• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LostMemory's Death Hunter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey...

This is LostMemory. For those of you who don't know me, I've helped Nite come up with some concepts, etc for the map...I've also helped him out by being his lead tester. Anyways, I've noticed a shocking amount of people that don't know how to play the game well and leave because of this. So I decided to write a guide to help you out so that you know what to do and how to do it. Ready? Here we go...

A few tips: Here's a few little hints you might find useful...

1. Search for the ultimate items in the higher level requirement areas-- Don't search alone though!
2. If possible, always stay within range of an ally that can help you.
3. TEAMWORK is essential. If you try to make it a one-man show, it's most likely going to be an all-out slaughter of your team, thanks to you.
4. Attack the Death Knight ONLY WHEN YOU ARE CERTAIN you are strong enough.
5. Always buy armors first, you will NEED armor to win the game.
6. Quests are a great way to gain XP and gold when the creeps are scarce.

Architect: Your primary job is to provide a place of shelter to your teammates. Make sure that you're ready for the job though, because at the first sign of trouble your allies will run to your base. Here's what I recommend doing - spend the first few minutes of the game leveling on small creep groups. Make sure to get golden strike for the extra cash per kill. You'll need it. Make sure to upgrade your barricades, defense systems, and get some kills. Remember also to harvest wood with gatherers! Also, you won't really need too many items. Give offensive items to allies or sell them for cash. Always, however, have at least one hefty piece of armor and healing potions just in case. Please keep in mind that you can build a structure that enables you to gain experience every minute! This is very useful for if you just want to settle down and build, but keep in mind that creeping will still get you your desired level 6 ultimate MUCH faster. Also, remember, if the Death Knight is going to destroy your base, it's better to destroy the buildings with the command or do it yourself so that he does not benefit from their destruction...

Frozen Archer: You are the biggest pain in the rear to the death knight. How do I know? Personal experience. I highly recommend increasing your levels on the Vanish and Swift Shot. This will allow you to escape with heightened speed, and you can slow the Death Knight down and deal extra damage with your agility. DO NOT rely on the invisibility of Vanish to escape, however! The Death Knight has many ways to see you, invisible or not. Start by creeping small creeps and random critters. After a while, move up in the strength of what you kill. If the Death Knight attacks you, Vanish immediately, or slow him with Icy Arrows to help teammates and then Vanish. Then run for your life. Unless you have at least one ally and you are BOTH much higher level than the Death Knight, you will not win the fight. Also, keep in mind that you'll be wanting some armor as the archer is a ranged class.

Medicine Doctor: I bet you can't guess what your role is...That's right, healing and support! Man, how did you know? Anyways, you are what is known as an EXP leech. But no one else cares because you're healing them. Stick around others. If you're caught alone and the Death Knight finds you, run for an architect's base or an ally that can slow the Death Knight down. If your team doesn't have any of those...well, tough luck for you, I guess. As you run, heal yourself and, if you're strong enough, drop sun totems and make him run by them over and over...you get healed, and the Death Knight is harmed. You play a vital role in the team, if you're eliminated, your team has to resort to healing potions, using precious inventory space and gold. Also, Depletion is a useful technique to use on enemy creeps. The Aura can be useful, but Personally, I would focus on the other two skills first. For items, get potions of life / mana for healing, and get plenty of armor as you'll be top on the Death Knight's hit list.

Nature Mage: Second most annoying enemy for the Death Knight. Why? Your ability to heal for 15 seconds by escaping to a tree is a pain. But don't rely on it too much, it has to run out eventually... and he might be waiting for you afterwards. Focus on leveling your wards, which is what you're going to be creeping with. Both of those are your primary creeping skills. Level up as fast as you can and improve your wards. Eventually, you will turn into one of the most powerful heroes in the game...until you take a hit. Because of this, it is wise to get a hold on plenty of armor. When the 15 seconds of being stuck in a tree is over, (Especially during doom...) you're screwed in a physical fight. Use some wards to distract the Death Knight and run away unless you can finish him.

Scientist: Finally, the tank of the group! Some might say that scientists are supposed to be smart and not strong, but you're just being stereotypical. Anyways, as the tank of the group, your job is to take as many hits as you can and deal as much damage as you can, all while confusing the Death Knight with your Mechanical Holograms (mirror images). You are what should be between the Death Knight and your Med Doctors and Mages. Get armor and damage boosting items. Your objective early in game is to try to distract the Death Knight with your multiple images, or shock him with Supercharge when your fellow Hunters are in trouble. Eventually, you should be able to turn that confusion into an all-out victory with your allies. Later in the game, you should have plenty of armor and attack boosters. You should also be able to withstand the Death Knight's attacks for a fairly long period of time. Mechanical Holograms and Supercharge are your friends!! Creep constantly and slowly move up in strength!! Remember, your weaker allies are counting on you to protect them, especially in the early game. (-with (A bit of) help from NiTe)

Hunter: This is pretty much the most straightforward of the entire group. Hunt creeps with your wolves, which should be your first skill chosen. As always, start small, then kill larger creeps. You will probably be able to take larger creeps before any other of your teammates if you concentrate on leveling your Hunting Wolf ability, for wolves are a great hand in battle. Get items that increase your attack, they will serve you best- but at do not neglect armor either! Your job is to inflict as much pain as you can in a short amount of time while you're covered by your allies. It is recommended to avoid the Death Knight for most of the game, all while leveling up at least to level 6, for that is when you gain one of the strongest abilities in the game - Beast Trap. This will trap someone for quite some time, deal high damage, and is great for if you need to run away. Also, you might want to get a level or two of tracking so you can see the Death Knight, just so you know when and where to run, or in the end, know where he's running to. I highly recommend using the damage upgrade auto-cast ability to pack that extra punch.

Thanks for reading and happy Death Knight slaying!

Last edited:
Level 3
It's a nice guide for beginner.Explain some survivability issues and some ways to sneak behind the Death Knight and kill him.

I normally would, but there's several factors that go into survivability that are too variable from game to game to predict. (What skills you get, their levels, how smart the players are...What items you find/the death knight finds...) The most of survivability comes with experience. Know the Death Knight and how to throw him off. As for the second thing,generally hunters don't need to sneak up on the Death Knight. You have up to 8 hunters. If your combined purchased nets, stuns, and slows can't keep him in one place, he deserves to get away.

Status
Not open for further replies.