• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Europe: The Art of War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Map Description In Progress...
- Last Update: 02-13-11

EUROPE:
THE ART OF WAR

The map is still in development phase, each aspect can be modified or removed. Some systems might be added later on. If you think something needs a rework, or if you want to suggest something, feel free. If you want to help in any way, feel free.

I'm French so my English skills are a bit weird, if you see any sentence that sounds strange, any vocabulary or grammar mistake, please contact me anyhow, I'll edit my post. Thanks (I already thanks Reaper51 for his help).

If you want to help me for ideas, click the link !

Idea Thread

I. GENERAL PRESENTATION
  • MAP PRESENTATION
Europe: The Art of War is a strategy map. The game takes place in medieval Europe and northern Africa, starring Empires such as France, Russia or England. There are at least thirteen different nations with their own special bonuses (for instance England build Shipyards faster) and two unique units (Arab Mameluks). The players will play as one of these medieval powers, and will have to fight for the national glory.

The game takes place in a beautifully detailed Europe terrain, made with the help of several realistic maps (tree density, reliefs, towns…) and probably a final terrainer. Players have to take control over the different cities of the map (each city has it's own real name), which increases his income (income automatically generated every “round” or “month”). This is the basic and easiest way to earn income. To gather more, players will have to grow, in order to be able to control more towns, or to raise a trade empire. Indeed, E:tAoW will try to not focus only on warfare, but also on Empire developing and economy. A customized trade system will be implemented which will be an alternative way to war to earn income.

E:tAoW will also feature epic land battles and navy warfare (with a customized system for ships). Strategy and battle planning will be the master key: “The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.” – Sun TzuThe Art of War. There will be a custom Damages/Armor board to make the counter/anti-counter part more efficient. Same things for ships but with another custom system: supplying ships nearby shipyards will be necessary, or else you will see them sinking in a foreign sea. A moral system will also be implemented, increasing the feeling of strategy and player’s impact on the battle ingoing.

The map will also features a custom diplomacy system, with several diplomacy status (Vassal, Submitted, Trade Partner, Ally…) and a unique and never-viewed way to negotiate with other players. The map will also includes heroes since a special ranking and promotion unit system is going to be added.

Finally, Europe: the Art of War will be, I hope, a rich and great strategy map, where the player really feels that his choices and his strategy have an impact on everything he does.

• STORY OF THE MAP
This project has a huge and important story behind it. I’m map making for about seven or eight years now, and I have been always making Europe strategy maps. Each time I finished one I wanted to make a new one because it didn’t fulfill my expectations.

2003: Europa – Clone of “Europa” – The worst strategy map ever, no balance, nooby tooltips, no advanced system, nothing new actually – Over 250 hours of work

2005: War of Middle-Ages – Clone of “Europa” – Just a clone with a worst terrain, nice tooltips and overall display, but still not what I wanted – Over 300 hours of work

2007: Lords of Europe – Same income principle than “Europa” but differences in gameplay – Over 300 hours of work

2011: Europe: The Art of War – New terrain, new principles, new gameplay, new everything. I hope this will finally go beyond the "Clone of Europa" issue, if I release every systems I planned to do it will definitely be a new kind of Europe strategy map – For now, over 30 hours of work

I have always been making my maps alone, I always had a massive amount of free time and the motivation to finish it. Unfortunately E:tAoW needs more work (but less than 300 hours since I became much more skilled and since people are helping) and I have less time. Anyway it will be my greatest project ever.

• TO-DO LIST

• PROGRESSING
Overall Progression: 25%
Terrain: ~65%
Units Data: ~5%
Systems: ~5%
Paperwork: ~70%

Current State of Mind: Brainstorming Mood, Searching for partners
Free Time: Not enough
Opportunity to Work: Less than one hour a day to map make on weeks, free time on week-ends
Current Work: Paperworking, Brainstorming, to organize an efficient mapping later on.

• SPECIAL THANKS
I would like to thanks some people that helped me for this map and for others Europa I made. If you think you deserve to be on this list, ask me.

SasuhKun,
Chizume,
Purple Poot,
Warman45,
Centreri,
The Hiveguys (thanks all of you)

Samcai,
Forum Judge Hype

II. MAP CONTENTS
  • RESOURCES SYSTEM

The ressource system is far from finished to be created. I don't even finished the brainstorm about it. I need your help on this subject, an idea thread will soon be created where you will be able to give your ideas. I'll post the link here.

Something that will be implement, no matter how the rest of the system will be is the resource Exchanging (between players). Players won't use the Alliance Control Pannel, they will have to send Resource Caravan to the Capital of their ally. Resources will be represented by an item in the caravan. If you kill the caravan you can loot the resources.

• NATIONS
This information can be outdated. A lot of new systems and ideas came up, leading to a reconsideration of the bonuses and / or unique units.​

A list of the nations with their civilization bonus and unique unit.

There are some missing unique units, if you have ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

Castile - Conquistador
Ships: + movement speed
Shipyard: Building time decreased
Faster expansion

France - Chilvarous Knight
Cavalry: + sight range, + hit points, + damages

England - Longbowman
Ships: + hit points, + damages
Archers: +x% attack speed

Holy Roman Empire - Teutonic Knight
Unique unit is hired instead of trained
Melee: + hit points, +x% regeneration rate

Hungary - ???
Starting resources increased
Faster expansion
Melee: + damages

Byzantine Empire - Cataphract
Skirmishers/Pikemen: + damages
Priests: Better heal
Crusaders: Improved level for Faith (ability)

Papal States - Templar
Priests: Better heal
Religion Units: + hit points
Crusaders: + damages

Lithuania - Huskarl
Faster expansion
Organic units: + armor
Cavalry: +x% attack speed

Russian States - Cossak
Starting resources increased
Unique unit: Training time decreased
Organic units: + hit points

Norway - ???
Ships: + hit points, + armor, +x% attack speed, + damages

Sweden - ???
Infantry: + damages, + hit points, +x% regeneration rate
Shipyard: Cost decreased

Seljuk Turks - Janissary
Improved income
All powder units available earlier

Mamluke Sultanate - Mamluke
Faster expansion
Archers: + damages
Transport Ships: Building time decreased , cost decreased

Persia - War Elephant
Faster expansion
Organic units: + damages

Moslem State (Morocco) - ???
Ships: + movement speed
Cavalry: + hit points, + damages

Moslem State (Tunisia) - Beldouin Mounted Archer
Ships: + movement speed, + hit points
Trade: x% extra gold for each trade

• WARFARE
One of the most important part of the gameplay. How will players fight each other ? By what means ?

Conscription: The first soldiers available will be Conscript and Militia (and maybe another ranged type). Weak troopers that can’t be used to take down another player, no matter how much Conscripts you have. Really quick to train, this will likely be the easier way for early expand.

Raise an Army: This will follow approximately the same principles than the previous map: having a polyvalent army in case you meet someone with a main unit-type or raising a whole pikemen army because you already know your opponent have a horde of knights.

Battlefield: I’m still searching on how to implement this without too much work, but I’ll may find a way anyhow. I’m planning on adding bonuses to the different types of terrain (woods +1 armor, sand / snow -33% movement speed and so on…). So you will have to think about where to fight instead of just meeting in a random point for an epic massacre.

Unit Lines: Considering there will be a Moral System (see below for more information), army lines will be very important. Units under moral break will be the primary target of your enemy, backing them will be important in order to keep them alive. On the other side, killing the demoralized units of your opponents will gives you advantages in the front line. I hope this will leads to more strategical wars (Flank attacks, surrounding, retreats and so on…).

Heroes / High Ranked Units: Heroes and such units will take an important part in battles. I would like they don’t have a glow so you have to spot them in the middle of the fight (or else it’s too easy to focus them with a bunch of archers). Heroes will be pillars of your army cohesion, they increase moral capabilities of nearby units, reducing the amount of moral lost and giving back moral with their spells. High ranked units will really represents Lieutnants and Captains since they will also provide a moral bonus, they won’t be just empowered regular units.

Siege Engines: I think every single siege engine will have to be loaded with Engineer to move / shot and also to unpack before it can actually shot. Their reloading time will be huge too. Combined with medium hit points and high production costs, Siege Engines are easy to kill and hard to use. To balance all the cons, I think they will be really deadly.

Mercenaries: In the case you are a Trade Empire you may have a small army. To defend your lands you have to rely on one or several allies. But why should they help you ? Because you pay them ! Hire mercenary nations to defend yourself and your diplomatical status will be almost untouchable.

Submission: Instead of killing everyone during your conquests, you will be able to submit the defeated nations. A submitted nation owe you everything, she has to give you resources and troops and provide safety for the town you control in his lands.

Trade Empires: If you want to take down a trade empire, cut his trade routes, sea or ground, nothing matters more for this type of empire. Without gold, nobody will help him. This brings a new dimension in the whole warfare, you don’t have to completely destroy the nation, you can just cut his income and he’s just going to fall apart on his own.

Sea Control: Transport Ships can now load and unload anywhere on the map, making invasions very easier to perform. To avoid this you will have to control your national seas with your navy. I think there will be four or five different warships with different attack/armor types to increase strategical importance of such battles.

• MORAL SYSTEM

One of the main warfare change in the gameplay. I have never see such a system implemented in a map. If you did I think my system is still different from what you have seen.

The aim of this system is to make battles dynamics. You will have to pay attention to the different part of your army. Moral System will work this way:
- Each time a unit dies, every nearby units (small range ~350) loose mana (all units have a mana depending on how they are strong-willed). Units have no mana regeneration, their mana is recovered by other ways.
- When units have no mana, they are under Moral Break (represented by the Curse buff). Their attack speed and damages are reduced (probably 50%) and their armor is decreased (probably 3). The Moral Break effect lasts until mana is recovered (at least 1 mana).

There are several ways to encourage your army in battles. Heroes and High Ranked Units can increase the moral of nearby troops and some buildings (like Garrison or Frontier Fort) will restore mana over time.
- In battles, each time a unit kills another unit, it restores a small amount of mana.
- Each time a unit dies it decreases the moral of nearby units. A kill of a High Ranked Unit also increases the moral of nearby units.
- When a Hero casts a spell, it increases moral of nearby units.
- When a hero or a high ranked unit dies it decreases moral of nearby units (larger range for Heroes).

Leading to some strategy stuff:
- You won't be able to fight by just surrounding and waiting the opponent's army.
- When units are Moral Broke you have to back them or to encourage them by using spells or by adding some high ranked units to the regiment.
- When a part of your opponent's army is Moral Broke you have to focus on this part.
- If you defend near Moral Boosting structures you have to stay nearby the building, it offers a major advantage.
- You have to use your Heroes and High Ranked Units in a smart way, keep them alive, encourage the right units at the right time, using your heroes' spell with efficiency.

If you see any major nonsense, or any improvement that can be done, feel free to share your opinion.

• TRADE SYSTEM
Trade system will probably be reliable to the Resources System. Consequently it is not finished to be brainstormed yet.
In the same way that you can loot resources packed in the Exchange Caravan, you can pillage Trade Caravan.

• DIPLOMACY SYSTEMS
Another major change between E:tAoW and the other strategy maps. A dynamic and in-game ally system.
Each player can train one Emissary (one at a time). Emissaries have different abilities, the first one is White Flag. It makes every nearby units invulnerable, friend or enemy. Then, in a spellbook he has a list of comand to ask for every diplomatical status (Ally this player, Declar War, Submit, Vassal...). It will drop an item, to agree the other player has to take the item. I think other emissaries and Heroes will be able to seal the pact (to take the item).

Different Diplomatical Status
Enemy: Basically the enemy of the nation.
Neutral: Not attacked at sight, no shared vision. I think every players will start neutral towards each other.
Ally: Not attacked at sight, vision shared.
Vassal: Not attacked at sight, Vassal gives vision and control to his suzerain. The vassalage can be break via Revolt.
Submitted: Not attacked at sight, Submitted gives vision and control to his Lord, Submitted grants a percentage (that can be improved via teching) of his total gold income to his Lord. The Submitting can be break via Revolt.
Trade Pact: Not attacked at sight, vision not shared, increase efficiency of Trade between the two players.

Diplomacy will likely be restricted by research. You will have to tech to unlock every diplomatical status.

Revolt: Not 100% sure of how it will works. Players will have an overall Influence (view the Influence System part for more informations) over Europe. Negative diplomatical status (Vassal, Submitted) can be break when the overal Influence of their Suzerain / Lord will fall below the original Influence they had when they defeated them (to make it simple if I submitted you with 41 Influence, when I fall below 41 influence you can try to revolt).
The Revolt empowers the units of your nations, granting a damage and an attack speed bonus (probably 10% and 20%).

If you ask me why you should not kill the people instead of submitting them:
I guess I will try to make the Diplomacy System important to the game, leading to two or three teams fighting over Europe, sometime also victim of internal struggles.
I hope having Vassals / Submitted nations over your control will be more useful (even if there's a risk of revolt) than just killing them.

• AGE SYSTEM

• INFLUENCE SYSTEM

• HEROES

• SHIP SYSTEM

Last edited:
Level 18
It is a very good idea. But I have to rework it, to make it balance, to see if its fit with the gameplay and other stuff. So, maybe, I dont know.

Level 6
i know i sometimes i explain things three times. this isn't because i think you're stupid it's because i think i am bad at explaining things. because this is a new topic but is continuing a previous discussion i will outline the topic so people don't need to refer to the LoE thread/topic thingy.

1. nations that aren't picked launch small attacks against you're nation every turn. units they spawn are dependent on the average unit's fielded by each player.

2. each person has the abillity to pick there nations religion, beliefs, ideoligy and crap.
every turn points are awarded to the strongest religion/ideoligy/etc..
basically by picking a religion you join a team. of course you could be catholic centralized and you would be on a team with all catholics and all centralized.

(you're points go to catholic team and centralized team and you get points when they win.)
these points can be spent on disasters, influence, improvements (a unit that builds a structure instantly then disapears), or other cool crap (Crusades!)

Level 18
@Warman:
1) This is a good idea but it needs to be reworked. I'll take it into consideration thanks.
2) It can not be. What if northern kingdoms choose Islam ? while they never be muslim... And concerning government type this is a thing I keep for Glory of War (with a more advanced macro management). Moreover be able to cast natural disaster sounds weird.

@Centreri: A release date ? I'm sure of nothing, let's say one month and half ? Maybe more...

Level 2
Don't do the upgrade to increase resource limit, as people can easily just buy the resources at the market and keep them there to pick them up later. Allow alliances to be managed in text form, as dialogs are slower and more annoying. The fewer dialogs and the more text, the better.

Level 40
Don't do the upgrade to increase resource limit, as people can easily just buy the resources at the market and keep them there to pick them up later.
This is why I think that you should just be allowed to have any amount of resources. All you do currently is build a market, put some cheap guy inside with the backpack ability, surround it with walls, and spend excess gold/lumber on packages which can be consumed later. It's just... silly.

Level 2
I agree that resources should be infinite. It's unrealistic to implement a cap on the resources currently available, and I don't see how it helps.

Additionally, Goff, you shouldn't aim for grandiose 500-man armies. If anything, I'd try to cap the army size at 200 (assuming some units cost 2+ food) and add a 'retire (or sell, even?) unit' button to allow for better army management. The current system where several people can have 200 units each on the map slows down gameplay. Maybe SCII can handle it, WCIII can't. I even had the idea for a map I was working on (which will probably never be finished) where to remove lag while maintaining 'large' armies you can combine units of the same type (so there would be a 2-footman unit, a 4-footman unit by combining 2 2-footmen, a 8-footman unit by combining 2 4-footmen, etc) and theoretically having huge armies without any lag. If you like this idea (it's a bit unrealistic in terms of how one views the combat, but it has the advantages) the stat scale should be roughly 1.7 (for footmen; it'd be different for archers, because they need more emphasis on damage. 1.4x life and 2x damage?) (so a 2-footman unit would have 1.7x the attack/life of a 1-footman unit). This keeps the units more or less even up to maybe 16.

Last edited:
Level 40
Having the upgrade won't hurt at all.
Keeping the upgrade would just make researching it a waste of money then, unless it increases the cap to infinite and costs a reasonably small amount, by which point it should be an essentially necessary tech and thus a little silly in the first place (since you don't have money issues until very late game, when you should have access to any tech in existence).

<unit stuff>
Indeed, late game does get a bit massy. However, that might require adjusting more than the unit cap seeing as otherwise you may end up sitting on a lot of gold late game (especially due to turtling meaning battles are often much more drawn out than they otherwise would be).

Level 18
So re-implement the food cap ? Hum... I have to think about it.

Concerning resources cap it not unrealistic. An empire can not stock unlimited resources, it needs places to stock it. The more realistic would be to set the resource cap for each players depending on number of towns, but it's just useless. The reason of the cap is to prevent people to mass gold and do nothing else. It force them to spend the gold before the next turn (so they do something). I dont think I'm going to remove it. But never thought of a such use for the merchandise, its a "unrealistic" thing exploit. I'll remove the merchandise item every turn. So that the research for resources cap will be useful.

Level 40
So re-implement the food cap ? Hum... I have to think about it.
I mean that costs, unit effectiveness, etc might have to be tweaked to prevent people from building up a pile of gold if there is a lower food cap.

Concerning resources cap it not unrealistic. An empire can not stock unlimited resources, it needs places to stock it. The more realistic would be to set the resource cap for each players depending on number of towns, but it's just useless.
Eh, I really don't think realism has any place in this mechanic anyways.

The reason of the cap is to prevent people to mass gold and do nothing else. It force them to spend the gold before the next turn (so they do something). I dont think I'm going to remove it. But never thought of a such use for the merchandise, its a "unrealistic" thing exploit. I'll remove the merchandise item every turn. So that the research for resources cap will be useful.
Eh, I don't think that's a very good solution, since people might accidentally buy stuff right before the turnover and lose it when they shouldn't. Perhaps give merchandise some time limit (say 120 seconds) before it expires? I guess you could still micro around this mechanic, but people will abuse more holes in the game than you will ever be able to plug, and there's no sense punishing everyone else because of that.

Level 18
Yeah was stupid to propose every turn -.- An expiration timer is fine.

Eh, I really don't think realism has any place in this mechanic anyways.
Yes it has ! Erm... a little bit ? No ? What ? not at all ? Ok... T_T

What I have to do to make a proper Europe map:

Obviously the ugly land part will be Italy. The map will be a square (to make it different from other Europe maps).

Level 40
What I have to do to make a proper Europe map:

Obviously the ugly land part will be Italy. The map will be a square (to make it different from other Europe maps).
Heh, getting them shaped properly is definitely a pain. Hell, I made one of only southeast England/northeast Spain/France/Germany/Northern Italy/northern Sardinia/western Austria and had trouble getting it shaped properly. In the end I just used the grid and didn't care about tiny inconsistencies as long as in the end it stayed roughly accurate (especially since getting the coasts in the north and south to line up is so damn hard).

Also, with the new terrain, I would suggest a few different things to make country selection potentially more interesting:

• Make Finland be located in Finland rather than Norway. This gives both Sweden and Finland a bit more leg room and could result in making Sweden a more sea-based empire if both are chosen. Finland would be a northern Egypt, if you will. Hell, you could also have Norway if you wanted.
  • Move one of Kiev or Moscow to Novgorod or make a third, independent country? If the new terrain is anything like the old one Novgorod would make an excellent base and would help separate the two otherwise pressed together countries.
  • Perhaps have a Portuguese player? Currently, Spain has by far the most guaranteed land of any country, since regardless of what countries are picked nobody is close to them (they can get to southwestern France before France/Italy can if they head straight for it, and they are guaranteed all of Spain itself).
  • Even if you don't use the region system I suggested before, at least have some incentive to pick countries in a spread out manner? Regardless of the influence system or otherwise, poor distribution can result in imbalance.

Level 11
  • Make Finland be located in Finland rather than Norway. This gives both Sweden and Finland a bit more leg room and could result in making Sweden a more sea-based empire if both are chosen. Finland would be a northern Egypt, if you will. Hell, you could also have Norway if you wanted.

A tiny suggestion for the small northern kingdoms. Denmark wasn't a part of the Holy Roman Empire and I suggest uniting Denmark and Norway, and Iceland if that island is to be on the map. They are fairly small countries compared to all of Europe and the middle east. See Denmark-Norway for information about their former union.

And another thing, don't unite Sweden and Denmark or Sweden and Russia, they are archenemies. Finland was once a part of Sweden but was then taken by the Russians. Uniting Sweden & Finland or giving Russia the Finish territory are possible solutions depending on what era is taking place.

Level 40
Greece, Hungary, the Byzantine Empire, etc only have about four cities which will go uncontested no matter the matchup. Portugal would have about that many (assuming the terrain layout was modified so that the only route right would not be into Spain's capital) and could be an effective sea empire (don't only think land!), while Finland would have more.

You overestimate the city density of Central Europe and underestimate the city density of the north.

Level 18
You didnt look carefully at the new changes. Take a focus look at the nation list.

At north there is: Norway (located in actual Norway) and Sweden (Finland didnt exist at all at middle-ages, its a part of Swedish Kingdom, I was drunk or whatever when I called Norway 'Finland' on Lords of Europe).
There is only "Russian States" and not "Kievan Russ" and "Duchy of Moskva".
So there are 3 players at the north of the map.

PurplePoot, I dont like your "region" idea, I told you once but I think you didnt see it and probably you thought I ignored it. I dont ;) And, in the new changes I wrote " • More balance in the city location". In simple term it means that I'll try to limit the "easy-take" city to 4 or 5 for each location. Then add 2 or 3 "boarder cities" for each neighbour. Concerning isolated player (in case nobody choose a nearby country), warman proposed to add hostile spawn which attack nearby players. This idea need to be reworked but it can be part of the solution (in addition of the influence system).

@Chizume: In term of reality I saw on maps that Denmark was part of Norway. But I have no way to implement it on the map, where should be located Norway's capital-city ? In Norway, not in Denmark. And Norway will need boats to reach it, whereas Holy Roman Empire will take it after 2 minutes of game...

Another issue that is not solved at all is the distance between Norway and Sweden, which is rather small. But both countries were kingdoms of the middle-ages and have to figure in the map. So the only thing I can do is to recommend both players to ally each other.

EDIT:
@PurplePoot: Concerning Terrain, you see the grid on the minimap ? I have a paper map of Europe in front of me right now, with the same number of cells (the same square actually). So I can locate everything easily. I had some trouble to start but now I think this is going to help me. (first time I tried to redo a Europe map the France looked like she was dancing, Spain was so small that Italy was larger -.-).

Level 40
At north there is: Norway (located in actual Norway) and Sweden (Finland didnt exist at all at middle-ages, its a part of Swedish Kingdom, I was drunk or whatever when I called Norway 'Finland' on Lords of Europe).
There is only "Russian States" and not "Kievan Russ" and "Duchy of Moskva".
So there are 3 players at the north of the map.
Yeah, I forgot that then (been a while since I read the changelog).

PurplePoot, I dont like your "region" idea, I told you once but I think you didnt see it and probably you thought I ignored it. I dont ;) And, in the new changes I wrote " • More balance in the city location". In simple term it means that I'll try to limit the "easy-take" city to 4 or 5 for each location. Then add 2 or 3 "boarder cities" for each neighbour. Concerning isolated player (in case nobody choose a nearby country), warman proposed to add hostile spawn which attack nearby players. This idea need to be reworked but it can be part of the solution (in addition of the influence system).
Yeah, I just mean some sort of game mechanic to encourage the players to spread out, not necessarily that system. This is why Europa and many of its clones have preplaced nations; it forces the layout to be balanced. While this is not the only approach it is an effective one, and while I'm not suggesting you take this road I'm suggesting you learn from it. It seems cool to be able to pick whatever array of nations you want, but in practice it really sucks if three quarters of the players clump in one corner of the map and the remaining few get essentially free reign.

Another issue that is not solved at all is the distance between Norway and Sweden, which is rather small. But both countries were kingdoms of the middle-ages and have to figure in the map. So the only thing I can do is to recommend both players to ally each other.
Make it harder to pass the mountains, possibly?

@PurplePoot: Concerning Terrain, you see the grid on the minimap ? I have a paper map of Europe in front of me right now, with the same number of cells (the same square actually). So I can locate everything easily. I had some trouble to start but now I think this is going to help me. (first time I tried to redo a Europe map the France looked like she was dancing, Spain was so small that Italy was larger -.-).
Fair enough, I was trying to do it with a digital map and it was terrible (due to alt+tabbing all the time among other things).

EDIT: Please make HRE's (hired) special units still respect the building's waypoint, otherwise that "feature" will be incredibly frustrating.

Last edited:
Level 18
For HRE a standard trigger sending the hired unit to the rally point ?

Concerning mountains between Sweden and Norway it can be a good idea, thanks.

Level 2
Concerning resources cap it not unrealistic. An empire can not stock unlimited resources, it needs places to stock it. The more realistic would be to set the resource cap for each players depending on number of towns, but it's just useless. The reason of the cap is to prevent people to mass gold and do nothing else. It force them to spend the gold before the next turn (so they do something). I dont think I'm going to remove it. But never thought of a such use for the merchandise, its a "unrealistic" thing exploit. I'll remove the merchandise item every turn. So that the research for resources cap will be useful.
There are always other ways to manage resources, like giving it to allies for a bit if they have less. What do you have against people not using resources? On the realism thing, really, one building out of ten thousand would cost nothing, relatively speaking. If it's a 2 gold upgrade, then go ahead. Otherwise, not realistic. Eh. I'm too excited to criticize anymore. :D

Level 18
After some work under techno vibe here's what I came up with:

----EUROPE PROGRESS REPORT----

There are blanks in coast it was the green lines you can see on the first screen. I removed them for the screen.

What part do you think I would have to redo ? If you can see something on the picture of course...

Level 12
You really took the Italy-Boot thing on, didn't ya? That really look like some random noble boot xD That is the best scratch I've seen so far about Europe. From what I know from my Geography lessons (This year I've happened to study some things and others about Europe, specialy about its surface, you're doing a great job. Though Denmark... Denmark is looking strange. Aside from that, it is all great :D And if you're progressing on the terrain that fast, then maybe we'll expect ETAoW (Maybe we should keep using LoE? It sounds better xD That reminds me of Ethanol lol) sooner than expected. I've just looked on a map, and it looks REALLY like Europe. Except, again, Denmark form. And that island on south of the border between Spain and France (Presumably, Spanish territory) is too small, ins't it? Of course, there are very factors to consider, but on your map it looks awfully like a dot. On the map is a small chunk of land just beneath Valencia and Barcelona. And add more naval support, cause for some reason I've just realized how funny it would be for Spain to keep getting those little isles :D wars on South Europe/Mediterranean Sea are really awesome (Usually Spain-Almohads, Spain-France, Spain-Italy, France-Italy, Italy-Greece, Egypt-Almohads, Egypt-Greece, Egypt-Italy, Almohads-Italy :D) Damn, that map is gonna be the ultimate tribute to strategy... can't wait.

Level 40
Copenhagen is missing, as well as the mountains (obviously). Denmark itself looks fine.

The black sea is hard to tell due to how thin it gets at parts (and those parts are blanked out right now), be careful with that. It's also leaning left when it should be relatively straight.

Sweden is missing some major lakes and Cyprus looks bad.

England is a bit too large.

The balearics are a tad small, as is Crete (this is harder to tell though, since it's so blurred out due to the holes, so I may be wrong).

There is too much space between Corsica and Sardinia and as a result Sardinia is way too close to Africa.

Other than that it looks good. What's the map size?

Level 18
Really useful stuff thanks.

The moutains ? I didnt even start making the land part, this is just a drawing :p

Yeah I couldnt make Copenhagen, it was straight in the line of the square >.<

Thanks for Sardinia.

For England I see your point, on the bottom.

Mapsize: 256*256

Level 40
England: Yeah, it's the bottom that's the problem.

Now that I look at the map again, I've noticed that both Italy's toes are a bit too long as well (Sardinia is fairly correctly aligned relative to the toes, but the toes are significantly too long). Check out google maps (handy due to the zoom).

Also, you might want to think about decreasing the map size (although it might be too late for that)... keep it at the same size as the old LoE (unless I misremember and the old LoE was 256, in which case the size is fine). Large map sizes (again, I may be confusing 256 with 480) tend to involve a tad too much walking.

Level 6
there's a massive problem with you're map.....

it's too awsome! aside from the things previously mentioned it conforms exactly to what i know of europe (i'm a history buff so that's a lot)

make shure to avoid blizzard cliffs (i heard they suck) besides using height is a pretty cool looking effect for terrain (unless you need a cliff)

Level 12
Sorry for not being as useful as PurplePoot, I just gave it a quick view. Well, I'm not a mapper, so I can't help as much... but I'll try. I DO know about some basic (BASIC) mapper features, as the map size and how blizzard cliffs suck! :D Ok, they don't suck that much. You can use them.

Level 12
Looking nice. And the last one LOOKS ugly because of the beaches. Because of tiling, pathing problems, etc etc, the smaller part of the terrain that you can tile with is. By the way, it will REALLY be like that? No mixes or something? I mean, ins't there any grass or something in russia? Hmm... (Perhaps you could do Seasons/Weather system? It would be cool. But it is just a visual effect, thus not needed.)

Level 11
Greece and a decent amount of north Africa are very fertile, as are southern Sweden and Norway.

Agreed. This image shows well enough the climate during summer.
Europe_satellite_globe.jpg
And here is early winter. All of Sweden and Scandinavia could be and usually is covered in snow during the winter, but it's only for a few months time.
Northern_Europe_10.17239E_63.58242N_center.png
Yours,
Chizume

Level 18
Because of tiling, pathing problems, etc etc

I dont get what you said.

And terrain is temporary but thanks to PurplePoot and Chizume, I didnt know how I was going to do that, now I know.

Concerning the shape of Europe ?

----EUROPE PROGRESS REPORT----

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.