• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lords of Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
11am here, I could test it for you. Err, GMT there is what again? I keep forgetting. Here it is -gtm 3. Or is it gmt? hum.
EDIT: Actually, it is -GTM 2, since it is the summer. +1 hour into the clock. So.. GMT IS?
EDIT2: Hive should show the time ppl post things. And i'm gonna check this half an hour.

Edit3: Gonna keep posting time here. 11:15 am, 12:00, 13:00,14:46 14:59

whispering Yunyun, no one answer

Last edited:
Level 12
@Luffy: More imported models ? Map's already 1mo :( I have to think about it.
It is Castle Age you are true.
What do you mean by income text bugged ? Less gold awarded than what it says ?

You do it however you want. I just recommended how it should be better than current. And about income text, it was at 2.8. You've fixed it at 2.9, good ;)

and @Sasuhkun. I've played it too. I dont think theres a bug about that, rebelling system is even working quite good. Then starting from nowadays, you should focus on training more units than capturing mass cities at starting so you won't suck up your influence like you said. Accommodate yourself to the game before posting loser posts.

Level 12
No, it is not like that. After I lost my cities, I couldn't get them back, If it said I had lots of guys and lots of new technology (when I began losing cities, I began making LOTS of technology, really quick... I couldn't get even the national cities!!)

Level 12
I lost, and then I couldn't regain then. And I couldn't make more warriors, and for some reason my influence was DROPPING, even if I had more technology and warriors. And since I lost all my food source I couldn't make more warriors to make more influence... I just don't know what happened, One moment it was everything ok, and the other nothing was right... And I'm sorry for all the mess today, I couldn't find you at all... sniff, I failed you. Is there any other way that I can help you with Goffterdom? Any?

And answering your question, yes, I think so. If I remember well, I couldn't get any neutral passive cities. But i'm not completely sure...

Level 18
I fixed those bugs (I hope so).

I'm going to make a game with all the good players I know and who said they were ready to play. Are you ?

Level 12
Look to who you're asking to. That is a rethorical question right? It gotta be :O

What time? Time RIGHT now is 16:50 (GMT -2)

Edit: That user is not logged on. That's what I got when I /whois nTh]Yunyun, though I do have you in my friends, I couldn't believe it.

16:53

Level 12
Remaaatch ò-ó where and when? ò-ó

Edit: 3 months later... they say Europa is better than Lords of Europe. NOOBS ARE WHAT THEY ARE!! Aside from Goffterdom unquestionable superiority, in Europa they begin with the country fully developed. But the really pros rise the country, from it's very beggining... NOOBS ARE WHO SAY THIS! Such a foolish act.

Edit: I don't know where to post suggestions, here or on the original post... so... aside from the things I already suggested, I think you should remove the mortars. Nor only they are a bit op, but they are technology from ww1/ww2, not 1700. The rifleman are acceptable, if you're going straight between 1200-1700 on time.

Last edited:
Level 12
could you tell me how did you make the walls buildable? It's projection space is showing as exactly same as the wall. I've thought of maybe I could have build farms and change their model to the stone wall, but this doesn't works. Is there an option that is making destructables buildable?

Level 6
i need to correct you. mortars were around before cannons (as effective weapons) they just weren't the type you think they are.

they were huged and used almost exclusively for siege warefare. the looked like cauldrons and were generally aimed at high angles.

Level 40
could you tell me how did you make the walls buildable? It's projection space is showing as exactly same as the wall. I've thought of maybe I could have build farms and change their model to the stone wall, but this doesn't works. Is there an option that is making destructables buildable?
It's a building. He just changed the model, pathing map, etc.

Level 18
i need to correct you. mortars were around before cannons (as effective weapons) they just weren't the type you think they are.

they were huged and used almost exclusively for siege warefare. the looked like cauldrons and were generally aimed at high angles.

This is for me ?

Level 12
It's a building. He just changed the model, pathing map, etc.

hmm, changing pathing map? can someone explain how I can do this? (well, I didn't opened the we yet though)

you're exact words were

"they are technology from ww1/ww2, not 1700."

i just wanted to correct that statement.

actually mortars can be seen as early as the 1400's

but I think you're wrong, because the cannons at constantinople siege weren't mortars, they were big cannons named şahin and specially made for crashing double walls. after that event, cannon is got to known.

Level 40
City revolts are ridiculous--I've had as many as 6 cities revolt from having only -1 influence (which is easy to get if someone picks off a few of your men). Please fix this--at the very most have revolts proportional to your influence, but preferably just don't have them at all (but keep the whole "you don't have enough influence to take this city" jazz).

Level 12
It is on wc3diplomacy.net...

1. Don't leave your men vulnerable. Duh.

2. If you're lacking few influence, just make militia. They're cheap and fast, better than losing 300 cities.

3. If you're lacking lots of influence, then you went to war with +1 influence. Don't ever do that again.

Level 40
What was your solution ?
Essentially everyone on the site who played the game is telling him and his friend that the influence system is broken and makes the game unpleasant due to how much it slows it down (the revolts specifically), and they're saying we're noobs for not playing in an entirely overly cautious and boring manner.

Or as Spankfurt put it:

Spankfurt said:
Holy shit you guys make us not want to play this game

You: Tell us about inbalances/problems/things you'd like fixed

Us: This is rigged/this system is silly/improve this

You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLry6Cn_D4

Level 18
So your solution is to remove it ?

Sorry but I read the whole thread on diplomacy (still can't register -.-'). Influence System is far from perfect and need some retouches (increases importance of teching, you'll loose towns depending on how many neg influence you have etc...). BUT you can't say this is shit, it really improves game for isolated kingdoms, who can in older version just send 20 troops towards all direction and take every cities they met...

Anyway, I'll post a changelog soon...

@PurplePoot: Can you tell the guy who want to remake the map that he's dont have the right and he may not do that... thanks :)

EDIT:

**********CHANGELOG LoE 4.0********** (Italic: What is already done)
• New Models & Icons (for Pikeman, Huskarl, Cataphract)
• Heavy Metal Armor now takes 50% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Light Metal Armor now takes 90% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Medium Metal Armor now takes 80% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 100%).
• Cavalry Armor now takes 90% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Cossaks' Armortype changed from Heavy Metal to Cavalry.
• French Unique Unit: Chilvarous Knight (name changed).
• German Unique Unit: Huskarl, an anti-archer infantry.
• Liban Union now become Persia.
• Persia Unique Unit: War Elephant, a tank.
• Added few towns near Persia (Tel Aviv, Ashdod)
• Turks Unique Unit: Janissary, a better hand canoneer.
• Almoheads Unique Unit: Mameluk.
• Poison Arrows: 3.5 damage/sec (instead of 2).
• More differences between north and south buildings (Blacksmith, Outpost, Frontier Fort, Scout Tower).
• Added a Research to increase the Gold/Lumber limit.
• Added a "Run" ability to all heroes. Enabled at Imperial Age.
• English Longbowmen now requires Imperial Age to be trained.
• Castle Age now requires: Illumination, Defend, Equerry, Imprvd. Archery.
• Imperial Age now requires: Workshop, Military Tactics, War Horse Training, Enthusiasm.
• Powder Age now requires: Balistics, Marksmanship, Heavy Armor, Siege Mastering.
• Builder is removed from starting units. Its training time is also increased to 20 (instead of 10).
• Training time of Military builder is also increased to 35 (instead of 10).
• Colision Size reduced by 4 for every units (I increased it from 10 to 16 in a version). So now it'll be 12.
• Hero can be revived at Capital (so available to resurect at Dark Age).
• Ages can no longer be researched by upgrading Capital. It'll be a research (so that you wont be able to build another capital).
• All Siege Weapon will only be able to shoot on buildings.
• An Emergency Ability is added to the capital-building. Enabled when the capital has >30% hp. Which allows to summon guards.
• Unit cost redone.
• Heroes' Abilities reworked.
• Units' Abilities reworked.
• Added a Battering Ram to the Workshop.
• Added differences between Towns (Capital = 400 Gold/300 Wood income, large cities = 300 gold/150 Wood, medium cities = 200 gold/100 wood and small cities = 100 gold/ 50 wood).
• Influence System Reworked: Researches now provide 3 Influence (instead of 2). Number of towns which claim independence now depends on how far you are negative in influence.
• Each Nation has now bonuses.

Level 40
@PurplePoot: Can you tell the guy who want to remake the map that he's dont have the right and he may not do that... thanks :)
Remake the map as in steal LoE? I don't know anyone who wants to do that.

Remake the map as in make a Europa styled map from scratch? I'm pretty sure he has the right to do so.

--

Kings and bodyguards are both rigged, as are all siege units (this is from 3.0, haven't played the new version).

Level 18
The new version is not released yet, I didnt even finish changes.

I thought he wanted to take my map and to improve it.

Concerning Siege Units, it will be fixed in the new version (only able to target buildings). As noticed heroes' abilities will be reworked.

Level 40
Kings' abilities (with the exception of bodyguards... don't give the king a summon which makes units which you have no reason not to suicide) are fine. It's the incredible power of the kings themselves (they can run in and trash all your ranged units while being targeted and still live) that is rigged.

Level 18
Noticed. I saw you were full of critics on wc3 diplomacy, feel free to claim same things here. I need critics to improve the map.

But, I dont find any idea to nerf the king. Can you help me ? Decreases damages ? hit points ?

EDIT: Two new things:
• New Ally System: Now available: Ally, Submit (Divert Income, Share Control), Neutral (Dont attack at sight), Enemy

Level 18
Logchange updated.

**********CHANGELOG LoE 4.0********** (Italic: What is already done)
• You now starts with one city.
• The limit to take a city is now 1/4 (instead of 500). Medium cities have 2600 hit points (limit = 750), large have 4000 (limit = 1000).

Concerning the influence system, if the only issue is that when you have -1 you loose as many towns as -14 it'll be fixed in 4.0...

Level 12
Again, just be sure to be full of influence when going to war and try not killing EVERY military unit you have. Aside, upgrades will give 3 points now, so it should be easier to get influence.

Edit: That city would be your capital? Like for example, France would begin with Paris, HRE with Berlin, etc.

Level 18
You are true purplepoot, the point of the influence system is to prevent fast expanding. You said I could reinforce creeps, it is not a bad idea but not so efficient. It also need to be reworked, I'll do it, starting with the less neg influence you have the less towns will claim independence. Do you have other ideas concerning it ? Excepted "REMOVE IT" of course :p

Level 40
You are true purplepoot, the point of the influence system is to prevent fast expanding. You said I could reinforce creeps, it is not a bad idea but not so efficient. It also need to be reworked, I'll do it, starting with the less neg influence you have the less towns will claim independence. Do you have other ideas concerning it ? Excepted "REMOVE IT" of course :p
Eh. I'll try to think of something, but on the lines of "remove it" making cities have an attack might be an option. This would also have the nice side effect of stopping people who run around with a few units harassing your cities because it's essentially impossible to catch them, especially while dealing with someone else.

Me still thinks +2 ip per food is too much. It will be too EASY with that.
The purpose of the influence system is to stop fast expanding, not make the game boring/tedious. It plays too much of a role late game, which is what we are discussing. Adding challenge for no reason just reduces how fun the game is--try to think of this as a balance factor and not a central aspect of gameplay.

Level 6
1st

the Holy Roman Empire's capitol should be Vienna.
(the Holy Roman Empire never actually had a static capitol as the head state was constantly elected and re elected however austria was the strongest and most influencial member and therefore the most deserving of the capitol.)

2nd

the best thing to do with the king is drastically reduce his attack but mildly increase HP
(this way he can participate in battles without being slaughtered instantly but can't tank all you're archers)

3rd

adding special buildings (like mini-wonders) that improve you're influence would be a good addition to the influence system (reducing the importance of you're army so you don't get you're influence wipped out so fast)

Last edited:
Level 40
the best thing to do with the king is drastically reduce his attack but mildly increase HP
(this way he can participate in battles without being slaughtered instantly but can't tank all you're archers)
The fact that he's so strong health-wise as it is means that even with little damage he can still tear through your army. Also, nerfing his damage too much would make him useless in combat, by which you may as well just remove him (probably a better option seeing as he's just a relic from Europa in the first place).

Level 6
it may be a good idea to nerf him. i just figgured since you're pushing that idea i should come up with some alternatives just in case we CAN make him work.

i just wanted to add on to my previous statement.

the king should provide a substantial bonus to influence. as we'll in addition to nerfing his damage and modifying his HP he should add a few abillities that provide bonouses to you're troops. (therby making him a support unit as apposed to a tank)

he should be able to survive a battle the whole way but not be able to directly influence the battle to any real degree.

finally Berlin should NOT be prussia's capitol either. Berlin was actually the capitol of Brandenburg
Konigsberg was the Capitol of Prussia Untill 1701 when Fredrick 1 was coronated.

Berlin wasn't even a part of Prussia untill the death of Albert Frederick in 1618. he had no male heirs. John Sigismund was granted the right of succession to the Duchy of Prussia, which was still a Polish fief. From this time the Duchy of Prussia was in personal union with the Margraviate of Brandenburg. The resulting state, known as Brandenburg-Prussia, consisted of geographically disconnected territories in Prussia, Brandenburg, and Rhenish lands of Cleves and Mark.

(my point being is this extends beyond the games timeline and therefore you should go by prussia as it was during the games timeline)

Level 40
I'd like to raise the "make cities have an attack" point once again (and revive this thread in the process) since it's really annoying when a few units get past your border and start raising hell.

Also, with regards to influence, a friend of mine brought up the interesting point that doubling it could in fact have catastrophic effects late game because if you are redlining your influence (which you have to do to expand significantly and in the end win) you're going to be even more into the negative when you finally fight someone and lose those units. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

Level 18
I'd like to raise the "make cities have an attack" point once again (and revive this thread in the process) since it's really annoying when a few units get past your border and start raising hell.

Didnt get the meaning sorry :x

I planed to change the Influence System (more than what I said in the logchange). It has to take in account more factors, I still dont know which.

EDIT:

Influence System reworked (Info)

Changelog updated:
(Italic: What is already done)
• New Models & Icons (for Pikeman, Huskarl, Cataphract)
• Heavy Metal Armor now takes 50% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Light Metal Armor now takes 90% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Medium Metal Armor now takes 80% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 100%).
• Cavalry Armor now takes 90% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Cossaks' Armortype changed from Heavy Metal to Cavalry.
• French Unique Unit: Chilvarous Knight (name changed).
• German Unique Unit: Huskarl, an anti-archer infantry.
• Liban Union now become Persia.
• Persia Unique Unit: War Elephant, a tank.
• Added few towns near Persia (Amman, Mossoul)
• Turks Unique Unit: Janissary, a better hand canoneer.
• Poison Arrows: 3.5 damage/sec (instead of 2).
• More differences between north and south buildings (Blacksmith, Outpost, Frontier Fort, Scout Tower).
• Added a Research to increase the Gold/Lumber limit.
• English Longbowmen now requires Imperial Age to be trained.
• Castle Age now requires: Illumination, Defend, Equerry, Imprvd. Archery.
• Imperial Age now requires: Workshop, Military Tactics, War Horse Training, Enthusiasm.
• Powder Age now requires: Ballistics, Marksmanship, Heavy Armor, Siege Mastering.
• Builder is removed from starting units. Its training time is also increased to 20 (instead of 10).
• Training time of Military builder is also increased to 35 (instead of 10).
• Collision Size of every units reduced.
• All Siege Weapon will only be able to shoot on buildings.
• Added differences between Towns (Capital = 300 Gold/200 Wood income, large cities = 170 gold/90 Wood, medium cities = 140 gold/80 wood and small cities = 100 gold/ 50 wood).
• You now starts with one city.
• The limit to take a city is now 1/4 (instead of 500). Medium cities have 2600 hit points (limit = 750), large have 4000 (limit = 1000).
• Almoheads Unique Unit: Mameluk.
• Hero can be revived at Capital (so available to resurrect at Dark Age).
• Ages are no longer researched by upgrading Capital. It's now a research (so that you wont be able to build another capital).
• An Emergency Ability is added to the capital-building. Enabled when the capital has >30% hp. Which allows to summon guards.
• Unit cost redone.
• Heroes' Abilities reworked.
• Units' Abilities reworked.
• Added a Battering Ram to the Workshop.
• Influence System Reworked: Researches now provide 2 Influence (instead of 1). Number of towns which claim independence now depends on how far you are negative in influence. Other changes incoming.
• Each Nation has now bonuses.
• New Ally System: Now available: Ally, Submit (Divert Income, Share Control), Neutral (Dont attack at sight), Enemy.
• Ally Max per game: 2
• Added percentage of damages/blocking in Damages/Armors types infopannel.
• Added a "Run" ability to all heroes, avalaible at start (French did learn Run at Dark Age =D).

Last edited:
Level 40
Cool. I like how there is more incentive to keep your king alive now (I'm assuming that he didn't give 8 before) among other things. More comments below, but on a quick note: do you plan to make "friendly" cities (those of your nationality) start with some mana? (For example, as Poland Warsaw would presumbly have ~5/10/15/or something mana when you capture it).

Allies giving influence seems realistic, but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea. Just because you can have teams of three doesn't mean it should be necessary, and this adds yet another reason for it to be. An interesting idea would be to have allies give IP, but have the number of total cities in an alliance limited (so as you become more powerful you can have fewer allies).

About capitals, limiting them to one seems meh. A lot hinges on the capital at the moment, and this could make losing it even worse (since you can't have a backup). EDIT: I see that it's now a research so this is actually fine.

I like the fact that buildings factor in now, but perhaps don't make walls and/or towers count (or at least count for less) to not encourage turtling any more than it is.

Also, I take it that the new rebellion system means that it is impossible to lose an "Annexed" city from revolts? If so, awesome!

--

About giving cities attacks, I basically mean:

Currently, people tend to grab a few groups of small, fast, strong units (usually cavalry) and sneak them past your defences (boats are good for this, but you can often find an undefended passage and just walk by). They then run them to your farthest cities and take them, then move to other random cities and repeat. It's incredibly annoying and essentially impossible to stop without massing towers everywhere (which is impractical cost-wise). It would help if there was some way to stop this (like having player-controlled cities have a decent attack, or requiring a minimum number of units present to capture a city).

--

With regards to the changelog:

Looks pretty cool, although I have a few comments:

I still think the Spell Breaker was the best fit for the pikeman. The elf looks a little awkward, especially without a portrait (I assume the new one is the ironclad guy? If so, again, the whole wild swing attack looks a tad weird).

Illumination strikes me as an odd upgrade requirement, since priests are so out-of-the-way and there are legitimate reasons for not wanting them to have an attack.

Out of curiosity, why are builders nerfed (especially not starting with one)?

Will there be any visual difference between different city types, or will it only be their life?

--

Looks great, thanks for all the info.

Level 12
Actually, since you make your own empire, the way you want, without certain cities you MUST have or something (Like there was before, national and international cities. Or making your own empire is what Goffterdom said to me) it would be better not to. About defending those towns, a good idea is when the city is half life (if it was full, you could attack your city to instantly summon reinforcements >_> and by leaving your city to only 1/2 is too risky), it summons something like militia (it won't be militia of course) depending on the age you're at. (And could depend on a upgrade too. Like military subscription, in which the number and quality of the units defending your cities rises. And Goffterdom, if you need help about it, talk with crawlers, in the clan. He have somewhat developed a similar system which could work for LoE)

Level 18
@PurplePoot:
do you plan to make "friendly" cities (those of your nationality) start with some mana? (For example, as Poland Warsaw would presumbly have ~5/10/15/or something mana when you capture it).

The closest cities dont need to have a mana bonus, if the player get them fast they will be under control before anyone take it. So the closest cities wont revolt, the last you took will.

Allies giving influence seems realistic, but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea. Just because you can have teams of three doesn't mean it should be necessary, and this adds yet another reason for it to be. An interesting idea would be to have allies give IP, but have the number of total cities in an alliance limited (so as you become more powerful you can have fewer allies).

Wonder if someone has one regular ally (a nearby kingdom) and a IRL friend playing in the same time. The IRL player is not so good but the other guy is skilled and has lots of cities. The first guy will have to choice between the two allies when he reach x cities ? I think it is hard to remove an ally to someone just because he's getting too strong. I mean, for gameplay this is logical and more challenging. But the player will dislike to be penalized whereas he's playing quite well.

I like the fact that buildings factor in now, but perhaps don't make walls and/or towers count (or at least count for less) to not encourage turtling any more than it is.
This was exactly what I thought but I had another idea. It can be good to put a limit for Towers (4 per cities) / Outposts (2 per cities) / Frontier Fort (2 per cities). And then make Influence depending on number of those buildings.

Also, I take it that the new rebellion system means that it is impossible to lose an "Annexed" city from revolts? If so, awesome!
Absolutely :)

About giving cities attacks, I basically mean:

Currently, people tend to grab a few groups of small, fast, strong units (usually cavalry) and sneak them past your defences (boats are good for this, but you can often find an undefended passage and just walk by). They then run them to your farthest cities and take them, then move to other random cities and repeat. It's incredibly annoying and essentially impossible to stop without massing towers everywhere (which is impractical cost-wise). It would help if there was some way to stop this (like having player-controlled cities have a decent attack, or requiring a minimum number of units present to capture a city).
Hmm, I think this is part of the game. When I play LoE I always build walls and fortifications all around my empire, blocking all water and land access by walls/towers/frontier fort/trebuchet. So that the only ways to my land are under control. But SasuhKun gave a nice idea, what about adding an ability for towns called "Call to Arms" (how original !) available only when you researched something and with a cooldown of 240 ? So that you can easily summons guards to defend the time you sent some guys...

I still think the Spell Breaker was the best fit for the pikeman. The elf looks a little awkward, especially without a portrait (I assume the new one is the ironclad guy? If so, again, the whole wild swing attack looks a tad weird).

This model.

Illumination strikes me as an odd upgrade requirement, since priests are so out-of-the-way and there are legitimate reasons for not wanting them to have an attack.
I added this research to allow the smart attack command when you select a group which includes priests.

Out of curiosity, why are builders nerfed (especially not starting with one)
To increase differences between skill and no-skill, to make the "builder quicker to train" bonus more useful. And to unallow builder-spam (like training 10 builder in one minute in order to repair the trebuchet who holds your last defence etc...).

Will there be any visual difference between different city types, or will it only be their life?
Yes, maybe you already noticed there were visual differences between them. I followed them, castle gives higher income than keep and town hall. For south the arcane observatory has the higher income, then a new model for middle-south town (a dalaran tower) and then the simple building.

@SasuhKun:
And Goffterdom, if you need help about it, talk with crawlers, in the clan. He have somewhat developed a similar system which could work for LoE)

Crawlers ? What is the system ?

Thanks for feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.