• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LostMemory's Death Knight Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey...again.

Just like with the Hunter's guide, this is for all of you Death Knights who need some serious training. I've met with people who, sadly, quite commonly, can't even find their shop. I think it's about time I helped out the ATD community with a few little pointers.

I'd first like to clarify this: Your shop is in the top-left of the town, a big obelisk. It's at the top of the ridge that drops down to the water. THIS IS YOUR SHOP. DO NOT BUY FROM THE ONE IN THE TOP-RIGHT. That is the hunters' shop. It will take your money if you attempt to buy from it, unless buying something with "DK APPROVED" in the description.

As the Death Knight, you have a few options available to you that the hunters do not. First, you can level off of more than creeping - since you're so much stronger to start off, you can pick off Death Hunters who strays from the herd. Not only will it save you trouble of having to deal with them later, but it provides great XP and gold. Also, with Army of Eternity, you can begin creeping mid-sized creep encampments, and move onto red creeps much sooner than the hunters. By doing so, you deny them that XP and gold they will be needing as well. Don't worry about attempting to take red creeps first, though you can in most cases. This is because 1- they WILL hurt you and leave you vulnerable to attack and 2- the Hunter's wont be able to take these until later on in the game, so they will be "safe" for a period of time. Also, remember, you have the ability Ghost Walk, which allows you to outrun the Hunters, and at higher levels, even those annoying, invisible, Frozen Archers. It's also a great way to add on more damage in a fight, using it's backstab damage to your advantage. Also, if someone tries to creep something too early and happens to walk by at low health... OWNED!

Also, try to buy a dark dragon eye for its frost attack. It becomes immensely useful later in the game. Also, it is great in combination with your Vampire Bat you get at level 6. Echo Location helps track and hunt down the enemies, and the dark dragon helps you slow them. Your bat also has a nifty ability to freeze enemies in place with "feed", dealing damage and holding them down so you can finish them off. Also, remember that your summons at max level, and your Vampire Bat, have true sight. Always have one or the other out so that enemies cannot rely upon invisibility alone to save themselves. (Note: I don't think paladins of hell have true sight anymore, so use that bat well!)

Once you get access to the level 4 area with the Shape Shifters, begin finding them and killing them immediately. Destroy their leader, the Deceiver, for he can drop an important item. If he drops the Ring of Deception, sell it. It is worse than any of your items from your shop, but it's better than the Hunter's. It would be best not to let them have it. It also denies them XP and Gold, which is a vital struggle in this game. If he drops the Gauntlets of Depletion, enjoy your new Mana-depleting attacks. (The following sentence has been re-written by me.) Once you hit level 12, you gain an ultra powerful attack called "Nether Prison." This attack deals high damage, and if you want to inflict even more pain, use Spirit Plague to reduce their armor beforehand. This won't kill a high-level hunter on its own, but it will weaken them enough for you to do so almost immediately after they re-emerge from the prison.

A large part of being a Death Knight comes from experience. But here's a very important few things to note:

1. Leveling up is more important than kills at the start of the game! You have all of the time in doom to kill the Hunters. If you can kill a hunter, do so, but don't spend all your time chasing them down or you will not win.
2. Find your Ultimate Item. It's well worth the struggle.
3. Deny the hunters of all the XP and gold that you can. Kill their creeps. Drive them away from their kills and then take them. One level can make all the difference. Also, sneaking up on hunters while they creep and killing them can be a very evil, yet effective, strategy. Not that you should be worried about evil since you're a death knight.
4.Have an order of priority enemies to kill. I recommend: Nature Mages without their shields, Medicine Doctors, Frozen Archers, Hunters, Architects, and then Scientists.
5. Use your units during doom. Otherwise, you won't trap the enemy.
6. Don't be afraid of the hunters unless they are higher level and higher numbers. Only then can they kill you, since you have the aid of your summons...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.