• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Against the Darkness 2.0 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
October 30, 2007 - At D-Day!!!

I am proud to announce that after a year-to-the-date total of work on the project, Against the Darkness 2.0 has been released! You can download the map here - Against the Darkness 2.0.

About the Game: Against the Darkness is a Hunter vs. Hunted Survival game, but with a rather original twist. In the beginning of the game, the Death Knight is stronger than any Death Hunter, or all of them put together for that matter. He can easily eradicate any Hunter that crosses his path, and will do so without remorse. However, as time progresses the Death Knight soon becomes the hunted as the Death Hunters become more powerful. If the Death Hunters kill the Death Knight, they win the game. If the Death Knight kills all of the Death Hunters, he wins the game.

In a Nutshell: The objective of the Death Hunters is to band together to defeat the Death Knight by growing stronger together through creeping and buying items. The objective of the Death Knight is to kill all of the Death Hunters before they become strong enough to defeat him.

Features of 2.0

• Hints reworked and shortened.
  • Respawn system added.
  • The map bounds have been expanded.
  • Votekick system added.
  • New Death Knight Quest - Carrion Lord's Beetles.
  • New Item - Wolve's Paw; Grants the ability to cast Roar, which gives friendly nearby units a 10% bonus to damage for 35 seconds. Also increases the Agility of the Hero by 3.
  • Overswing damage multiplier decreased.
  • Swift Shot chance to stun decreased and held constant for each level, damage dealt has been increased.
  • Numerous tool-tip fixes and other ability revisions.
  • New building - House of Knowledge; A building that adds 30 XP to the Architect every minute once built.
  • In the last minute of Doom, the Death Knight will now become enraged and be buffed with "Rage", which increases his attack speed by 100% and his movement speed by 65%.
  • Options Menu updated.
  • Income notifications now occur through floating text, not a text-message.
  • New and replaced creeps.
  • Corrupted Spirit removed (Nether Medallion can now be dropped).
  • And many, many more fixes and additions that are up to the player to find!

Feedback: If you played and really enjoyed the map, come back to the forums and tell me what you liked. It would be great to get an active community of AtD players going here on the Hive Workshop!

Post-Release Reviews

"Words cannot describe the greatness of this map. Simply beautiful."
-Soviet.Kazak

"HELLISHLY Awesome!"
-l0w_kwaliti

"In the current form, AtD is still the best tag out there"
-Andriejj

"Everyone download and play this"
-Shados

"9.5/10"
-UchihaSasuke.gr

Last edited:
Level 18
Everyone download and play this; it's pretty fun. I ended up playing the pre-release game of this, and the map is nicely polished and not overly long. I ended up being the last survivor (Bragging rights FTW), but got owned at the start of the next game due to some unfortunate creeplocking.

-*meow*

Level 12
Ok I Hosted/played it:

A1-1.jpg

A2-2.jpg

End-1.jpg

Comments:
- The terrain & paths are very very narrow, id definetly recommend opening it up a bit.
Very annoying to have walk single file through lanes when chasing units.
- Add means for the Death Knight to locate the the hunted.
Perhaps a structure in the center he can walk to with a 'ping hunted locations' ability (with a long cooldown ofcourse). So he can walk there from time to time, if hes having trouble.

If you havent already:
- Make the Death Knight get stronger at start depending on amount of hunted in the games, this way its always balanced.
- If the Death Knight leaves the game, within first few mins, maybe make a random hunted take his place.

thats all for now :)

Level 18
Ok I Hosted/played it

Awesome! Thank you so much.

- The terrain & paths are very very narrow, id definetly recommend opening it up a bit.
Very annoying to have walk single file through lanes when chasing units.

The paths in the forests are narrow for a reason and have been even since beta. This is to make the forests a very good place to loose the Death Knight when trying to outrun him. The forests are a small haven for the Hunters, though they do not provide them complete protection. A Death Knight can also use this to his advantage by cutting off the Hunters paths while they are within the forests.

The other two suggestions that you have made are already in the map :thumbs_up:. [Thirdly, the idea of a Death Knight leaving and a Player taking his place has been pondered off and on, but the decision was finally made not to do this. In a game where there were 3-5 players, the balancing would get thrown off completely (e.g. 3 Players, Death Knight leaves, now there would be one Hunter and one Death Knight). It just would ruin the fun. For those unfortunate occasions when a Death Knight does leave the game, all you can do really is re-host. There is a Win Cinematic that triggers though when he leaves as a little token for playing :slp:]

Level 12
Yea I thought it was ok,
It seemed a bit dull at times as I was just randomly wandering the terrain hoping to bump into a hunted.

I think making 2 hunters +(a little rebalance) would make it more interesting as atleast then theres the element of co-op & teamwork.

Level 18
Yea I thought it was ok,
It seemed a bit dull at times as I was just randomly wandering the terrain hoping to bump into a hunted.

I think making 2 hunters +(a little rebalance) would make it more interesting as atleast then theres the element of co-op & teamwork.

Did you do the Death Knight's quests? They would help very much in a "dull time". Also, if you would have known that the Vampire Bat had Echo-Location you would have run into the Death Hunters a lot more often. But really, the point of the game for a Death Knight isn't just to wander around looking for Hunters. You need to level off of creeps and buy items that will make you stronger and more able to easily defeat them as the game progresses. I'd say give it another try, and this time be a Death Hunter. The Death Knight isn't for everybody, just as in Island defense or Vampirism, the Titan/Vampire is not for everyone.

Nonetheless, thanks for hosting!

p.s. I remember andriejj haha. He did play in some early beta versions a long time ago! I'm going to give him a message and see what he thought. You were hosting on USEast right?

Last edited:
Level 11
I...Hosted!

I played (as hunters) And i think overall its sorta imba, someone was level 4, and dk was 6 and he had dragons, bats, aboms (magic immune..towers cant attack em' :/), and he couldn't do anything to the dk either cus he had so much hp. i think wind walk is also a bit imba too, the break damage is a tad high. Thats how i died too..was a bit damaged forgot to use pumpkins to heal and the break damage killed me o.o. maybe i sound like im whining but oh well thats what i noticed, its a pretty fun game, though i seem to suck at it so far =). (logically i was red, and this was USEAST fyi)

Anyways, on to screenshots:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 338
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 309
Level 12
Ok I hosted the map and i must say its quite fun, i was death knight and i runned into the hunters nearly at the beggining and killed one of them cause trolls throwed net at him. Lucky me!:thumbs_up:. Oh and i also putted a link in my signature to the forum of Against the Darkness.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_103007_210706_03 (kopia).jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_103007_210706_03 (kopia).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 379
  • WC3ScrnShot_103007_211159_04 (kopia).jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_103007_211159_04 (kopia).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 304
Level 18
I played (as hunters) And i think overall its sorta imba, someone was level 4, and dk was 6 and he had dragons, bats, aboms (magic immune..towers cant attack em' :/), and he couldn't do anything to the dk either cus he had so much hp. i think wind walk is also a bit imba too, the break damage is a tad high. Thats how i died too..was a bit damaged forgot to use pumpkins to heal and the break damage killed me o.o. maybe i sound like im whining but oh well thats what i noticed, its a pretty fun game, though i seem to suck at it so far =). (logically i was red, and this was USEAST fyi)
Anyways, on to screenshots:

Hey, thanks for playing Shadow_Fox!! The balancing is actually pretty aced. Since last year non-stop balancing has occurred up until about 2 months ago when it was concluded by me and several testers that the current settings were sufficient. You must have armor and attack boosting items in order to even stand a chance against the Death Knight. You also must use your Hero Abilities wisely and work as a team. One Death Hunter (unless of high level and with stacked items) cannot defeat the Death Knight alone.

Actually, as the Hunters level they actually increase in armor/hp/stats/attack at a higher rate than the Death Knight does. When you compare the fact that there are more Death Hunters than the Death Knight, it definitely begins to balance out. Also, the break damage out of a Ghost Walk is only devastating, unless you have very low HP, if you are lightly armored. Don't forget that each Hunter Hero has very helpful Abilities as well and when used correctly they can definitely slow, stop, or help you outrun the Death Knight.

Keep playing Against the Darkness and get those skills polished up!

Ok I hosted the map and i must say its quite fun, i was death knight and i runned into the hunters nearly at the beggining and killed one of them cause trolls throwed net at him. Lucky me!:thumbs_up:. Oh and i also putted a link in my signature to the forum of Against the Darkness.

Wonderful to hear! Keep hosting Against the Darkness, it would be wonderful to build up a following here at the Hive Workshop, and on Battle.net itself!

I can play now! I'll be on until 12ish Central time.

I will play Heretodlstuff, in fact I just finished playing a game, and I thought it was very fun, except we lost many people in the beggining, because the death knight was on top of us, but ended up winning because the death knight left lol

Too late, you guys both posted when I got off....

Im ready to play AGAIN, if anyone posts in time! I can host.

Level 7
I remember playing some old ver of this before, but didn't remember it was with you ^^

I think adding some AI features would make this game more lively and fun. Like bandit raids, some city guards patrolling and other stuff like that. And more side quests ofc :)

But even in the current form, AtD is still the best tag out there. Vampirism got only nice begining cinematic, Island Defence is ugley, things like Tauren/Kodo/Treeman Tag- no comment... AtD got some plot, idea running the whole thing, awesome terraining, ORDER(that's what's missing in most maps- they are chaotic), it owns other tags.

And about Azeroth- I no longer play there. Channels of clans: VZ, o0o, TDG and TDW are usually empty, or used for chatting. Nothing to play there anymore. That's why I play on Northrend, where I got an active clan, know other, active, good clans, got much more friends. And I'm from Europe myself, that counts too :) The thing I don't like about Azeroth is that Americans reply so SLOWLY, they make long pauses between sentences and like talking about nothing(look at clan VZ).

Level 18
Andriejj, I remember playing with you haha. I am actually beginning work on a Training mode for Single Player games, which will include some AI and maybe some new features like what you suggested. Adding more quests is a good idea, but the map space will need to be increased (which isn't entirely impossible at all, so this can be done eventually.) I just need help thinking them up using the lore of the map.

Thank you so much for your compliments, they're probably the most inspirational to continue work on the map I've ever gotten. And hey, there are very cool Americans out on Azeroth (like me)!

Level 7
Nite, I meaned something different, not making it playable on SP. I meaned adding things independent from both sides. Now we got only new creeps spawning here. What I mean is some computer-controlled creep moves and other stuff like that.

And about Americans- I didn't say they are stupid, I said they are slow :p
Here's an example of clan VZ dialog:
Krewl_Rain comes(to the computer- she got a bot on all the time) and says: "rawr". Rising_Dusk replies- "rawrrr". After a minute, Dusk asks "what's up KR?". After 20 seconds KR spells the reply in some wicked way, it can't be understood. After another 20 seconds Dusk says ":)". Andriejj logs off...

Good, to know that Andri also is helping but i would like to say that the AI creeps, single player mode and map increase size were all my suggestions and ideas ....
Also, before improving anything i suggest you fiix the bugs i found first .....

Finally, there is only 2 posts of Andri here .... i really don't see how much inspiration they may have given you ...

Level 18
i would like to say that the AI creeps, single player mode and map increase size were all my suggestions and ideas

As of recent, yes they were. But actually many people have suggested both of these before. Here's an example.

Nite, I meaned something different, not making it playable on SP. I meaned adding things independent from both sides. Now we got only new creeps spawning here. What I mean is some computer-controlled creep moves and other stuff like that.

I understood but I was basically saying it's more likely that that will occur in Single Player mode, since adding raids from creeps would add a little chaos to the game and take away from the main point of it. In a Single-Player mode though, it could be totally possible.

Nite said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix View Post
i would like to say that the AI creeps, single player mode and map increase size were all my suggestions and ideas
As of recent, yes they were. But actually many people have suggested both of these before. Here's an example.
Well, ok, and what about the "map increase" size and the "Single player mode" ???

Besides, using AI in multiplayer would be not a bad idea. As long as you don't mess things up, it could turn the game more interesting ... Smart creeps are more difficult to kill, which requires more team work ..

They would still not be a problem for DK as he is very strong =)

Level 18
The map size increase was my idea and has been since the start of the project. I increased the map size in many previous versions and also in Version 2.0. The size is increased whenever I think up new areas/things to do/quests that call for more space. I will not, however, change the map size to Epic. The Death Knight would never be able to find/kill all of the Death Hunters, it would take too much time to get from place to place, and essential Death Hunter teamwork would be eroded.

I will give you kudos for the Single Player mode idea though. But if it is done, it will be far different from what you suggested. Don't fret though, it will still be very cool!

The AI editor idea wont work. I can't create an efficient AI system for creeps with the AI editor.

But, I can create a triggered AI system for creeps... I just don't know how to go about doing it. They cast abilities on their own. I suppose that I should make it to where whenever they get low health to run away to avoid being killed. and then run back a few moments later to fight again. I can also make them target Heroes more often than other units. I think this would make them 'smarter' and harder to kill.

Nite said:
I will give you kudos for the Single Player mode idea though. But if it is done, it will be far different from what you suggested. Don't fret though, it will still be very cool!
What is a "kudo" !?
Still, depends.... if you see correctly, i suggested two single player modes. You just have to choose one ofc. It depends on which you will choose.

Nite said:
But, I can create a triggered AI system for creeps... I just don't know how to go about doing it. They cast abilities on their own. I suppose that I should make it to where whenever they get low health to run away to avoid being killed. and then run back a few moments later to fight again. I can also make them target Heroes more often than other units. I think this would make them 'smarter' and harder to kill.
Well, it seems that now you have a plan, remember - the computer is stupid like hell, we need to tell him everything to the minimum detail.
Make a triggered system for creeps is not that hard. PM me if you need help, i can give you some advices.

Also, in your map, please don't use a location for the new heroes, that leaks, use instead a coordinate to place the new heroes.

And remember to see the spells section =)

Level 4
sry if this is the wrong topic, but i think i found a bug.

wolve's claw should add 10% damage for 35 seconds, right? well, the time is correct, but the bonus damage doesn't seem right.
added a pic.

anyway, great map and update =)

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 108
Level 18
sry if this is the wrong topic, but i think i found a bug.

wolve's claw should add 10% damage for 35 seconds, right? well, the time is correct, but the bonus damage doesn't seem right.
added a pic.

anyway, great map and update =)

Yes, that was a bug of the initial release of Version 2.0. 2.0b fixed it and now 2.0c is released and the Roar damage bug has long been fixed (if you consider 4 days long :wink:) Thank you for the notification though! Download the latest version here. Keep playing Against the Darkness!

Level 4
ok, some feedback to the 2.1e vers.
the skill of the hunters doesn not seem to work at lvl 4, well lvl 1 it worked for sure, but later i rarely saw the bonus (floating text).
in the questlog, it seems u forgot one character for the doom description for the color code. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.