• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LOTR: Witch-king Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOTR: The First of the Nine

Changed idea into just one 480 x 480 singleplayer map.

The Third Age, 1257. Elduiin Angmaril, a Dunedain warlord, establishes the northern kingdom of Angmar, in fallen kingdom of Arnor. Elduiin establishes alliances with Rhudaur, Arthedain, and Cardolan.

The Third Age, 1273. King Elduiin Angmaril fathers a son. However, Elduiin is betrayed by the Lord of Arthedain, Malvegil Dainnor, who crowns himself king of the North, kills Elduiin, and breaks off ties with Rhudaur and Cardolan. It is not known whether the Angmaril child survives.

The Third Age, 1299. A lone Ranger of the North is hunting in the mountainous ranges of Ram Duath, in Angmar. He comes across a mysterious elf who calls himself Annatar. The elf requests the Ranger deliver a ring to the king of Angmar. And the Ranger accepts, unknowingly setting up events for the appearance of the First of the Nine.

The First of the Nine, is a linear RPG map based on the fictional universe of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. You play as a lone Ranger of the North, and you will discover the origins of the Witch-king of Angmar, the first of the nine Nazgul, through the Ranger's eyes. The events unfold about 1500 years before the War of the Ring.

The story will largely take place in Angmar, north of the fallen kingdom of Arnor. However, later in the plot, you can explore the barbarian lands of Rhudaur. As the Ranger wanders the land, his skills and expertise in combat, crafting and exploration increases.

Angmar lies to the north of the fallen kingdom of Arnor. The terrain is quite mountainous and rocky. The Fasach River runs from the Northern Lake down to south-east Angmar. Being near the Misty Mountains and in the North, Angmar has cold climate, often with frost and snow covering parts of the terrain. Angmarean culture is derived from the Numenoreans, as the first founders of Angmar were Dunedain. The Angmarean military draws men from the various cities and towns of Angmar; they use basic steel for weaponry and wolf pelts for cloth and robes. Not many trees live in the North, and the ones that do often have their leaves fallen and frozen.

Angmar is divided into separate cities and towns.
Imlad Balchorth is at the centre of Angmar, and is the capital city. Palisades and valleys surround Imlad Balchorth, making it easy to defend outside attackers. The Hall of the North, a great hall, is where the king of Angmar lives, and where the Angmarean politicians meet.
Malenhad lies south of the capital, and is mainly an outpost for Angmarean soldiers to patrol the southern border of Angmar.
Aughaire is a small town in the south-west of Angmar. Aughaire has little guards or military, and is used more for its resources.
The Fasach Riviera lies east of Imlad Balchorth. The city is divided in half by the Fasach River, and is mainly a fishing town.
Donnvail is a town further north of the Fasach Riviera, and along the west side of the Fasach River. Snow is abundant there.
Carn Dum is an abandoned fortress in the far north-west of Angmar. It used to be the capital, until a nest of mountain wyrms settled around it. Still, some Angmareans dwell in this frozen abode.
To the east of Angmar lies Nan Gurth. Nan Gurth is a town established to connect the larger city of Gorothlad, high up in the mountainous south, to Imlad Balchorth.

The story of the map is interesting... I intend to make up the story, but the story should fit in with the established lore. Basically, the lore states that the witch-king receives the ring as a present from Sauron, and then proceeds to turn into a wraith and found the kingdom of Angmar. Well I'd like to change that lore a bit by adding that the kingdom was already founded, and the witch-king only conquers it.

Well, discuss my ideas and throw in some of yours.

Last edited:
Why would anyone play godfall chronicles when I can just play BFME/warhammer mark of chaos? Also this is an RPG featuring a much younger witch king (try 1500 yrs younger). Also stop posting unconstructive comments.

EDIT: I'm going to make a big fan retcon; the original witch-king was killed, and this story will be about the rise of a new replacement witch-king.

Last edited:
Level 4
This is very interesting. Do explain more about this map/project of yours. I'd like to hear some more details about it. =)

And maybe give some ideas to help you in this project/map of yours. =)

I sincerely like the concept, since we don't have any single-player LotR rpg here... But the concept is all you showed us (for now). So, it's a very nice idea and I would like to participate at least by giving suggestions. Please, post some more ideas (etc. combat systems, inventory systems, movement system, concept art...)

EDIT: Here's an idea... Instead of conquering Angmar by storm, the new Witch King could do some conspiracy and plotting with small 1 on 1 or 1 on small group combat, with heavily coded abilities. I personally prefer realistic combat with small scale better than single-hero-mass-killing-overkill combat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.