fixed and this kind of tutorial definitely would benefit from images.

Happy making Icons and upload it to Hive!! =)

Well, generally those kinds of icons won't be approved since they are copy and paste. It is still useful for one's own map, though. So I suppose you should rephrase it to just "Happy icon making!" :p

Level 25
imo such tutorial is not really needed. Anyone who makes icons or modifies existing icons or even played with picture editing programs knows how to make such things you described here. It doesn't really say much more than "extract leaves from picture A and paste them in picture B".
I make icons using GIMP/photoshop and IconBorderPack which I found here on hive or on wc3c forums and what you described is what you need to do with any custom icon - you get the background picture and apply a layer on top of it that has the border of WCIII icon. In your case, that top layer also has leaves - not much of a difference really.

tl;dr
I don't think this tutorial is needed, as it is a specialized case of something already explained in 2d tutorial section, hence it doesn't really bring anything new.

...and the best thing to use is BLPlab. ^^
I, on the other hand, think doing things "manually" is better. You'll understand simple stuff more easily, you don't get frustrated that the program can't find/do something, you can recolor stuff, etc. :)

Level 13
Overall a cool trick, but it is pretty limited in use and it still needs spelling updates/more images. Going to move this to the graveyard for now, but let me know if you'd like to resume work on it!
You're definitely right. I shall update this when I got some spare time, so what do you expect from this? More images or clear step by step? :D Thanks you for reviewing anyway

I'd be okay approving it if you do these two things :)
  • Fix any spelling/grammar errors you can find. Replace "u" with "you".
  • I think you should include your lasso'd leaves image as an attachment or pastebin item. Instead of having people lasso the leaves out themselves, they can just use your template and copy and paste it on top of their icon.

PM me or quote me once you make those changes (so I get a notification), and I'll approve it!