• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Magos Model Editor - How

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So I have finally decided to try and get into this whole modeling thing. I have looked over so many tutorials now it is almost not funny anymore. I feel like I keep skipping a fundamental first step.

1st - Can I create a model from scratch with say the Magos and how?

2nd - If not, then how do I upload the model into the Magos? I have tried uploading, but I feel like I am looking in the wrong place. The tutorials make it seem so easy, but the ones I have seen don't tell you specifically where to go.

Not trying to condescend to anyone that has made tutorials, but I would really like to have some good starter tips on how to properly start a model.

Thanks everyone.

Level 5
Update: Well I found out how to load different unit figures...yeah.

However, question 1 still applies - is it possible to create from scratch?

Magos doesn't have a vertex editor, iirc. I think it will allow you to perform transformations (rotate, scale, translate) on the vertices, but not add them. If you want to create models using freeware, a program like MDLVis or Oinkerwinkle's vertex modifier is the way to go. See:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/3d-modeling-tutorials-282/create-models-only-free-tools-107544/

Magos' model editor is great for viewing models, and performing edits on materials, textures, geosets, etc. But it isn't ideal for scratch modeling.

Level 5
Thanks for the replies. I have also started using mdlvis at the behest of another modeler.

So far it is working alright...but I am still getting my head around the difference/relation between bones and vertices.

Question for any: would say deleting a body part that has an animation cause a conflict/error?

Level 20
Imagine that vertices make the outer part of your skin, and that bones are..well, your bones ^^

Now, try to imagine what would happen when you'd try to move, say, your arm, without bones in it - it would be slightly odd! Well that's more or less the same thing for models.
Vertices shape the design of your model, and bones are used to animate it.

You should make sure that every vertex of your model is attached to a bone, because the world editor does not like "floating" vertices at all, i.e. they will make your game crash.

Yet, you can possibly delete a body part, but make sure you do it properly : deleting the vertices usually is not a problem per se, but be careful when deleting bones.

As an overall advice, Mdlvis is quite good for modeling from scratch, you can even do the UV Mapping and the animations, but it is sometimes buggy. So have a look at existing models' skeletons to have an idea of how bones work and try to make your own! But save your work regularly ^^

Level 18
Whrn you open a texture in Magos, it automatically generates a model consisting of a square plane on which the texture is mapped. That's as scrstch as you can get. Open the texture in Magos, make at least the basic skeleton, then switch to MdlVis, make the mesh, geosets and uv wrapping and animations there. In-between use Magos for assigning and editing materials, generating anination sequences, particles and ribbons, global sequences and texture animations as well as some manual animation script edits. Happy modeling. ^^

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
You basicly use Magos and MDLvis in tandem.
Both tools have their specific strengths:

- MDLvis is great for "constructing" your model. It allows you to modify and add/remove vertices and triangles. You can also do some basic rigging and UVW mapping with it. Also, it allows you to animate your model after rigging.
- Magos is great for applying and editing materials. It also has a powerful node editor that allows you to create and attach sounds, particles, helpers and attachment points ... it's also the only way to make bones dependent on another; MDLvis can't do that as good as Magos.

With both tools together, you can basicly create some pretty neat and clean custom models out of existing models. Both tools are imho too cumbersome to use if you want to create a model from scratch, especially since two critical features of proper model construction are missing in MDLvis:

1) It does not allow to edit weights when rigging the vertices to bones. You are limited to equal division between all influencing bones.
2) It does only have a planar projection mode when UVW mapping. Cylindrical projection is missing, which is essential for high quality wrapping of characters and units (or at least, makes wrapping a whole lot easier).

For that purpose, I recommend Neodex as a plugin for 3ds max and just go the professional route.

Status
Not open for further replies.